ASRock introduces Quad M2 PCIe SSD add-in card (with active cooling)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Granzon likes this.
  2. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    "The ASRock Ultra Quad M.2 Card will cost roughly 79 EUR/USD." For that price, I think I'll get 3 of them ;)

3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Interesting... mind you i didn't think m.2's really got that hot and could be cooled with a simple fin stack.

Though i wonder if there will be bandwidth issues, or if this would soak the bandwidth away from say GPU's

rl66 likes this.
  4. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    What to expect from this, well you can check similar product from Asus,it is mind blowing
    Link :

5. Granzon

Granzon Guest

GPU:
    Radeon WX 4100
    A really brilliant idea behind the product , With nm advancements and PCIE 4.0 , I am awaitng PCIE 4.0 Raid configuration which will produce hysteric benchmarks.

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Technicaly it is not that hot :) , exept in a really not improved ventilation (low cost tuning chassis) or heavy charge server, passive cooling could be enough.

But there is even WC for m2 now...
    Anyway Cooler is always better... so why not :) ? and this one is a nice looking one.

7. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    This is something that got my interest for future. All depending how many Pcie lanes Zen+ gives.
    And i don´t think the prize is that bad either.

8. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    "Very nice!!". Now to find out what threadripper 2 is going to deliver and this bad boy might be part of a New build.

9. Misha Engel

Misha Engel Guest

GPU:
    GTX970
    This doesn't work in a 8 electrical/16 mechanical slot, for that you would need a highpoint SSD7101 which has a PLX chip inside to convert 8 PCIe (electrical) to 4x 4PCIe but at a cost (€ 400).
    With EPYC which has so many PCIe it wouldn't be a problem.

10. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Nice, this looks awesome! So here is a question : I have a MSI X399 mobo , 1950X Threadripper all setup with the NVMe RAID update( by BIOS and driver ), can I add this card in and RAID1 two sets SSD NVMe M.2s and run another set of two SSD NVMe M.2s in regular mode(so use all 4 slots)? Basically the add in card will add a new pool of 4 NVMe's M.2s to my system and let the mobo control them in RAID or how ever else I want?

If I can use my RAID on the mobo to config this card I will get this for sure and remove the NVMe's M.2s off my mobo. Thanks for the heads up on the new tech.

Found this: https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=ULTRA QUAD M.2 CARD * so it looks like that is a yes! *

"Bootable M.2 RAID Support
    Supports up to 4 PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2 SSDs on AMD X399 platform and Virtual RAID on CPU (VROC) technology on Intel® X299 platform. Allows you to create a bootable RAID array with up to 4 M.2 SSDs."

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

11. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    As far as i know, with Asus card you need to have mobo support. Mobo needs to be able to split X16 in to 4 X4 virtually, that needs to be done in bios, i am not sure about Asrock solution but i suspect it is similar, so double check everything before you pull the trigger

varkkon likes this.
  12. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Cool hmmm, good point I will check it out first for sure. Thanks for the heads up and info.

13. Kevin cobley

Kevin cobley Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070
    The 6 Pin connector is an unnecessary sales pitch, NVme SSD's never draw more than 10w, usually less than 5w. It's like those sales pitches for 2 x 8pin graphics cards for a GTX 1080 that draws 180w.
    Conflating power plugs with performance.

14. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Yes because a 6 pin is gonna raise the price that much more, and be the selling gimmick they need. SMDH.

IM not even gonna get into about dual 8 pins being a sales pitch for a 1080. Nice bait.

15. Bytales

Bytales Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 750Ti 2Gb

16. Lukart

Lukart Active Member

GPU:
    Waiting for the next Gen
    Selling the same stuff Asus charges for double... ahah I guess Asustek made their biggest mistake when the spin off AR :D