8700k/8600k owners thread (I know the irony)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Loophole35, Oct 17, 2017.

1. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Just got my 8700K & Z370 M5 combo, a bit griefed there's no M7 out (yet?) but alas, these are gonna last me a good while now :)
    Won't be delidding straight away but as I've delidded all my previous i7s I'll definitely do it later on. My delidded 4.7GHz 6700K will be replacing my brother's FX 8350, a nice boost for that 1070 of his!

2. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    I am genuinely conflicted in regard to choosing good cooling. If anyone can give me some feedback between the Noctua models; NH-D15S ( The one I've ordered ) and the NH-U14S. I would really appreciate it, because I find myself second guessing my choice too much.

3. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I haven't go tmuch to tell you because I am not familiar with the other model but I have the D15S and I think it is absolutely brilliant

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Honestly either one is great. The D15S matches the D14 in cooling but is quieter. My advice is you did chose the best one though.
    [​IMG]

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    ^^^^

Both excellent coolers with ~similar performance even tho the U14S is lighter and more compact, I would get whichever of the 2 is cheaper personally.

Since you already have ordered the D15S and assuming the U14S is not considerably cheaper, the D15S will serve you excellently.

P.S: If clearance, height etc is not an issue, the D15S looks the part too with its sheer size. :p

6. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    airbud7 likes this.
  7. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I'll be shooting out the U14 against the Thermalright TRUE 14 Power and an older Prolimatech SuperMega soon, just to know which one I might like best.
    They're all great coolers though, I know that for sure, and all should be fine with 5G 24/7.

8. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Hm, Im new to OC this thing, just get it work(after delid, CLU under, mx-4 on HIS) and system installed, MSI SLI plus. OC easy for now, 4.8 but auto Vcore is rather high(at least in CPU-Z i c) 1.336V. Prime or OCCT get this CPU to 53-54C area, but again, do not know can I trust readings.

But I must admit, there is barely difference between this CPU and i7-5775C at 4ghz in games I am playing...

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Depending on the game you may se a difference but likely not as the standard Fury is not going to bottleneck a 5775C. Those were very good CPU’s.

You can try to set the Vcore manually at a lower voltage. 1.33v does seem a little high for 4.8.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Edited

Was having problems, now it's fixed.

Just finished aida64 small fpu, now benching m.2 drives and going to leave it to run a memory stress test for an hour.

Running at 4.7 at 1.25, haven't tried for higher snd probably won't.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017

11. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    Just got a new i7 8700k on an Asus ROG Strix Z370-H running from bios with xmp at 4686 MHZ !!!Very high. Prime 95 stressed out 81 degrees in my watercooled system...
    Very hot. My older i7 6700k ran prime 95 at 4400mhz 65 to 70 degrees!!

Possibly need to do some driver/bios updates as well as drop the core voltage in bios?

12. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    well this are normal temps for nondelided coffee. That TIM under IHS is real crap.

13. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    That's not normal, really.

Advice: Load bios defaults, check voltages. Set XMP, get back into bios. Lower voltages back to something close to their default values, you may need to check for stability.
    XMP will use way too high voltages on this platform, foten outside the safe range.

14. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Yeah your temps shouldn't spike that high. My chip did up its voltage to over 1.4 at auto voltage when I tried the default enhanced all core 4.7GHz. You should definitely try a lower manual voltage. I've settled for a quick 4.8 @ 1.28 adaptive vcore overclock until I've got more time to delid and clock further.

15. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Is there a chance of it being a faulty heat sensor, rather then the actual temperature?

16. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Faulty? Might be, although quite unlikely. More likely bad bios rev. I remember stumbling upon someone stating (might have been one of OCN 8700K overclock threads) that some of the Z370 board's temp reports aren't accurate on stock bios'.
    Could try flashing the latest bios on your board.
    Check your vcore when benchmarking as well. If it hovers over 1.4+ and you reach 81c+ then the readings should be okay-ish.

17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Unlike AMD, the sensors are within the chip, at least one for each core. It's highly unlikely they're all faulty.

18. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    thanks for the advice.. I'm still building and wiring
    Maybe my waterblock is not mounted properly
    The hydronaught paste from Thermal Grizzly did feel abit "thick-sh" possbly try another
    CPUZ in windows shows core volt- 1.376 at 4688mhz.
    Core Temp shows about the same
    Idle temps 31 degrees C
    Will do all the bios and chip driver updates . Do some bios tweeking and get back to ye

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That is WAY too much voltage for 4.7Ghz. That is more than enough for most chips to hit 5.0-5.1Ghz.

darrenj likes this.
  20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah Asus voltage glitch with adaptive voltage...

darrenj update bios asap. But I think its still not fixed, you will ned to use manual voltage, cpuVID will still drop though.. At least something.