Download inSpectre

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 17, 2018.

1. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Any links to share ?

It’s all fine and dandy here.

(It would be incredibly easy just to flash the old bios back if anyone has issues after updating microcode)

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @liveonloan
    @OldTarget

Check whether inSpectre utility is 32-bit or 64-bit. It is known strange behaviour on some installations of 64-bit Windows - 32-bit process gets results different from 64-bit process with exact same source code.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  4. liveonloan

liveonloan Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 2GB
    mbk1969
    [​IMG]
    My utility is 32 bit.
    Where can I get the 64 bit version?

5. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    All done to make you buy new hardware, also this tool is it to check weather they can still back door me? Or to open another back door so in 5 years they can reopen this can of worms. Smmh, We all know from the news who is and who isnt. I'll not be using anything SUGGESTED on my computer, cause I don't have 3K to go out and replace what little i do still have.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  7. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Only source is author of that InSpectre utility. I have not searched for the original author page with links - may be he offered both versions. You can send personal message to big boss Hilbert and ask whether he got the contacts of inSpectre author.

PS Also you can try my utility which is made from PowerShell script published by Microsoft, but I am almost certain that it will give same results as mentioned script.

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    AFAIK, there is *no known malware* called either Spectre or Meltdown--these are the nicknames of *vulnerabilities* that have been shown to exist by proof-of-concept but for which there is as of yet no malware exploitation existing in the public domain. Hence it is improper to say "protected against Spectre" since no malware by that name exists. Seems to me that all diagnostic software should rightfully say, "You have the Spectre vulnerability" or "You do not have the Spectre vulnerability"--likewise for Meltdown (the people who thought of these worm-like names for mere proof of concept vulnerabilities should be hung up by their toenails, imo...;) Most of the time, proof of concept vulnerabilities are referred to by innocuous names like "I-312572," etc. And they are quietly patched and shored up.)

So what happens if you do not patch against the Spectre or Meltdown vulnerability at the present time? Nothing, because there is no software which is exploiting either vulnerability. If there is it might be nice if some of these "security firms" would tell us about it and identify it, don't you think? I certainly do.

Patching is up to the individual, but I think it only fair that people get the straight scoop on this--because if either of these vulnerabilities has been exploited by any software in the public domain I have yet to hear of it. Ergo, you cannot "get" either Spectre or Meltdown atm. You may have the theoretical proof-of-concept vulnerabilities, but as of now there is no software that exploits either--so you cannot "get" them.

I will patch at the appropriate time, but I am in no hurry. Already seedy lawyers are beginning class action suits against Intel and AMD for vulnerabilities that have not been exploited and by which no one has been damaged...! IMO, the people behind the sky-is-falling names like Spectre and Meltdown are the same ones pushing the lawsuits. It's disgusting how corrupt things have gotten these days.

alanm and mbk1969 like this.
  10. liveonloan

liveonloan Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 2GB
    mbk1969
    thank you for your advice :)

11. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)
    Intel Core i7-8700K

Meltdown - Safe
    Spectre - Safe
    Performance - Good

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    EVGA has already issued updates for all their X99 boards. Mine is fully stable, and is fully patched.

13. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    So using InSpectre utility with admin and clicking the remove meltdown protection what does it do exactly to disable it? Remove the update from Windows?

Just curious how it removes it to make sure it has.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  15. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    So it uses registry values to stop the patch? As long as it's not in use like the utility says thats good.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Not a good idea, it seems most have whea errors(just leave hwinfo64 on while doing stuff).

Anyways the fact that it's wide spread enough, it doesn't matter that a few report "i have no issues".

For the general public, it's better to wait.

airbud7 likes this.
  17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I saw your single link. Are there other reports besides that one? After all you're pretty much claiming every single BIOS update for millions of processors is flawed.

18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Nope^...He said> ..."For the general public, it's better to wait."

I sure do hope he's right ...my sandy bridge has no hope otherwise.

19. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Many thanks Hilbert for posting this! I have been using some of Steve Gibson's software for over a decade; he is truly an amazing utility creator.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I'm not making claims.
    Data is there.

I've seen it on one of my sytems and if you actually read that thread many people have said the same thing.

Even Intel says do not update the microcode if you haven't.
    If you read, intel specifically states that recommendation for haswell/broadwell.

Point is, if intel says not to update and others have reported issues, why take the risk?
    They will be implementing a newer revision.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Lex Luthor and TheDeeGee like this.