Radeon Adrenalin Edition 17.12.2 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Rambo, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Mikhailmol

Mikhailmol Guest

GPU:
    RX 470s, 480s, 570s
    Windows 10 64bit, four cards - two RX 480 and two RX470. Latest Afterburner 4.2 and previous 4.1 don't work if there are more than 3 cards in your rig in compute mode. Haven't tried in graphics mode yet. What I mean by don't work is that you can't change any of the controls. Also it doesn't monitor the cards showing 0 for all the values. It also doesn't show the drivers version installed. If you have less than four cards then all the controls work and it shows all the values. As soon as you install the fourth card into your computer - MSI Afterburner is useless and the cards are loaded with default settings from their bios.

If anyone has a fix for this - please, let me know.

2. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Current version is 4.4.2, have you tried it?

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Instead of using AfterBurner, try using OverdriveN Tool. The miner dudes all fap over it.

4. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    My GPU usage reads at 100% in all 3rd party applications and Tekken has barley been playable since 17.9 due to stuttering and frame drops.

5. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Seems like you have some kind of cryptocurrency minning virus in system.

6. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    Thats funny I actually presumed my HDMI cable was on it's way out. Thanks for the heads up that you too have HDMI lost signals.

7. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I had similar issue few years back, turned out to be corrupted cable. Try other hdmi cable to see if it helps.

8. Framani

Framani Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 8G
    Hey, does anybody have their wattman profiles reset every time the PC resumes from sleep? Can anybody provide a solution to this problem? Thanks in advance.

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I have had that happen before when I had my HD 7950 crossfire. Couldnt figure out how I was only getting 30fps with 100% gpu usuage in BF4 when previously I avged 80-100. Malwarebytes found 2 crytp0 miners and this was in 2014. It was using about 40% gpu usuage. But didnt push it hard enough to throw 3d clocks.

10. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    So, custom games profiles don't survive reboot... apparently. If I'm not mistaken, the settings are stored in %localappdata%\AMD\CN\gmdb.blb. When I modify a game the time stamp on this file would be as the time I did modification, but I don't see any actual data changes inside. If I manually change some value (the file appears to be xml), say change "profileCustomized": to "TRUE" bounce Radeon Settings process all is fine. But when I reboot it's back to defaults. Even if I make the file read only, defaults are loaded once rebooted (where from?). So the question is why this isn't working? Somewhere on reddit I saw someone saying profiles are generated from Desktop shortcuts! (AKA "icons") and default program install location - Program Files. In my case I don't have any icons on my Desktop and my Steam library isn't in Program Files, could this be the reason?

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The Steam profiles at least are generated from the add/remove program and the uninstall registry path.
    (It's also supposed to be able to grab Ubisoft UPlay and EA Origin profile info but it seems to be less reliable with these.)

Hah, I had to remove those because Catalyst Crimson slows down noticeably with a dozen or so profiles, it gets worse with 1200+ profiles. :p
    (On the plus side I only really use the global profile anyway for most settings and it's much faster now and Steam don't really use this info so clearing it out made no difference.)

But yeah the profile info should also be saved to the .blob file in that folder, odd how that gets reset on a reboot but I heard about other people having issues with custom profiles not saving properly since a few driver revisions back.

12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    This is something I've been harping on for a while now. Profiles is borked and continue to be borked since the beginning of the year. If anyone notice decreases in performance in game 1st thing you want to do is delete all profiles. As the crimson install has a tendency to cull all "working" game .exe it finds when you install the drivers for the 1st time. Yes, it's convenience is well noted but like you said, they don't always find every app/game. Right now it appears that even though it can now find MS Store .exes (more on this in a bit) it cannot find Steam .exe which was never a problem in the past.

The only time profiles become a problem is when you are able to execute an .exe from more then one source. IE: 3DMark stand alone vs Steam 3DMark. You don't have any control over which .exe to use and it defaults to Steam version. I know because I've been through it. Even after you uninstall the Steam version and reboot for the stand alone version (I was trying to find out if the steam version has any negative impact on performance vs the stand alone). It still will not "auto find" the stand alone version when used. Which is odd. As it should be able to profile both with no problem (albeit it was a few drivers ago).

I think having the ability (which isn't working right now) to have the profiles auto find those known .exe's would be more of a benefit then to have it do it for you once you install the drivers. But the main issue is to get the profiles stored in a way in which there is no negative impact to performance. Even if you don't use any of the profiles having them there shouldn't hinder in game performance (I bench and it does impact results for me).

As for MS Store .exe's that's a bit tricky as you need system permission (someone correct me if I'm wrong). As having your OS profile permission as admin isn't enough to get the .exe to be profiled manually. So, it make sense that you see any MS Store .exe's during the install process as system permission can take ownership as needed.

