Radeon Adrenalin Edition 17.12.1 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by NvidiaFreak650, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Rootax

Rootax Member Guru

GPU:
    3090 MSI Suprim X
    Hum, The Alt+R menu doesn't stick for me in games. It shows once, and disappears the next second...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Seriously though the only way to get rid of the UVD bug is to throw out that piece of sh!t GPU or mod the bios. Then learn to use MSI Afterburner to extend the power and disable some of the other low voltage crap.

That's it. Basically anything 200 series or below is going to give you cancer.

I recommend the GTX 1070 or better for 1080p or 1080Ti for 1440p. I don't recommend any AMD cards now.
    The drivers are massively improved but I'm still seeing breakage for people with 400 series cards needing needing to roll back drivers to 17.7.x if they don't know how to fix the issues. (Games crashing on launch, then poor GPU usage, crazy fluctuating clock speeds > FPS).

17.12.1 Just looks like feature bloat to me, but if the features can be removed from the package before install or if not then removed after install that's not a big problem.

As of 17.11.4 I usually remove these three folders in Packages > Apps:
    Bethesda64
    CNBranding
    VC15RTx64

I'll have to see if I can remove some of these new features/bloat from the installer.
    I also update the Vulcan runtime manually. They're using 1.65.0 in the driver but 1.65.1 just came out.

3. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Why? If you don't have support in a driver you still can't use higher version on runtime or extensions present in newer runtime version :rolleyes:

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    1.65.1 should only be some fixes for the installer so there's less of a need to update, some of the earlier runtimes did have some good bug fixes though but AMD has since updated the bundled version. :)

For the Catalyst installer I keep the ACP folder and CN and CNBranding, rest I usually remove.

Bethesda is just a URL to their launcher now I believe but still not too useful, PPC well I don't really know what that one does but it's not a option when doing a custom install so it must be for certain hardware only and the problem reporter well that's not something I have a need of.

VisualC runtime is kept up to date by a different redistributable and that's about it aside from the Vulkan runtime but yeah I keep those up to date too from the SDK.

EDIT:
    https://vulkan.lunarg.com/doc/sdk/1.0.65.1/windows/release_notes-1.0.html

5. d0X

d0X Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2070S Ventus
    Probably Radeon Settings crashing, happened to me too.

6. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    I bet you probably don't do anything else on your computers apart from starting up and exiting games either. If you did, you'd have at some point run into the dreaded UVD bug. The custom BIOSes don't do anything to resolve it as even with a custom flashed BIOS the bug still remains that can cause up to 40W of extra power draw in idle situations or more depending on the card and will refuse to accept overclocks while the bug is triggered. Though I guess your AMD cards must be special as in the past you've made claims of not having issues that AMD themselves have listed as known issues.

And for the record, whether you empathize with people who still use 6 year old graphics cards (which had been plagued by the UVD bug for the last 2 years) or not doesn't mean 2Shits™ to them as you didn't pay for their cards and because of the lackluster support, most of them will not be recommending AMD cards to anyone else in the future. Because whether it's old or new, seems AMD's driver division has a hard time getting their act together as always. We all remember when Hawaii came out and had this issue of cards getting stuck in stand by mode that AMD couldn't fix till an OS update came out. People on newegg gave the cards a negative review simply because they returned it finding it unusable due to leaving their desks for five minutes and coming back only to find an unresponsive computer. Don't get me started on Fury cards and it's garbled display issue when waking up from standby. Sapphire's BIOS updates didn't make it go away, AMD's drivers did after 8 freaking months.

Even the most recent iteration of AMD cards have tons of known driver issues that AMD themselves lists often on their release notes. The majority of partner VEGA cards are in limbo due to the sheer fact that their drivers don't work properly, to an extent that cards with supposedly better cooling than AMD's Reference VEGA cards end up performing worse.

The VEGA Frontier Edition drivers are a right mess. Imagine what the people who paid for this are feeling like.

Stop making excuses for AMD, if they are going to provide support for a 6 year old card, or even a 12 year old card, they must at least have the most basic functions of a video card working, which in this case is being able to switch power states properly.

Ironically, for the last two driver releases, the UVD bug doesn't trigger. And no amount of Custom BIOS or MSI Afterburner is going to resolve the issue, you're merely working around it.

Even if this does work, it isn't an option, as we didn't pay for our cards to work like that. Finewine has turned into Finewhine when you see Fury X Cards trailing way behind a factory overclocked GTX 980 Ti, and not to mention AMD refusing to add HBCC to a capable card simply on the ground of "The product is old and will not receive further updates."

jmcc, fargod, AlleyViper and 2 others like this.
  7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah i get that too, so gone back to RTSS to display my clocks, temps, cap my frames n that.

Also found i had to go through my games controls, to find keys that i didn't have assigned, that i could then assign to the Performance Metrics OSD, otherwise id be crouching, crawling, bringing up maps, this that and the other, instead of bringing it up, as the CTRL key wasn't registering. :p

Id like to see it being able to be assigned to a single key, like you can do with RTSS.

8. Rootax

Rootax Member Guru

GPU:
    3090 MSI Suprim X
    For gaming, since 17.11.4, RX Vega drivers are compatible with FE out of the box. And with the 17.12.1 pro, the "gaming driver" is 17.12.1 driver too, with chill, the overlay, everything. So, If you're gaming, you're good with a FE too now, same boat as RX series.

