MSI Releases BIOS Updates To Address Recent Vulnerabilities

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2018.

1. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    The BIOS for my board had the same exact build number but it was 1.2 whereas my previous BIOS was 1.1 and the one before that was 1.0
    It's been like this for a while now, at least for MSI's Z370 lineup.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. s0x

s0x Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    Ahm.. No.
    Z170A Gaming Pro version 1E is not the latest with the fixes.
    I have the beta one given by MSI Support, but it's wonky in regards to voltage and c-states not getting disabled (there are in fact 3 beta bioses for this one, 1F2, AE2 and BE1; only tested the 1F2 given by support).

3. eddward

eddward Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 GAMING X
    New bios updates are available even though are not visible on the web page yet. You can check with manually modified download link like download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7B45vA2.zip -> download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7B45vA3.zip

4. s0x

s0x Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    Well.. @eddward . Thanks. But:

Tried it up-to the BE on the 7984 (MSI Z170A Gaming Pro, supposedly, after reading the changelog I guess I was somewhat wrong in the previous reply [read below]).

It's the one already available for the Z170(non A) KRAIT one, I'd guess then that the 1? would be Z170A GP, A? some other board, and B? the Krait one.
    Still waiting for the release of the 1F for the Z170A Gaming Pro. The 1E is not the one with the fixes, contrary to the listed on the news item.

5. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    I have the X99 Pro Carbon Gaming. Latest BIOS is 1.3 from 2016. But this article says the new BIOS for my mobo with the fix will also be 1.3. This is confusing.

The whole list doesn't make sense as I did a search and found the same thing with other mobos.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Because the update is not ready yet. Read the damn article.

It says right in the article....
    They can't possibly make it any clearer.

E7971IMS.1I0 is the bios version that will be released containing the "fix" when it's finally ready.

At the bottom of the article it even states:

7. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    So from what I understand is, this problem affects all computers for the last 10 years or so.
    So therefore, every single product every made should by law be required to update. Since it has potentially huge problems associated with it.
    Even if a car manufacturer had a car that was 10 years old and a design flaw was suddenly found, they would still be responsible for making it safe.

EU Where are you when we need you?

TheDeeGee likes this.
  8. s0x

s0x Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    Still not available on the download section (it's still version 1E(0) listed as last).
    1F(0) available via manual download link.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Z170A GAMING PRO (MS-7984) V1.F BIOS Release
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. This is AMI BIOS release
    2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
    - Improve NVME compatibility.
    - Update micro code.
    - Improve USB 2.0 device can not work properly after resume from S3 mode.
    - Improve memory compatibility.
    - Update Intel ME for security vulnerabilities
    3. 2017/12/27

Now later to test voltage (adaptive+offset) and c-states again (were broken on the beta 1F(2)).

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I saw my Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H got a BIOS update the 27th of November 2017... so there is still hope i get one for a Microcode.

10. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    The latest Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon BIOS update (7A12v18 from last year) doesn't solve the problem!

11. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Of course it won't "solve the problem" i.e. mitigate the issue with Meltdown & Spectre: BIOS 7A12v18 is 8 months old and contains old CPU microcodes. Be patient and MSI would release BIOS with updated CPU microcodes or if you're unpatient you could ask their tech support to send you yet unreleased Beta BIOS with latest 2018-01-08 CPU microcodes few days released by Intel.

12. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    It's stated:
    MSI Z and X-series motherboards BIOS versions with updated security microcode-
    Z170 Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON E7A12IMS.180

Which is not entirely true and that's why I posted that comment, because that BIOS version from last year it's included in the list.
    From MSI site: 7A12v18
    Description
    - Improved NVME device compatibility.
    - Improved memory compatibility problem.

13. s0x

s0x Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    Below image after the installation of the 1F(0) on the MSI Z170A Gaming Pro. BIOS is from 13/Dec, microcode update released by intel on the 8/Jan is not included.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  14. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I agree with you it's a bit misleading because below MSI Z and X-series motherboards BIOS versions with updated security microcode ...HH listed latest curently latest BIOS'es for X99 to Z270 MSI motherboards, BIOS'es who are few months old on average and they doesn't contain latest Intel CPU microcodes released by Intel 2018-01-08. Guess in next few days you can expect latest BIOS for MSI Z170 mobo of yours with updated CPU microcode.

15. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yep, that last post I quoted explains the problem & confusion, they're not released yet, I'm still seeing the old BIOS from May, which is the same version listed in the table with the supposedly 'updated security microcode' - it must be a mistake in the article or of the press release (because I've seen the same on other websites). My version still the old one from May:
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-KRAIT-GAMING-3X.html#down-bios