Black Screen at bootup with Nvidia 52.16 Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SteveH44, Oct 25, 2003.

1. SteveH44

SteveH44 New Member

GPU:
    Ati X850XT PE
    I tried the Nvidia 50 series drivers during beta testing, and a'm having the same problem with the new 52.16 ref drivers.
    After booting up, all I get is a black screen. I had been running 45.23 with no problems. Is it a mobo problem or video card problem ? I have de-installed previous drivers before installing new ones. System specs are as follows
    Asus P4C800E Deluxe (bios ver 11), P4 3.0 Ghz, 1 Gig Corsair DC-DDR RAM, PNY FX5600 Ultra 128 meg video, 2 Seagate SATA 120gig drives (non raid), MS Windows XP Home. Any help or recommendations would be great. Thanks !

2. trollafrogg

trollafrogg Member

GPU:
    evoNvidiaG4MX420 pci 64DDR
    my machine goes into an endless reboot on install and will reboot continuosly from then on with all 5xxx drivers.

seriously a problem.

3. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

Ok folks, here's the deal. The reason you're getting a black on startup is, either the system files necessary for the display adapter had been removed, or that you have installed these drivers over the previous one without removing the older ones.... I know you have uninstalled the previous drivers, but still there are some files and registry entries which are left behind that you have to remove manually with the help of some driver cleaning utility. While there are many, the only reliable that I found was Driver Cleaner 2.0 (beta). You should follow the following steps in order to restore ur display or you can consult Seraph's sticky "how to remove dets and cats in XP" thread:

1. Go into safe mode, uninstall the drivers using Add/remove. Reboooot

2. Again boot into safe mode, this can be done by pressing the F8 key. This time load Driver Cleaner by installing it. When it loads, select the nvidia tab, and then click on "clean" button. It will then remove all those unnecessary junk files. Then rebooot.

3. This time, you should booot normally into windows. If the display is back on, then the culprit has been terminated. If it's not, then I'm afraid you'll have to ask somebody else or reformat.

Note: If you can't boot into safe mode, like being stuck on the last file, i.e, agp440.sys...............it takes some while to load these...just be patient...
    And one more thing, never ever use Driver Cleaner in any modes other than " SAFE MODE" or else you'll definitely mess with your system. Good luck and tell me if it solves the problem......

4. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

After successful loading of the normal windows, you can install the new drivers as you like..............That's all, and after installing, apply refresh rate fix by downloading refresh force , apply it and then restart for on last time........From there on, you can play as u like :).....

5. SteveH44

SteveH44 New Member

GPU:
    Ati X850XT PE
    A big thanks to hulk 2k3, did exactly what you said, and everything seems to be fine - least machine boots to the desktop. In the past never had problems with driver installs, but this version seems to have needed a virgin install.

Again Thanks !

SteveH44