Enhanced Sync is overrated

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Australis, Dec 19, 2017.

?

What describes your first-hand experience with Enhanced Sync?

1. Positive

63.2%
  2. Neutral

15.8%
  3. Negative

21.1%
  1. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    Prior to Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition, many Radeon users were furious that Enhanced Sync was exclusive to Radeon RX 480 or newer Radeon cards. Now, they can have a slice of the cake.

Does "Poor Men's FreeSync" cut it? Not really.

When FPS value > LCD highest Hz value (in my case, 144 Hz w/ FreeSync range 40-144), I experience severe screen tearing as well as stuttering while playing BioShock Remastered.

V-Sync on and V-Sync off present their own sets of problems. Enhanced Sync comes with all the problems.

Lesson learned! FreeSync On + In-game V-Sync On is the way it's meant to be played. FreeSync reigns in its range. V-Sync kicks in @ 144 FPS. Buttery smooth. No screen tearing.

Source:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...king_awesome/d6zl13v/?sh=73d1a8e6&st=itdvdnyw

Screenshot (if case the link expired):

[​IMG]

[2018-02-02]

OP's Final Recommendations concerning Gameplay Smoothness (not about Input Lag):

Winner: FreeSync On + In-game V-Sync On.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    People wanted it...poeple got it, people saying its bad now? OK. GG.

deadinhollywood likes this.
  3. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I'm finding it works quite well but that also because I'm capping framerate to 60.

Now you may ask, what's the point in doing that, if I'm capping at 60, why not just use vsync? Well I would.... but a lot of games use double buffered vsync which means you get tremendous input lag and if the game renders under 60fps, then you get half vsync 30fps as a result which is awful...

I actually think this is the intended method to use enhanced sync as for a long time, us Radeon users haven't had controls for Vsync outside of a game for a long time such (you could attempt to use radeonpro but given how outdated it is and increasingly incompatible it has become it's not really an option).

Having unlocked fps with enhanced sync doesn't really bring anything different if rendering above the panels refresh rate but for those with high refresh rate monitors, it's certainly a boon for them.

Eitherway, I think it's meant to be used in conjunction with framerate caps.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Im Playing all my Games with:
    FreeSync + Enhanced Sync + FPS CAP w/Chill i call it -> Best Gaming experience i have in Years !
    Next Big one for me after my new FreeSync Monitor.

Smooth Game play in any FPS, some games have this "low" 30-40 moments -> You don't even know it happend now :D

For me it's the Best driver All'Time.
    GJ ATI/AMD

signex likes this.

5. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Locking the framerate to 60FPS, creates some sort of adptive vsync right?
    Who do you lock it?
    With RTSS or with FRCT?

EDIT: JESUS!!! IT WORKS!
    I have tried enabling Enhanced Sync and capping the framerate with FRCT but, the results weren't great.
    Altough locked it to 60FPS with RTSS and using Enhanced Sync, really acts like Nvidia's Adaptive Vsync.
    While at 60FPS, Vsync On, as soon as it decreases from the 60FPS, Vsync OFF.
    Perfect!!
    Now I wish they had an option for 30FPS too

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    signex likes this.
  6. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    I have no issue with Enhanced-sync. Works how I expect it no tearing above monitor refresh rate. 144hz for me I dont need to have Vsync or a cap enabled.
    A recent game that its excellent in is Wolfenstein 2 cut scenes in that game FPS is 300+ zero tearing when Enhanced-sync is enabled :D

signex likes this.
  7. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua

probably a Bioshock specific issue, that old unreal engine has always had unique rendering/performance problems even at release. the underlying code is over 10 years old now... I would report it to AMD driver support.

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    1 specific game issue and enhanced sync sucks.
    Jesus.......................
    It works great with freesync for me.

9. bjoswald

bjoswald Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD 630
    For those of us without a FreeSync-capable monitor, which method should we use? EnhancedSync + FPS cap + in-game Vsync off, or what?

10. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    I've been using sice 17.7.2 combined with FreeSync. Works really good for me, I would marry Enhanced Sync but I'm husband already.

11. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    It is a stuttering/microstuttering mess for those without freesync monitor. It is a trash feature.

12. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    its not trash.

13. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Promoting aggresively Freesync, yeap, it is marketing trash. I took PPI over Freesync, I wanted image quality not fluidity and now what? A feature that is only for a minority. ROFL AMD rocks btw. :D

14. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Having the same question, no freesync, ES + cap + chill - vsync makes a shuttery mess in divinity 2 at least... :(

15. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    This thread confuses the hell out of me.
    How am I supposed to use the Enhanced Sync feature then?

Aren't you overcomplicating things a little?...

16. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    SimplyAMD isn't really honest with users. Enhanced Sync works only greatly with Freesync and some games not all of them there will be incompatibilities.

Unless you use freesync monitor is useless produces microstutter stuttering or tearing (less than before but it is there). They should never allow this setting be enabled if you don't have freesync working.

17. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700
    No idea what ppl are complaining about in this thread.
    I dont have any microstutter with Freesync + Enhanced Sync + Chill (55-135) + Shader Cache.
    Unless its so miniscule, so small its unnoticeable.

I do have CM Alcor mouse with that crazy good sensors so maybe it helps.

Maybe its problem with older cards? Just like the supposed UVD bugs?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  18. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Works fine here with no freesync, no stutter. Maybe something is trash...

Thinking the same thing.

19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Guess what, Ehanced Sync works great even without freesync. With the toggle in the new overlay, easy to turn off freesync on the fly, or use a game profile and disable it.
    HL2, all versions including CM13 stutter extremely bad for me with freesync but are butter smooth without it and enhanced sync on.
    I also put my fury in my server, and tested enhanced sync out, it did not stutter for me at all and that is with a 75hz TN panel with no freesync.
    It will work awesome for some, and not some. Just like how I have bad stuttering with HL2 with freesync but all other games work zero issue.

Go be a hateful dribble towards AMD somewhere else already.

20. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    Out of the blue, the FreeSync + Enhanced Sync + [In-game] V-Sync off combination is running BioShock Remastered really well now.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018