Review: ASUS Republic Of Gamers Maximus X Apex

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the lovely looking ASUS ROG Maximus X Apex motherboard. A € 349,- costing Z370 motherboard style for the high-end PC crowd. It has distinctive looks, PCB cutouts and some of the mos...

Review: ASUS Republic Of Gamers Maximus X Apex

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This board ticks so many right boxes but then only had two dimm slots? i understand dual channel is often the best for this chipset, but it also removes the chances for many people later down the line to upgrade to more storage without taking out the ones they already had installed. seems like an odd move. same with Sata, unless they are just going for the high end market? thinking the people buying it would only get a 4TB SSD and use the M.2s with 32GB Dimm rams... but who knows, it's a strange one at that.

Love the 5G Lan jack, shame England is still nowhere near using the 1G lan let alone 5G :D but its nice to see them finally be put on motherboards even if it is only the high end ones right now

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    According to some other reviews RMAA results are bellow ROG standards. True, that is still above transparency requirements, but it rubs me the wrong way. APEX should be The High End of the high end.

About 11AD and 60GHz. Is there any research required by some governing body in regards to health consequences?

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    These faceplates are customizable, ASUS threw in this one for fun, however completely used the wrong font though :)

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Haha I have 0 interest in this product, but I came here because the Guru3D in the article thumbnail caught my eye. Depending how the logo was cut, I'm sure the font you use might've been a problem for them. The tail from the "g" is really close to the loop. Milling might've caused that piece to bend or snap off, and laser cutting might've warped it (not too much room for heat to escape).

I guess it's the thought that counts. At least we all know your reviews aren't influenced by such things.

6. maddog55

maddog55 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 G PLUS
    360 smakeroonies?"!....it's a pricey bit of kit and hobbled by a couple of strange on board choices...
    my Hero V1 is a lowly companion for this upmarket kit,i use my ethernet port in place of a Wifi card ;)
    nice review nonetheless Hilbert :).

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Seeing as the incompatibility with other 1151s is merely "because Intel said so" and is not because of a hardware limitation, I expect no more than 2 or 3 generations.

8. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Just got this board, moved away from evga because of how lacking it is in the looks department and not to many features. But this board, heck it has profiles for 5/5.1ghz overclocks right from the factory. Of course the voltages are a bit high, was able to come down quite a bit. Still tryn to figure out how to get my ring ratio higher then 4.4ghz. Also the xmp for 4000mhz ram was easy to. Great board all and the review was spot on with it. Just need the bios to mature just a bit more. Also I need to do some reading on all the extra things in the bios, that iv never seen before.

tunejunky likes this.
  9. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Hurry up - read fast before Z470 comes out! ;-)
    Intel tik&tok *****.
    *thanks for the great review :)
    [​IMG]

10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    the sexiest mobo extant.

i wish i had a need for it to fill.
    my Threadripper build (8c/16t) is more than sufficient for heavy lifting, and my Ryzen 1700 has more than enough oomph for gaming with a gtx 1080ti. i could give zero "flux" whether or not i'm dropping 2-5 fps especially when using G-Sync.

as much as the 8700k is the spiritual grandson of my much beloved (lga 2011, 2011-3) X-99 series cpu's, i have to pass mainly on Intel ca$h grab chipsets and lack of compatibility.

at least with TR4 and AM4 i do not have to worry about upgrading the cpu's..

11. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    Check again, there are 4 DIMM slots on this board but 2 are filled.