Geforce driver 390.65 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by skizzo, Jan 8, 2018.

1. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I have a 780Ti SLI and with these drivers the load is very irregular because on one card the usage is 90-100% while on the other is 10-20%.
    With the previous drivers the load for the SLI was much more balanced and logically the FPS was higher.

Returning at 388.71.

2. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Need more details

3. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Can you provide more detail? Like pausing or microstutter?

4. SyntaX

SyntaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    its more like pausing. iam using G-Sync. It looks like i could fix it with a lower fpscap@135. With 388.71 i can use cap@140 without that behaivor.

5. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I also use Gsync and mostly play BF1 and Battlefront 2. Both seem to run like crap after this driver. Random stuttering. Even tried turning down settings to no avail.

6. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    There was a magic trick that worked last patch for me I read somewhere. It was setting Max prerendered frames to 2. It was the first time I really had BF1 running well. As of this latest patch it no longer works!

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    that must be a gsync issue cause it seems smoother to me in BF1 and BF4 than with my last version (388.13).
    I do run fps caps with vsync disabled, but performance seems good to me.

PS: I also run max prerender (RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 2) in user.cfg .
    Anyway, no stuttering/pauses with this setup.

8. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Nice to hear some feedback on these games, ofc not nice that they run crappy for you mate but ofc maybe it's something on your end after all, more feedback needed (inlc. Gsync users..)

9. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Well I have no issues in BF2. Runs just the same as on previous driver, no stutters etc.

10. CrazyT666

CrazyT666 Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Okay, nvidia freestyle is pretty nice

I have just installed GFE to test it and tbh i like it (i avoid that before), yeah i know there is reshade but in some games it can trigger a ban.

A Keeper for me, seems stable on my end atleast, couldn't see anything that didn't benefit from it!

Stormyandcold and AsiJu like this.

11. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Anyone got the stand-alone Vulkan runtime ?

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  13. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    As that was my experience with the 390.65, my SLI didn't work as it should in the games I use most, which are BF4 and BF1.
    Now that I'm back at 388.71, everything's back to normal.

14. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    By the way, I lost about 100 points on the Superposition Benchmark, both in monogpu and SLI mode.

15. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    It is good to hear that it is not running bad for everyone. Maybe there is some way I can fix it.

16. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    BF2 is maybe harder to test things in because you can't see your ping and the rubberbanding still hasn't been fixed.

17. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I had a rock solid OC and now with these drivers I am experiencing nvlddmkm nvidia driver crashes. I noticed in afterburner that my card has to boost up to higher voltage than any previous driver just to maintain stability which has thrown out my OC as use a curve in afterburner rather than a straight number OC in order to have it boost to lower voltages for higher clocks. I have also noticed that curve overclocking is completely wonked with this driver as well as the curve continually changes and nothing I do can get it to stick to a specific path so I either have to set a specific core OC number and have it boost to higher voltages in order to maintain clocks which in turn brings them back down or use a super wonky curve that works perfectly in some games and completely goes whacked out in others making them unstable. I get I can just kill my OC but gall diddly darn it I didn't buy this specific card which comes with a binned chip and cooling from their 1080 Ti model just to NOT overclock it.

I also find that some benchmark stutter hard like heaven, but games seem to be relatively smooth if the driver isn't crashing on me. Anyone else finding their previous rock solid OC unstable?

18. dani_tx

dani_tx Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    For once i can see noticeable OPTIMUS improvement (Chrome/Chromium excluded...of course) so give them some credit guys.I can surely say that this driver is one of the best ones for laptops with switchable graphics/eGPU.:D

Stormyandcold likes this.
  19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Not the first time that a new driver makes a previously stable OC unstable.

20. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080S SHUNT MOD
    This driver made my GTX1060 OC very unstable.
    In my laptop I had almost stable 1872MHz on core with drops to 1860 and +750MHz on memory (I almost find stable +800mhz on memory but i didnt had time to test it longer and i changed the driver) with 388.71 driver. undervolteted to 0.875 with temps not further than 73/74 C and after 390.65 The best I can do is 1810/1797 on core and +700mhz on memory undervolted to 0.85/0.862 ( didnt have time to check which is more stable) but also my temps are now around 76/77C.
    I have also noticed that my i7 7700hq undervolted -160 on cores and -100 on iGPU is also hoter under all cores running mayby because od higer gpu temp. Now is hitting 79/82C before it was maxing to 76/77

Mott, I also think that this driver makes gpu to use higher voltage which couse problem with OC and make higher temps and artifacting

VERY BAD DRIVER FOR OC

Btw
    I now have Kryonaut 12.5 W/mK paste on cpu and gpu and minuspads on memmory and Power sections. what do you think about changing paste to phobya nanogrease Extreme 16W/mK and changing thermalpads to Gelid GP Extreme which are 12W/mK

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018