Windows: How to get latest CPU microcode without modding the BIOS

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Jan 5, 2018.

1. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    what link, new microcode for fix this, my cpu is xeon x5650, intel has fixed this?

[​IMG]

2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    there is no patched microcode for your plaform atm. might be in a few weeks , but can't say for sure.

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well according to this post Kaby Lake CPUs should be on v80 of the firmware/Microcode and that's what the software that can display the microcode such as HWINFO and that is what it says.
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/w...t-modding-the-bios.418806/page-4#post-5510504
    But my BIOS says that the Microcode version is 5e rather than 80 maybe that could be the reasoning of the results of your Mitigation utility that you made. The stepping of my CPU is B0. Which is a 7700HQ.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

5. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    Intel has aknowledged that the firmware updates it has recently released to address the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities can cause sudden reboots on a range of CPUs.
    https://newsroom.intel.com/news/fir...ial-performance-data-for-data-center-systems/

Dragondale13 likes this.
  6. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    And so there is a new firmware? Why is this important? I mean judging by the thread it looks important.

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Because there's a security flaw in the current microcode that can allow access to hidden system memory, monitor keystrokes, etc.

8. maffle

maffle Member

GPU:
    gtx970
    There is no security flaw in the (old) microcode. The new MicroCode just makes the CPUs terrible slow, so the flaw in the CPU design can't be used so easily anymore.

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    all the new microcode does is enable previously unexposed capabilities (IBRS,STIBP, and IBPB) that allow software to mitigate spectre, the microcode doesn't make them slower, patched software that uses the new features do.

if your running unpatched software, the new microcode will do nothing

Jackalito likes this.
  10. maffle

maffle Member

GPU:
    gtx970
    Erm... no? My PC is 60% slower with the MicroCode for IO SSD... there is no patched Software part of this. So I will never use this disgusting MC. It makes your PC unusable.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    software part is OS updates from the CU's

12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    meltdown is mitigated via software patches to the os ,spectre is mtigated through software patches to the os and/or programs + microcode, if you did a fresh install of any os not patched for meldown or spectre, you will see no difference, HOWEVER, there are indeed problems with the new microcode, since intel has acknowledged reboot issues with the new microcode, they will be releasing another update next week if i recall correctly.

another thing to note is that if you do not install the microcode , there could be a performance hit in the future as a workaround now known as retpoline, can be used to mitigate spectre, it is not clear whether retpoline will have a greater or lesser impact than the microcode + soft patches approach down the line, as both of these fixes are not fully optimized yet.
    , it is also unknown as to whether microsoft will implement retpoline at all, and if not , you will be vulnerable to spectre without the new features provided by the microcode.

details on retpoline here https://support.google.com/faqs/answer/7625886

Quick over view on speculation based attack mitigation (IBRS,STIBP, and IBPB) https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-conte...is-of-Speculative-Execution-Side-Channels.pdf

Jackalito likes this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  14. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
  15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    looks like it will be a while before we see any updates, hp has pulled all of the updated bioses, due to the botched microcode from intel.
    all of the dates have been changed to TBD. probably gonna be mid febuary or later before sandy and earlier sees anything.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    still nothing from Asrock for z170 boards, and i still see no microcode updates are pushed by MS either

17. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Intel hasn't released them yet.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I thought the stablized the microcode 2 weeks ago? and released them to manufactures

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I think its only 270/370 (latest Intel MB support), if you look at station-driver lately there a bunch of 270/370 bios listed from this month.
    http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?lang=fr

I would think next month may have broader support, maybe. maybe MS too.

20. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    That was skylake only. Word from manufacturers is that they have pre-release stuff but it sure ain't out for us normies yet :(