Destiny 2, 60hz monitor, Gsync. Capping at 58fps for lower input lag?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by fluidz, Jan 15, 2018.

1. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Heya Guru's,

I am running my monitor at 60hz, and I'm trying to find the best settings, without visual tearing and stuttering and the least amount of input lag for gaming in Destiny 2, with no loss of visual quality.

Would this be, Gsync and Vsync turned on, capping at 58fps via the cvars.xml file?

Equally, which value should I use for rivatuner, for other games?

Thanks for your advice.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    What you said will work great. Personally, I just globally apply Gsync and Vsync in NVCP, and in RTSS limit 2 FPS down like you're doing in the Global profile. Other then horrible Unity Engine games, I've yet to encounter an issue. Destiny 2 works fine with this.

fluidz likes this.
  3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yep that's the correct procedure for a gsync monitor.

Dragam1337, fluidz and yasamoka like this.
  4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    When using g-sync, you should run your monitor at the highest refresh rate available. To get 60Hz, you just cap to 60FPS, which means g-sync will make sure the monitor runs at 60Hz.

This is because the monitor will use the scanout speed of the requested refresh rate, even when currently running at low Hz. This reduces input lag.

So in the nvidia control panel's "3D Settings" section, set "preferred refresh rate" to "highest available". Then cap the game to 60FPS. If your monitor is 144Hz for example, this will give you 60Hz, but the monitor's input lag will be as low as if you were running 144Hz. This is a pretty nice side-effect of g-sync that many people don't know about.

Note: the overall input lag will of course be higher at 60FPS compared to 144FPS, simply because of the lower frame rate, but the monitor's input lag that is added to the overall lag will be as low as if it was running at 144Hz.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    fluidz, MrBonk and yasamoka like this.

5. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Thanks ever so much everyone :)

6. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    I can't see that option "preferred refresh rate".

Any idea why it's missing here? I've tried both 388.71 and 390.65 and can't see it anywhere

[​IMG]

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Does this monitor actually support more than 60Hz? The way you phrased it in your post, it sounded like you lowered the refresh rate to 60Hz, which you shouldn't do with g-sync.

But if your monitor only supports 60Hz, then obviously what I said doesn't apply to you. If the monitor only supports 60Hz, there won't be a "preferred refresh rate" option in the NVCP.

fluidz likes this.
  8. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    My monitor does go up to 100hz. The reason I was using 60hz is my monitor (Acer x34a) has issues with coil whine at 75hz+ whilst browsing the web, and I see lots of random overshoot and some flickering when Destiny 2 stutters - usually after participating in a few public events.

60hz has no issues with overshoot other than the slightly higher input lag.

Animated gif image to demonstrate that "preferred refresh rate" is missing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Does the option appear if you apply max refresh rate?

Alternatively, you can enable it via nvinspector.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That sounds like a reason to RMA rather than limit yourself to 60Hz.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    That's quite nasty. If you CAN bother, RMA it as it doesn't OC towards supported specifications. Otherwise, keep it at 60 if it doesn't bother you, however still I prefer to get what I pay for.

12. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    I checked Nvidia Inspector, its showing in there as "highest available". Thanks.

[​IMG]

I have rma'd this monitor, sent it back to Ebuyer, and this is what I got back..

[​IMG]

I contacted Acer afterwards who said it was faulty. They changed the panel, and sent it back to me not only with coil whine, but another fault (severe uniformity yellowing on one side. Again it went back as it drove me nuts whilst browsing the web. They declared it as faulty and sent me another without uniformity issues but with coil whine and a banding line on the left side of the screen. In total its been sent back 4 times. Each time they've come back with varying amounts of coil whine, some worst than others.

The last time I sent the monitor in, the senior guy contacted me and apologized, said a refund was not possible but saif he would personally overlook the case. Have a guess what? They sent me a monitor with coil whine and a cluster of dark pixels under the screen. I just thought they were rubbing it in at this point.

I've decided lucks just not on my side and tried to work around it, by lowering the overclock and trying my best to ignore the dark patch under the screen.

Now I'm thinking the Gsync module in my screen has gone bad as I'm witnessing stuttering when I'm using Gsync.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Man, sorry to hear all the trouble you go through with that screen. Apparently, I'm lucky, my screen only has bleed in top right corner.
    I would advise to send it back to them again, it's not normal.

Regarding tearing and Gsync, most likely you didn't turn on Vsync and got above your screens refresh rate in terms of FPS, hence the tearing. If you are currently on 60hz, cap at 58fps and turn Vsync on. Also Do not use Gsync Windowed mode, only use Full-Screen version as Windowed one is buggy as hell and can cause severe fps drops.

14. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    If you actually have a 1080Ti and Gsync monitor.. cap at 90fps!! You can set a fps cap in the game's config.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Bungie\DestinyPC\Prefs\cvars.xml

<cvar name="framerate_cap" value=##>

I get a solid 90fps @ 2560x1440 with very few dips with GSync enabled. Running uncapped it runs a tad faster but you get uneven fps with it jumping between ~86-140fps.

[edit]
    Lol.. didn't catch you only have a 60hz screen. Well that changes things.

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Quite nasty. Would you recommend Acer monitors?

Sorry :p

I suppose any monitor claiming to do something in 'overclock' mode should be avoided.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Not necessarily. For instance my PG348q comes out of the box with 60hz rate, however, you can OC it to 100hz. In my case, it worked just fine and I don't have any sort of coil whine. All in all I've read from other users of PG348q - a) some are unable to reach 100hz at all b) some can reach but there is a coil whine c) for some it works and then just overheats.

So on an example of my screen, yes it works, but there are problems. Mainly can be related to Asus QA, but you never know as Asus isn't the one developing the Panel itself (I think in my case its LG's panel).

But then again, PG348q on its release was one of the VERY few Top notch screens which had its feature list, however, soon we will have screens that will include all of those features (and many more, such as HDR) with native 144hz+ support.

So to sum it up, OC option on a screen is great, but you have a chance of facing some issues.

AsiJu likes this.