VESA Defines DisplayHDR version v1.0 Standard

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) announced it has defined the display industry's first fully open standard specifying high dynamic range (HDR) quality, including luminance, color ga...

VESA Defines DisplayHDR version v1.0 Standard

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Glad HDR finally got a standard. Can't understand specific details, but hopefully it's high enough to force makers produce better panels.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes, it's good that there's finally something to hold on to for buyers if they are looking for a "HDR certified" and not just "capable" or "compatible" screen / tv.
    I also wonder how many TVs that used to have HDR somewhere on their box are actually NOT HDR capable :D

4. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    About time, good news for Laptop and PC users :)

5. shalafi

shalafi Member

GPU:
    GB 1080Ti FE Hybrid
    I would guess all of the low-end ones and a lot of mid-range ones. The minimum brightness is defined as 400 nits (cd/m2), most of these TVs have 350 nit panels (and no real local dimming as well).

6. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    400 nits isn't really a whole lot. Its also not the first certification for HDR devices, in the consumer TV space we already have "UHD Premium" which requires either 1000 nits with an average black level (for LCDs), or a supreme black level with min. 540 nits (OLEDs) - on top of that UHD Premium requires 10-bit - and of course UHD.

7. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Wtf is a Nit?! I see a Nit here a nut over there, whos nits you nits??? Hahaha. Sorry steven segal movie buff.

8. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    About time a standard was implemented for monitors. I'm somewhat disappointed at the black level requirements, bit depth, and response time.

9. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I assume the three tiers tie into a higher end 10 bit LCD non FALD(DisplayHDR 400), LCD FALD (DisplayHDR 600) and OLED (DisplayHDR 1000). Just guessing here from the specs.

10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    A nit is a unit of light. Usually more nits = better panels. What we really need is a much smaller pitch size. I just bought a new cheap monitor iiyama ProLite E2483HS B-3 75Hz TN with 0.277 x 0.277 mm pitch and @ 2 foot from the panel you can clearly see the pixels. If you had a monitor with half that dot pitch size i'm guessing it would look incredible.

11. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    Nit is a measure of brightness, not quality. Pitch is dependent on your resolution and screen size, want smaller pitch or what most people say PPI(Pixels Per Inch), buy higher resolution screen or smaller screen with same resolution.