Microsoft Talks About Spectre and Meltdown Patches Performance Impact

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    Well no need to worry performance decrease, since i aint getting microcode upgrade. Just really pissing me off, since there is nothing wrong with my 2600k...

This just feels alot of headaches for server owners, personal and insdustry wise.

3. Cbotha15

Cbotha15 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Seems like a ploy to get people to buy into the Win 10 ecosystem?

ocsystem likes this.
  4. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Servers are &^*%ed.

More surprising is how gamers are more upset about a few loss of framerates vs. your privacy being completely null and void. Jesus. Talk about bought and paid for. Go back to sleep world.

Embra and Silva like this.

5. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I have a 4790k PC on Win10 I use for productivity. It is the one I am most worried about. I am not sure why the privacy is not a bigger issue, it's really the main issue causing all the mess. :confused:

Serotonin likes this.
  6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    There's a microcode update for sandybridge, just slim chance mainboards of that era will get an update.

7. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    So, my only hope, more or less, is that someone else just happens to inject that microcode into my MB latest bios?

Anyways, still going for Zen+, but i always use my older hardware for something else, but this one is abit harder with the security flaws, unless some personal data pc, backup pc, or something.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Correct, it's a relatively simple fix to do that if you need it.

Darkiee likes this.
  9. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    Right, cheers.

A slim chance, i could do it on my own?

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I will just keep an eye on Tweaktown for my Motherboard.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    There isn't a way to set up the microcode without a BIOS update? Linux allows you to use new CPU-specific microcode with relatively no effort at all (depending on your distro, you don't have to do anything at all). Unless there's something I'm not understanding here (which could very well be the case) I don't see why the same couldn't be done in Windows.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yep with the UBU tool.

You'll need to wait till the end of january, not all CPUs have fixed microcode yet.

Sandybridge cpu000206A7_plat12_ver00000029 is the current version from 2013, the version is 29.
    Updated one should be higher than that.

Check this page at the end of the month to see if the update is available. Just download the Intel microcode pack and check the that string, you would be looking for a version >29, ie v30 or 2A
    https://www.win-raid.com/t3355f47-Intel-AMD-amp-VIA-CPU-Microcode-Repositories.html

You'll also find the UBU tool in a subforum there.

Yes there is, windows already does this. Just need the updated microcode library

fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.
  13. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    Thanks alot! Bookmarking it.

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It does seem like that... I´m gonna wait for some tests to see the performance impact.

15. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX Merc BE
    What about Haswell-E? Is it the same as with Haswell?

16. HandR

HandR Member

GPU:
    RTX4090
    Yep, Haswell-E has the same cores as Haswell. It just has more cores on the package, among other extras.

17. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If performance drops, gotta overclock a bit more. Intel guarantees overclocking, after all.

18. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    AGREED 100% ... false advertising we got less than what we were expecting. and who do we blame? they all did it. amd, intel, even ARM processors. and before anyone flames Microsoft, apple did it too they're just not talking about it as much. I even seem to recall some article or person warning about this prefetch cache vulnerability (forgive my newb language if I butchered that) in the hardware. pretty sure they knew this was coming.

so what does the consumer do? file a class action lawsuit against 4 companies? it's like they had a race to the bottom to avoid being singled out. typical corporation style, let's cut every corner possible to maximize profits then do something about it only after we're caught. I want every percent of performance loss of my money back. MS should open another window for free windows 10 migrations. amd and intel should have some buy back program. something... seems kinda criminal to just let them get away with this.

19. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    also it bricked windows 10 on my old laptop. getting the 'sits at w10 logo screen forever' startup crash glitch. have to force shut down and invoke auto startup repair twice to fix it... just like i read about. at which point it removes the infamous KB4056892 update. then I can't even update anymore because it will just install it and brick my system again. dual boot w7 on that (and every) machine which works just fine ... (and w7 did incorporate a patch for this in an early monthly rollout, according to another thing I read so no worries there allegedly). but still...

pissed that I can't run windows 10 on that laptop at all or KB4056892 will install and brick it again. some "fix" ... I guess it's pretty secure if I can't even run the operating system LOL. /clap

also, am I the only one with this nagging conspiracy theory that this is all a sham to hijack all our machines for some cluster computing project at DARPA or something? someone with technical expertise talk me down... lol

ooh, found it. everyone put on your tin foil hats

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra..._conspiracy_theories/?st=jc9fdvqu&sh=81e58ffa

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  20. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I think it's all a scam, Meltdown and Spectre might be real issues but I think these performance drops are artificial, the architecture hasn't changed that much with each new chip generation for these patches to have less performance impact on newer chips than older generations. This seems like the perfect ploy to sell new CPU's, they'll probably come out with a new marketing scheme as well, Spectre and Meltdown Invulnerable or some crap like that, this is what happens when companies stop innovating, I mean seriously AMD is the only reason we have an increase in CPU cores now, if they hadn't brought the competition Intel would still be flogging 4 core CPU's as their flagship range, I will wait and see but it all seems a bit shady to me.