13. Mikhailmol

Mikhailmol Guest

GPU:
    RX 470s, 480s, 570s
    Yes, I did try the latest 4.4.2 afterburner with no good results. Have tested it on different hardware with windows 10 64bit on both. Tried it with 17.12.1, 17.12.2 and also with the last one of the Crimson drivers - once you have more than three cards in the system - MSI Afterburner doesn't show any controls for the GPUs.

14. GreenAlien

GreenAlien Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC
    For some reason, Wattman reports my GPU workload at 100% always, but other tools like Aida64 or Windows Task Manager do not agree. Clock speed is stuck at max. speed (not memory) and chill does not work at all anymore (since adrenalin).

I do not get a worse performance as far as I can tell. I have a RX480. I doubt it's a miner virus, Neither mbam, nor Housecall nor windows Defender have found anything and like I said, no notable performance impact.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  15. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Uninstall the drivers, reboot, then reboot again into safe mode then use DDU standard. Reboot again and re- install Crimson 17.12.2.
    See if that helps Crimson to report the correct clock speeds.

GreenAlien likes this.

16. GreenAlien

GreenAlien Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC
    It worked, thank you! I used DDU before, but not in safe mode. Maybe that did it.

17. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    I've got a leftover profile from an uninstalled Steam app that I can't get rid of. I found it in gmdb.blb, but if I remove it, it just comes back on reboot. The unwanted app was also referenced in gmdbprof.blb. I can delete gmdbprof.blb and it doesn't come back on reboot. I tried manually adding a profile for a Steam game that is not installed and a entry was added to gmdb.blb, and gmdbprof.blb was recreated with entries for both the newly added uninstalled game, and the unwanted, uninstalled app. I can hide it, but it comes back with driver updates, and it's still in gmdb.blb and apparently somewhere else also. I would love to get rid of this profile permanently if possible.

Good info on gmdb.blb, but it didn't help me. When I make a change to a profile in Radeon Settings, I immediately see the changes written to gmdb.blb, for example, when I remove an unwanted profile I see "hidden": "FALSE" change to "hidden": "TRUE". I have steam libraries on C: and D:, and all my installed games are detected - no problems. Profiles can be added from a desktop icon, but idk if Radeon Settings is automatically looking for them there.

The profiles seem to come from at least one more source also. I've uninstalled a Steam app, and removed any trace of it's name or Steam ID from the registry, and it is still detected for some reason. Surely you don't have 1200 games installed - so are you saying it's adding all your games installed or not?

All my Steam installed games are being detected - even one that's not installed:mad:

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah quite a backlog of games on Steam and my own insistence on keeping them installed but the majority are mostly kept on a separate larger HDD for storage (Games that no longer receive patch support due to their age especially.) but there they are still installed which when detected by CNext before I got rid of their entries from the add/remove software listings it greatly slowed down Catalyst Next because from testing this a bit by just opening the CNext menu or dragging it around a bit then it takes just a bit around a dozen or so profiles at which point the program will already produce a noticeable slowdown and a increase in memory usage. A hundred profiles will stall the settings panel for a good while and above that it'll likely just crash while consuming a ton of memory.
    (It really isn't intended for having so many profiles, no idea if it's still as big of a problem but from the above post it sounds like it's still a concern even if perhaps it might have improved a bit.)

It's a rare case though, most people would keep the games uninstalled if for nothing else than to conserve space and it does also slow the Steam client down a bit since it checks installed content on start up which can produce a few seconds of delay as it boots up. :)

All in all? After 15 years of service I own somewhere around 3000 titles on Steam now but I've been working on completing the older titles and there's been more early access or barely games at all via indie releases lately so I haven't picked up as many games these last two years or so ha ha, given a bit of time to work on that mess of a backlog. :p
    (So it's down to around 800 games currently, little by little but I do have a lot of time too.)

Still nowhere near the top of the list either, that's these users with 10.000+ titles purchased and counting.
    https://steamdb.info/badges/?badgeid=13 :D

From my own testing it only really checks the add/remove programs entry which is controlled from a registry path so clearing the games out avoids cluttering up the list and I can manually add profiles for games that need specific settings. :)
    The .blb is simply text and can be opened in notepad or any other text editing software, should have entries at the top pointing to Steam, UPlay and Origin depending on what's installed but how it pulls the actual game info and populates the below list which contains the actual profiles is a bit of a mystery.

I assume part of this is handled by the re-routing .dll files and exe processes the driver makes use of, ATIEAH32.EXE and ATIEAH64.EXE and the gamemanager32.dll and gamemanager64.dll files together with detoured32.dll and detoured64.dll

And then there's the atiapfxx.blb file with the packed profile files.

When copied and converted into a .xml (atiapfxx.exe -r -sys -s NAME.xml which then places said .xml in the .\windows\syswow64 folder for viewing.) you have this for the exe names and such.

