Geforce driver 390.65 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by skizzo, Jan 8, 2018.

1. yoe

yoe Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 2.15/11.1
    390.65 doesnt remember settings in nvidia panel resolution/colour (always at windows startup is set an rgb not ycbcr that i selected earlier), desktop settings and scaling going to default too at windows start. First driver in years that i uninstalled in the day when was installed :D. Windows 8.1 x64.

2. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Maybe this is why Rise of the tomb raider was artifacting for me on dx12. I might test again without an OC but overall I really want to skip these drivers.

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I don't know if it was the drivers or a patch, but asynchronous compute is now turned back on in Wolfenstein 2. Excellent drivers though as usual, no stability or performance issues here.

4. cyberfredxxx

cyberfredxxx Member Guru

GPU:
    WF 780 GTX
    Small bug for me with these drivers : I must disable the sound for hdmi (nvidia control pannel , in hdmi properties) at every reboot :/
    I dont want HDMI sound on my monitor because I ve sound card with speaker !
    first Time I must do this , very strange :(

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Make sure your sound card is selected as your default device in windows, under the sound options.

6. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    HDMI sound bug for me also.
    Frustrating issue cause after every reboot I have to disable HDMI sound on one of the two TVs I have attached to my gpu.

Stability and performance are ok.

7. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Happens too me to is very strange. But my sound work's fine my sound card is Asus Xonar Essence STX

8. Probotector

Probotector Member

GPU:
    Crossfire 290 @ 1100/1400
    Hi, with this driver VSYNC Adaptative don't work in Ghost Recon Wildlands, all fu**ing time tearing, in the previous driver works perfect.

Windows 7 x64 with Xeon X5670 @ 4.4 GHz and EVGA FTW GTX 1070

Thanks for your time, I hope this trouble can be fixed.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  10. cyberfredxxx

cyberfredxxx Member Guru

GPU:
    WF 780 GTX
    Hi Carfax ,

already done ;) and it seems I m not alone with this bug : I think it s a problem in 390.65.
    actually , only solution for me is too disable the nvidia sound card in control panel

but ,stability and perf it s ok for me too , absolutely no problem.

11. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    drivers are unstable for me. Introduces blank/black screen at login, seems to forget settings, causes reboots, and seems to introduce stuttering in some games. reverting to prior driver fixed everything.

I also noticed some games/ apps take longer to launch with this driver.

There is a lot of underlying monkey work on this driver as it also creates new directories that were not there and a few files I haven't seen before.

Regardless, for me, its a skip this one conclusion

12. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Did nothing to alleviate the driver crashes I've had ever since the introduction of 384.xx. Had 2 crashes within 15min of each other whilst playing Phase Shift today.

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Quite obviously not a driver issue if you're having it over three different branches.

14. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I use the curve overclocking to undervolt and overclock my GTX 1080 on my laptop and the old curve still works fine. Granted, the overclock isn't all that high as it's my laptop's temperature/performance sweet spot (solid 1873MHz core clock), but I mainly undervolt the thing to keep load temperatures as low as possible due to it being a laptop. Just like previous drivers it's still rock stable, though, and doesn't fluctuate (I've also set Prefer Maximum Performance in Nvidia Inspector, though). Perhaps only the "Optimal" or "Adaptive" performance settings are affected.
    I did use the latest version of DDU before installing the new driver, though, and removed all the bloaty components like GeForce Experience, etc. from the driver package before installation, so that may also affect it.

I don't overclock my Titan X (Pascal) desktop via curve, so I can't comment on that. My regular +210/2100MHz overclock with +0 core voltage is still rock stable, though.

15. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    The crashes begun at the exact same time as everyone started having Firefox crashes (which still happen, but are rare). I've tried just about everything short of a Windows reinstall (including hardware stability testing, and running everything at stock). At this point I have no reason to think it's anything but an unresolved driver issue.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Unrelated. Firefox crashes are caused by Firefox renderer. If you're having driver crashes in a lot of different games then it's most likely a h/w issue.

17. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    I haven't come across any concrete evidence that it's a Firefox issue, only that logic was added to recover more gracefully from the driver crashes. Do you have a source to support that claim?

No, the only applications I experience crashes in are Phase Shift (frequent), Firefox (rare, maybe 2-3 times over the past 3-4 months), GTA V (once, though this one may have been a game bug).
    Everything else runs without issue.

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Application was crashing the user part of the driver - it's an application issue.

This logic was added back in Vista, Firefox just made use of it finally.

Then it's most likely an issue with these applications. Driver crash in some specific application is usually this application's issue.

19. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Since you card seems to be factory overclocked ("superclocked"), try downclocking it to Nvidia reference clocks and see if the crashes still happen. If they don't, then perhaps that factory overclock has just become unstable, in which case you should probably contact EVGA to replace your card under warranty (if you still are in your warranty period) or run the card at reference clocks.
    I myself had two EVGA factory overclocked video cards that became unstable at their factory overclocks after a couple of years each (I also had another one that remained stable at them) and going back to Nvidia reference clocks solved it for me, which is why I'm suggesting to try this route.
    You could also try to turn off any overclocks on other components if you have any applied and see if it helps in case any other overclock may have become unstable over time.

If it doesn't help, either there coiuld be a "more serious" hardware issue or it's simply a software issue, the latter being more likely.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  20. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Glad to know it is not only me. Also, sorry but I can'e comment on your suggestions as I am not familiar with those products. On my gaming laptop I replaced the GPU die paste with IC Diamond and the pads on the VRAM and VRMs with K5 PRO and it significantly reduced my temperatures making an extreme overclock 100% rock solid. I don't plan on modding this card at all because the cooling solution is so good I never go over 51C with 60% fan.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to use maximum performance to see if it stabilises the overclock curve for me.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018