Destiny 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, Oct 13, 2017.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hey how do Attack and Impact values of weapons compare?

I get that higher attack is more damage but impact is like a damage bonus?
    If I have higher attack but low impact vs. lower attack but high impact weapons how to tell which is better?

Also Power weapons have the same 'elementals' as energy weapons, can they be used to break shields as well?

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    May not be the correct interpretation but have equated impact to the ability of preventing the target from firing their weapon accurately.

As far as power and energy weapons, they have the ability to break shields. Uriel's Gift, Graviton Lance, and Sunshot are my favorite energy weapons. They take out shields very well. Merciless is my favorite power weapon next to a linear fusion rifle. Merciless melts bosses except for servitors. The linear fusion rifle takes out the servitors. Wardcliff Coil is for upfront and personal; too close though and you'll die from the blast radius.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I ended up buying this game last week (for £26.90) and I have been surprised actually by how much I've been enjoying the campaign after about 10-12 hours of playtime and reaching level 11. The campaign is much improved over the lacklustre original and while the story (IMO) isn't that great, at least there is more of attempt to tell a cohesive narrative this time around that connects the levels and missions plus there's more in the way of interactions with NPCs (even if it is odd how your own character remains a mute).

The level design design is also excellent which makes exploring a lot of fun, helped by the fact that the maps feel huge. I really enjoyed the opening area on Earth but once I reached Titan then the cracks started to appear in the game. For one, this level has a lot of tedious platforming sections in it which are always awkward in any first person game but more difficult here due to the floaty double jump mechanice which can send me sky high one second and barely a few feet up another. Needless to say I've died *dozens* of times on this level to the point where I found some sections immensely frustrating. The checkpoint system is also odd too, never seeming to reset me in the same place, and in one part I almost gave up on trying to jump onto a ladder (why doesn't the character automatically grab ladders?!?!?) until the game reset to me to a point just a bit further on (I assume this was a glitch) were I was able to finish the mission.

Graphically the game is fine to good but it isn't blowing me away in quite the same way as Wolfenstein II or Assassin's Creed Origins are. For one, there's a console-esque blocky look to the environments due to a lack of tessellation and the textures aren't always great either. That's not to say it doesn't look really nice from time to time when I catch a certain view or a specific lighting effect but overall the game manages to look good enough without ever really looking amazing. IMO. Different opinions and all that, eh?

Musically the game is excellent and reminds me a lot of Halo. In fact, the whole aesthetic of the game and the excellent combat is unsurprisingly reminescent of Halo since it is from the same developer, Bungie. In fact, the combat is absolutely excellent in this game, far better than any other FPS I have played this year with the exception of Wolfenstein II. The weapons feel meaty and powerful and enemies react depending on where you shoot them (head shoots are instant kills pretty much, anywhere else takes longer as you'd expect). This is also aided by superb rumble support from the Xbox One Elite controller I am using (yes, I am using a controller to play a FPS on a PC so deal with it!!!). I have no interest in ever playing this competitively in any of the PvP (Crucible) modes but as a single player game I do enjoy seeing other players from time to time; I've even joined in with some of the public events. It makes the game feel less lonely outside of missions. However, the missions are much better balanced in this game than the original which I felt were unfairly difficult to the point where I could only finish many of them with other players. In this game, so far, I haven't found any of the missions overly difficult and this is a huge part of what makes this game so much more enjoyable for me than the original.

The only negative is that the reliance on an internet connection has resulted in me being disconnected about half a dozen times, usually during a mission which is annoying. In some cases, when I've signed back in the mission has continued but I have lost progress on a few others. And when the connection is lose you cannot even check your inventory or upgrade your weapons and armour. I've no idea if this issue is with the Destiny 2 servers or my internet connection but I have been seeing a message from Bungie about investigating internet issues so I'm guessing it is the latter. I played it for 5-6 hours on Friday night without any disconnections but got several disconnections when I played it again on Saturday and Sunday.

A great game though and one I highly recommend for its campaign (since I cannot comment on well it plays in PvP since I have not tried it nor do I have any interest in trying it). Still, it can only be better value for those who do like competitive shooters.

P.S. I am playing the game at maxed out 2560x1440 settings with 150% resolution scaling and performance has generally been great, 60+ fps. However, yesterday I noticed the framerate on Titan was hovering in the 35-45 fps region which made the game very sluggish to play even with G-SYNC on. I have no idea if this performance drop is related to the internet issues I mentioned... does a flaky internet connection cause this kind of performance drop? Titan certainly featured some long draw distances but even when I lowered settings and the Resolution scaling the performance still remained 45 fps and under. Weird.

P.P.S. Why are the Male character faces so ugly? And why are there so few choices of presets and no way to actually customise facial details? This aspect of the game comes across as wholly dated IMO. Sure, you barely see your character while playing (even the third-person "super combo" moves are seen from behind) except for a few cutscenes but it is shocking at how little effort Bungie have put in here. It is exactly the same as the original from memory.

-Tj-, AsiJu and drandiiski like this.
  4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah I would have liked more character customization options as well, but I'm keeping my mask/helmet on all the time anyway :D

Very much enjoying the game, slowly getting properly into it. Level 6 and probably about 6-8 hrs in, replayed the "intro" level with two different characters / classes.
    Settled for a Hunter though tbh the difference to Titan wasn't that immediately obvious.

Performancewise running at a 99 % locked 75 fps @ 1080p with Highest settings except DoF at High and res. scale at 120 %.
    Only occassional framedrops at the Farm hub area when there are a lot of other players present.
    Also motion blur, film grain and chromatic aberration disabled but they probably don't account to much of a performance boost, disabled as I don't like those effects.

