The XBox One X

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Mike Z, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Does anyone else think this console has a major CPU bottleneck? I figure that's why a lot of the games are capped at 30 FPS.

I'm not trying to stir crap up. I'm genuinely wondering what other people think.

Keitosha likes this.
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm pretty sure Bungie said something like that too.

Mike Z likes this.
  3. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Pretty much, it’s like having the GPU power of a GTX 1070 paired with the CPU from a netbook.

Smough, rl66 and Mike Z like this.
  4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's probably one of the reasons, but it will more depend on the game as not all will be CPU limited.

A lot of developers just don’t think a high framerate is a as important as cranking up the visual effects or resolution though, and marketing wise framerate seems to be down the pecking order.

Mike Z likes this.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well i just payed £470 for a GTX 1080, does it make all my games now run at full native 4k/60FPS, No!, of course not, because there is only so much brute force can accomplished to make up for shitty buggy unfinished unoptimsied games, but am i still very happy with what is does do, and that is to make my overall gaming expereince a lot better, and if the XBX can do the same then i am fine with that, 30/60FPS, 1080p/4k, not really that important as long as the gaming is good, and if it can be good at 4k 60FPS then that is the icing on the cake, but it is not the be and end all of it, hell 10 million switch owners will tell you that as they enjoy Skyrim all over again on the bus and on the toilet. ;)

6. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Difference being that the Switch actually some good exclusives as well, which makes the shortfall in power a bit more acceptable. For anyone with a half decent PC there’s really no reason to bother with the Xbox One X, If Microsoft put some effort in and came out with a good line up of first party games then I’d be all over it.

7. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    more like rx580 than 1070

8. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    My mistake, but still there’s no question that for a console it really is a decent GPU, it’s just a shame they paired it with such a bad CPU, I don’t think anyone would ever expect 4k60 but the option of 1080p60 would of been a good selling point for a lot of people.

Mike Z likes this.
  9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I think some games do/will offer the option of 4k/30 or 1080/60 but it's whether many developer will bother optimising for a high resolution and a higher framerate.

Certain games like for Destiny 2, and I'm sure AC Origins just won't be possible on that CPU though.

10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    More than the performance, the XB1X has failed to tear me away from my PS4 Pro and that trend looks set to continue as most of the console games I am looking forward to are either PS4 exclusives or simultaneous XB1X/PC releases (which I would be inclined to buy/play on PC).

MS didn't even have one unique XB1X launch title, just a bunch of existing titles that have been 'enhanced'.

They operate as though they have no competition whatsoever.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Mike Z likes this.

11. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    I read all the replies so far and they all contribute something to thread.. I guess, to me, consoles lost the charm they had before they became, basically, laptop PCs..

The games are the only thing that matter at this point when thinkin' about whether to buy a PS or an XBOX. If someone considers hardware, they must not fully understand the hardware in these machines. We're talkin' about a laptop CPU from 2012 and that CPU is what's powering the PS4, the PS4 Pro, the XBox One, the XBox One S, AND the X.. They overclocked it for the X1X and marketed it like it's something of a beast. I'm more impressed with what they did on the GPU end of things.. but not pairing with a stronger CPU is crazy.

We (people who use this forum) have a solid grasp on the way data flows through computer hardware. I think the people who bought the X1X don't have that understanding, if they did, they wouldn't think it's worth $500. I don't believe it is.

Basically, I think the X1X will age horribly and perform like a weak PC by late 2018 (due to the CPU bottleneck).

I also think Sony's next console will TRY to break the trend of what consoles have been for the past 4 years, but that's just something I think. It's based on nothing. Nintendo already has. I think the Switch is the most interesting and innovative console available at this point. I have no thoughts about what Microsoft may try with their next console.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I like the idea of the X1X as the PS4 Pro is underpowered and while Sony does have better exclusive games, that is not a compelling reason for me to buy a console.
    I do agree MS seem to be making no effort in regards to Xbox exclusive content, and it must be hurting sales.

I like the idea of something powerful that I can game on without the extra hassle that comes with PC gaming. It would also be more powerful than my PC in many scenarios.

Once I get a 4k TV I will likely make a decision.

XP-200 likes this.
  13. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    The CPU is weak though.. Although it may seem I'm leaning to one side, understand I'm not, but what extra hassle are you talking about with PC gaming? Also, what scenarios is the X1X more powerful than your PC? Your PC seems like it would be faster (or as fast) in all scenarios (I read your PC specs).

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I know the CPU is weak, but i'm not convinced it is as large an issue as some believe.
    A single 970 is not as powerful, and i cannot rely on both GPUs being used nowadays when we have poor to no MGPU support.

The hassle is that i'm now pushing 40, have a family and if i have free time to game i just want to game. Even if i completely ignore software issues from games/drivers/os, the freedom of tweaking is just too tempting and essentially time consuming. Even consoles have this to deal with this nowadays with the amount of patches and now with the Pro and the OneX the choice to run the game at different resolutions and/or framerate targets, but it's minimal in comparison.

15. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    I completely understand now and I'm in a similar boat.

Redemption80 likes this.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I love PC gaming and enjoy the tweaking, testing and modding but more often than not i do all that and then have no time to actually play the game, and i'm not strong willed enough to play a PC game via something like GFE and ignore everything else. It's a similar story HTPC wise, I only have Kodi on my PC as my wife was going crazy at my years of Mediaportal tweaking, and i needed something "plug and play" for her.

Not like consoles are plug and play anymore either though, but sometimes less freedom is better.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I fixed it for you, the word "better" was not needed.Xbox has no current and real exclusive games.

If i want to play an "exclusive Xbox game" i buy it for Windows and normally on Steam.

BTW i own an Xbox one S and a PS4.

I only use the Xbox one to play xbox 360 exclusives like Gears of war and Halo franchise games, for Gears of war 4 i have the PC.

I got the Xbox one "megaexclusive" "Quantum Break" buying the December HumbleBundle monthly along "The long dark" and "Dawn of war II" and a bunch of games for 12$.

If you don't want to risk the temptation to tweak a game running on Windows buy it in MS Windows 10 store: your options to tweak it will dissapear completely. As a "bonus" the game will normally be an Xbox "exclusive":D

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeap, same here, a big ass 4k HDR 55 in min Tv is next on the cards for me before i buy a XBX, i have a 43in 4k HDR in the bedrooom and the XB slims upscaling to 4k and HDR is very impressive, so i am looking forward to the XBX improving that experience even more. :)

19. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    I'm also pushing 40, and have gave up on PC gaming.

For the little time I have to play, I just play on my PS4pro or my Switch, and enjoy the gaming experience :D
    Lol, weirdly enough, I am now playing Shenmue on my Dreamcast, then will go to the next one :D

I think next year it's going to be an excellent year for gaming on playstation, hopefully we will play GOW, RDR2, LOU2 and maybe more.

As for the new xbox, I think it's a great choice for people who do not own a PS4.
    The only reason that will make me buy it, will be some amazing exclusive first party Microsoft games, ..... but we all know that they will never come.

20. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    I'm the other way around. Older I get the less appealing the kind of games that go on consoles appear. Probably because I can still make enough time to play Vs chasing after babies (or god forbid teenagers). I can see why the casual experience of the mainstream console games would grow more appealing with lack of time due to life getting too much in the way.