Wi-Fi Alliance announces WPA3 encryption protocol

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There have been a number of flaws with WPA2, last year, for example, the KRACK vulnerability that was patched on many devices. Ergo, it is time to update to something newer and better. ...

Wi-Fi Alliance announces WPA3 encryption protocol

sverek likes this.
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Nice. Will it possible to implement WPA3 with software upgrade, or new hardware will be required? (Ex: getting a new smartphone, wi-fi router, etc...)

3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Software should be possible, however the question still remains how many are going to do that, and how many will try to sell you new hardware instead.

386SX likes this.
  4. hurobot

hurobot Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Clsfd
    exactly

5. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Seems kinda strange, isn't WPA2 supposed to use AES ? I don't believe AES was ever broken or that anyone even came close to it. Or is it simply a problem of implementation ?

6. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Sounds a lot like Intel, doesn't it? :)

Another problem is: How many customers are going to upgrade their router (I assume you spoke of vendors before, right?) if a firmware update is available? Grandma won't upgrade her router by herself for sure, but is still online surfing the web for cat pics.

7. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    WPA2 isn't inherently insecure, so thats fine. Many devices also auto-update these days - if an update is available.

8. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    The weaknesses are in the Wi-Fi standard itself, and not in individual products or implementations. Therefore, any correct implementation of WPA2 is likely affected - from researchers that found KRACK

9. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I partially agree. :)
    WPA2 isn't as insecure as advertised by the media, but the possibility to crack WPA2 passwords in a reasonable amount of time is there.
    Source: https://www.krackattacks.com/

For example a --software name removed-- attack with help of EC2 gives you a 10-char password in a couple of seconds. I won't post links for that, but google and you will find enough links to provide proof for my statement.

10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Except you can protect against KRACK today.

386SX likes this.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    meh time for new routers to be sold with those new cpu you need to fix a flaw that patching with sw will reduce performance in?

12. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt

Oh I see, thanks. They specifically attack the handshake when connecting to the network and exchanging the keys. So this really needs just a SW fix. But the entire new protocol will take a long time to create and approve, let alone enforce someone to use it.

386SX likes this.