Did some monitoring as well, having Afterburner run / log in the background while RTSS OSD and OSD support were disabled, and GPU usage was 85 % max while total CPU usage was 28 % max!
    All cores were evenly loaded with seemingly a slight emphasis on physical vs. logical cores so the game is extremely well multicore-aware and multithreaded.

In short the GPU gets a workout while the CPU barely breaks a sweat :p

@Darren Hodgson
    the framedrops you're seeing could well be connection related given I get drops in hub area only.
    I doubt other player characters tax the GPU that much more and as seen above CPU has resources to spare, ie. guessing the framedrops are connection related (server sync can't keep up with lots of online players).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017

5. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Darren, good review, I was looking for someone on here do that. My fear is they rehash the same area's over and over like in Halo games.. sounds like if you can find a good deal its worth it. Is it better than Titanfall 2?

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Guys, what function does glimmer have really? I'm always maxed out since I have no idea what to buy with it.

I'm surprised to hear that. I think most of the environments are truly magical (especially all the indoor areas you go through during Campaign and Adventure). Sure, some are more bland like Nessus but most are exceptionally crafted and has great lightning. I played the first mission of Wolfenstein and was really sad to see how ugly the game is compared to Doom.

I've not been disconnected a single time and I have over 20hrs logged so far. I'm guessing there might be something on your end or between your ISP and a node? Idk really but it sounds odd.

7. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Same, game is nothing short of stunning (one of the best implementations of HDR yet) and has some of the best level design I've seen in a while.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I agree the game looks really beautiful in places! Actually I like the Nessus too, hybrid of rock and technology yet it's relatively colourful.
    Just made it there yesterday and kicked some Vex butt xD
    also there's some succesful humour in the writing. Sure Cayden cracks jokes but it was the bipolar AI that cracked me up :D

Haven't had a single disconnect either and I was expecting to have issues with connectivity given how disastrous playing The Division sometimes was. Different game and Ubisoft ofc there...

9. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Is this like all the other Bungie games where you only have 3 types of enemies and its super repetitive?

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I haven't played other Bungie games but that's the impression it has made on me. Bored af after a few hours already.

11. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    At the moment the primary things to spend glimmer on are – weapon and armor mods, treasure maps from Cayde-6 and buying the bonus weapon at the end of faction wars. Lots of changes coming with next weeks‘ first DLC and a patch on the 12, not sure if they will make glimmer more usable.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    More or less the same enemies as in the first game and the variation isn't great.

Weapons from the faction guys? They are useless for someone with 200+ power and cannot be used to improve exotics or legendaries (or dismantle to Gun parts)? Armor mods, where do you buy them? I also saw those treasure maps but I don't know how they work. Are they even visible in your inventory?

13. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I meant from the faction rallies events, that run thru out the a certain week of the month, and depending if you are on the winning side you get the weapon for 1 000 glimmer, or from the loosing you get it for 50 000. Armor and weapon mods you buy from the gunsmith. If you don’t have anything to spend your glimmer on, just buy random blue mods and when you get three (or five) of the same, you can exchange it for a purple mod. Also you need 5 000 to place the mod in your gear. And finally, the treasure maps I think get in your inventory and when you open them you get new markers on the planet the maps is for. Or maybe you get the marker immediately after buying them, can’t remember...

AsiJu likes this.
  14. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Started playing this game today. The game looks beautiful (minus jaggies) on ultrawide.

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Forgot to reply to this, I figured it out, Attack is simply the level of a weapon like Defense is for armor and Impact is the actual damage output.

16. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Really digging the new expansion, been playing it all night :p

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I've been reading that some Challenge content which used to be available for base game (Prestige Nightfall or similar) prior to DLC release has now become locked / accessible only if you have the expansion.

Is that true?

18. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    How do you take screenshot in this game ??
    - RTSS doesn't work with this game. (OSD, framerate limit.. nope)
    - MSI AfterBurner's screen capture (I have hotkey to F12) doesn't work with this game.
    - Win+PrtScrn doesn't seem to work either.

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    What I tend to do is to set Rivatuner to ignore monitoring of games that block the process and then set the game to borderless mode, screenshots now capture the desktop instead which since the game is in borderless mode you get captures of that. :)
    Downside is that you can't get the OSD info in-game if you want precise monitoring statistics or make of the framerate limiter and other features from Afterburer or RTSS and Destiny 2 in particular seems pretty restrictive with only a few whitelisted programs.

EDIT: The "!" button in Afterburner also brings up a list of information including detected running 3D processes which needs to be empty for the desktop captures to work which is why the game exe has to be given a profile in RTSS which has monitoring set to disabled. :)

EDIT: And for Destiny 2 and whitelisted software I think you would have to use Nvidia's GeForce Experience utility (And for AMD it's Crimson ReLive.) there's probably some other programs for video recording specifically but from what I have read about this it seems Blizzard blocks pretty much everything else. (Including Rivatuner, Fraps and so on.)

Not sure if Battle.net has any OSD or screen capture utilities either, that might work as a alternative if so.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  20. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Twitter is in rage mode:
    (cpied from the post on there by user)
    "Destiny 2 just recently released their new DLC, and in doing so have locked out any player that hasn't purchased the DLC from pretty much all late game content they previously had access too.

Nightfalls, Trials of the Nine, and Prestige Raids were all content that was previously accessible to the player base that they can no longer play if they didn't purchase the DLC (For other reasons such as the game feeling extremely dead with nothing to do after week 2). A super scummy paywall that should not be allowed to exist."

If true, I'll be uninstalling tonight. Even if they get called out and forced to bring these options back. Shady business. You got $60 from me already, I don't want bogus content for $35 dollars so I can continue to play the original options I already had.