<application Title="TombRaider" File="TombRaider.exe">
    <use Area="CHILL">TombRaiderProfile</use>
    <use Area="DXX">TombRaiderProfile</use>
    </application>
    <application Title="TombRaider" File="TRAS_win32_final.exe">
    </application>
    <application Title="TombRaider" File="TRAS_win32_gm.exe">
    </application>
    <application Title="TombRaider" File="TRAS_win32_release.exe">
    </application>
    <application Title="TombRaider" File="Steamappid:203160">
    </application>

So it identifies games on Steam via both the game exe itself but also the application ID number.

https://steamdb.info/app/203160/

Getting the list of apps that way would require querying the Steam client itself though or possibly the registry paths that Steam is using which also stores application ID's as separate keys for information ranging from EULA acceptance to if the various runtimes were installed or not and occasionally some other info as well.

Not sure exactly how that works, it hasn't really worked at all for pulling UPlay and Origin game information so that's probably WIP though it at least finds the client software whereas for Steam it appears to have been a bigger priority so it's more advanced with how it handles and detects profiles here.

Being able to rely on the application ID also means the driver has no problems if there's multiple game.exe games or similar, as long as the driver actually has a profile for the game in the first place that is which for some less common games that might not be the case even in newer drivers released after the game itself has been out for a while.

EDIT: Updated the post a bit, it's a bit lengthy.

Jackalito and Eastcoasthandle like this.
  19. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    The more profiles you have the more virtual address space gets allocated to Radeon Settings process - gigabytes from what I'm reading on the Internet, hence slowdown in cases where there's pressure on VM with all that paging happening. I personally don't have experience with this; outside few games I'm currently playing and have installed on my PC, the rest are sitting on server with Steam running, doing its updates, downloads and whatnot.
    (AMD should really use some sort of database for profiles or just use the one already there - registry.)

I started to play with profiles only recently; defaults were okay with me til now. But since I've discovered they don't work, it's been irritating me and I can't shake this feeling off.

Could you explain what do you mean when you say "Steam don't really use this".

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah sorry for being unclear. :)

Steam adds a entry for the add/remove software controls which is usually accessed from the control panel entries, this is done immediately when you begin installing or downloading a new game through Steam but this information is not really used by the Steam client itself as it has a different method to keep track of if the game is installed or not currently and as such it's only really used by the OS itself for a quick way to query Steam to uninstall the software when it's accessed from these settings.

So in order to avoid automatically having new games added to CNext's profile list I just remove their registry entries by deleting this information which is mostly done through CCleaner since it adds a fast way to get at this data, also if you do it this way then delete the info but don't actually call a uninstall since you want to keep the software installed.
    (And don't remove other entries of course.)

For the Steam client itself it tracks settings via the user config files found mainly in the userdata folder wherever the client has been installed too which by default that's C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\*NUMBER*\config\localconfig.vdf I believe together with some other files here also controlling certain settings.

The number simply corresponds to the ID of your Steam profile, also a Steam client crash can temporarily corrupt the userconfig.vdf file but you don't lose any install info - which would suck. - though the client config options resets so that needs to be re-adjusted if this happens and as I remember part of these config files is also synced through Steams cloud system by making use of this.
    (Which I think happens even if Steam cloud is otherwise off in the client which only affects the game specific files.)

EDIT: For how CNext has worked for me at least doing this little bit of deletion has avoided having CNext creating new profiles automatically (Usually after a restart of CNext.exe which at least was needed earlier for the new profile to show up.) and I can instead add any custom profiles by hand if any games require different settings than what I prefer to keep as the global defaults. :)

If you do use more specialized settings though and the new additions from the overlay and DVR functionality then you'd likely want to keep more individual profiles rather than relying on a single global one but yeah with one of the 17.11.x drivers I think it was I began hearing about users who had problems with the other profiles not being used or even being reset entirely.

Thought one of the 17.12.x drivers resolved this but I might have misunderstood and it might have been a different problem or a problem for a certain GPU series only.

EDIT: This issue and the ongoing Wattman issue for certain card models really needs to be resolved, I do like the new settings software in general but it's taken time for some of the previous options to transition over (And the legacy CLI program is still around although by now most if not all settings are available from CNext and without using the legacy settings software.) so hopefully the 18.1.x drivers and onward's can keep refining these issues with Catalyst Next. :

And I need to check because AMD renamed it in a earlier driver so it's either CNext.exe or RadeonSettings.exe now. :D
    (And trying to remember that it's Catalyst Adrenaline now and not Catalyst Crimson any more ha ha.)

(EDIT: Folder retains the CNext name but it's RadeonSettings.exe)

EDIT: Although I guess if you think about it forcefully upgrading Overdrive5 and 6 GPU's to OverdriveN and Wattman wasn't going to be a very smooth transition, Polaris and Vega might have been built to use the new overclocking model from the get go but even the newer generation AMD GPU's suffered a bit from this transition.
    (Fury losing HBM overclocking capability for example and the ongoing problem with incorrect idle clock speeds and locked speeds for certain GPU models.)

Also just happened with little prior warning and broke third party utilities for a while too, at least much of these issues have been resolved since. :)

Jackalito likes this.