On the pro side, I don't have any problem at all since the 17.Q4 drivers. But, and a big one, my card is watercooled, so I don't have thermal throttle-ing&such...

9. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    I encourage you to go through the video linked above please. You'll understand. VEGA FE had just one driver available on AMD's site up until October is something that speaks volumes regarding the card.

fargod likes this.
  10. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    FH3 works good here albeit at 1080p. RX 480 sipping power too, comfy temps.

edit

1920x1080 that is

11. Rootax

Rootax Member Guru

GPU:
    3090 MSI Suprim X
    I know, I have the card. All I'm saying is, it's better now, on par with RX series for gaming, and now the "pro" drivers follow the classic pro release (ie 1 per quarter, or more).

I agree with a lot of people, the FE launch was a big mess, and even Vega in general. But it's better now.

Romulus_ut3 likes this.
  12. DAMAFIA

DAMAFIA Guest

GPU:
    7970@1180/1800
    Yet another. Driver that's bugged on my Gpu...Won't go to full 3D speed...only goes to 500/350 on my 7890. Last one that worked was 17.4.2 every one since has had same issues. Grr sort it out amd. Dnt know Wat they did but they broke sumthing!!!! Gutted

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Stop using MSI AB/TriXX etc. and restart then try with our OverdriveN Tool....
    I have the same issue long time ago ;) so TriXX goes bye bye (like Kansas)

14. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 Amp
    I don't think your coming from a very objective place. Both side have driver issues some worse than others. Didn't Nvidia have to completely pull a driver last year for causing boot failures and severe artifacting with even a few reports of completely burning out cards?

As a previous owner of two Fury's (One Sapphire Tri-X and an XFX Fury X) that I ran in crossfire, I can count on one hand how many times I had to restart because the GPUs hung after waking my PC up from sleep. So YES is was a bug that I experience but definitely not over the course of 8 months.

I have a reference Sapphire Vega 64 and I haven't really had any problems with it all. though it is water cooled (has an EK block on it, both fury's also had EK blocks on them for reference). These new drivers are actually fantastic, I like being able to stream and see comments and view count in game as an overly, the AMD Link monitoring works pretty well despite you having to reconnect every time you go back to the app, and the app it self needs a better UI so it isn't without it flaws.

Speaking of driver issues, just yesterday I had some issues streaming to youtube unless I logged out, logged into a different account and then switched back to the account I wanted to stream to. So again driver has flaws but not game breaking so to speak (at least from my experience). I have a GTX 590 in my GFs computer (I need to get around to upgrading it because of the state of multi-gpu being supported in games) that still works after 5 years so that's great but it also isn't without random crashes when she is trying to play games like tomb raider.

I also have a NVS-310 in one of my servers, and while I rarely ever need to physically use the box and even more rarely that I need to access Nvidia control panel, the damn thing wont even open or takes a good 20 seconds to do so.

Only company that doesn't have a bunch of driver issues is Intel lmao.

warlord and Romulus_ut3 like this.
  15. shini42

shini42 Guest

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Hi all, I have new RX 580 Nitro+ blue edition, but missing toggle for changing workload type. ANy idea, how to enable it? Thanx.

16. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I tried uncapping the framerate and use Enhanced Sync with Freesync but for me capped to 144FPS feels smoother since the FPS is not changing most of the time. Also I tried Chill when it first came out and tried it again now. I don't like it because again it doesn't feel smooth due to the constant changing FPS. I think it would be better if they change chill to lower the FPS to the minimum cap when idling and change it back to the maximum FPS cap as soon as there is movement instead of constantly adjusting the FPS. Obviously it would be less effective in chilling your card that way. Also Chill makes Power Efficiency option redundant since it also lowers the core clock. What minimum FPS cap do you set it to?

17. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I understand your frustration regarding the feature. However, it's been a global feature for a long time now. All they did was make it available while in game.
    I wonder what the registry keys are to enable it. There is no reason why Fiji doesn't have the feature. Hardware info has been providing this, as well as other info for several years now for Fiji.
    ------------

I've notice that oddity way back.
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/r...ownload-discussion.417726/page-6#post-5491154

They are doing something with the AMD folder and it looks like they are incorporating it in the install process for some odd reason.
    Again, just to be safe I would not delete it until after you uninstall your drivers.

18. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    I don't have it too. It's confirmed bug, they are on it.

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    It would be nice if they were "on it" to add "GPU PWR" for Fiji owners.Hardware Info has been providing this for years now. I'm truly baffled why this was omitted? o_O

[​IMG]

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I guess it's extended downwards or how to say, similar to enhanced sync here being Polaris and Vega first and only now after several requests being made available for older GPU models.
    I also guess that Polaris and Vega being native OverdriveN whereas the older GPU models were updated from Overdrive.5 or Overdrive.6 to OverdriveN might be part of the reason, initial support was a bit rough for older GPU architectures especially.

This should just be the start, 18.1 and on will likely see these features expanded upon and improved though down the line I'm guessing AMD might start dropping GCN 1.x GPU support eventually though it depends I suppose.