AMD Adrenalin Driver Has Issues With Older DX9 Games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    What a bunch of whiney ass cry babies you 'guys' are.

Triggered fanboy gathering in here just about.

2. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    To all those people saying AMD drivers are terrible, I've got both in systems and nVidia drivers are worse, anyone that says otherwise should run both to find out. This week alone I've had issues with nVidia Surround and 1080 SLi when I plug in my Rift. The surround goes crazy and needs to be reset after I unplug any forth display. This is a driver problem with the HB Bridge NVidia charge an extra £40 for. There are pages of reports on the nVidia forum with no help at all for over a year.

Exact same setup with a pair of Fury X cards and Eyefinity works perfectly, and crossfire scales much better.

I'm not saying I prefer AMD GPUs but half the stuff people regurgitate on here about drivers is just asd bad on both sides.

3. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    This is pretty poor by AMD if they do not fix this. I certainly don't want to have to keep changing drivers every time I play an older game and then switch to something newer.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I had issues running Black Mesa, and my FakeFactory modded HL2 and its Episodes (which are Dx9) on my Vega on these drivers , and the 17.11.2s (they were just booting up to a black screen, could hear the sound still, but only way out was a hard restart), but it turns out, which i only just discovered tonight, that i only need Afterburner running, and a frame cap set in the RTSS for them to work :p

How weirds that! :D

Also tested the theory, by having Afterburner running, without a frame-cap (so set to 0), and sure enough, they booted to a Black screen, requiring a hard restart :p

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

5. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    There drivers have improved immensely over the years. They are now a lot better than they used to be. I myself very rarely have any game related issues. But this is something that needs to be sorted.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Maddness, Keitosha and warlord like this.
  7. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    TheDeeGee likes this.
  8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Even newly released games use DX9 to this day... I assume it's because many are familiar with it so they just use it for games that don't require complexity. 90%+ of my games are likely some variant of DX9, aside from my library of console games (emulation).

9. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    This is going to be fixed, but come on AMD, this is really bad PR.

10. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK

11. Domhq

Domhq Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic R9 270X
    Same problem with Injustice 1. Back to desktop. Wtf AMD. 17.11 brand works fine.

12. The Commenter

The Commenter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Tri X x2
    Do people really believe these nvidia online influencers ?
    Their comments are so idiotic. No one could possibly believe that an AMD customers would go green because of a driver issue with old selective DX9 games....LOL

13. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Just tried C&C3 on my GT1030, got like 999fps! What a beast. :p:D

Anyway, good thing AMD will come with a hotfix.

14. kithylin

kithylin New Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 4GB
    So apparently this is all DirectX9 on Windows 10, according to the error messages. Do the new driver packages work on windows 7? Has anyone tried any or all of these games on windows7, with the newer drivers to see if it's just a Win10 issue?

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Crashes on Windows 7 as well, it has nothing to do with the OS.

16. kithylin

kithylin New Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 4GB
    The reason I asked is Windows 10 doesn't support anything DirectX-9 "out of the box", you have to install DirectX drivers to even get games to run in the first place. Where as Win7 does support any DX9 game out of the box (And DX8 and DX7 for that matter) without having to install anything other than just the video card drivers. Win7 is a lot more "Compatible" with older games. So I thought perhaps it was just a win10 issue, guess not.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    What? A lot of us play DX9 games. I have several long RPGs in my Steam library which I haven't finished yet and they're DX9 based. One big category is ports of Japanese games from the PS3/360 era; they almost exclusively use DX9, and those are being released to this day.

Aso keep in mind League of Legends is the most actively played game in the world. If these driver issues affect even 5% of LoL players that's a massive number.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Maddness and Fender178 like this.
  18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Strange, i ran various old games DX9 and older without having to install DirectX.

I run Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1703)

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You be surprised on how many gamers play DX9 games. It isnt all about the newest and greatest games you know. Seems like to me that this comment is idiotic.

20. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It looks like AMD is gonna fix it. That is some good news there. Although, they probably should have responded sooner.