Played Crysis again ...

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by XenthorX, Mar 18, 2016.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    My gog copy has vista sp2 compatibility and disable scaling on high dpi checked under the compatibility tab by default. Try that.

jbscotchman likes this.
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Good advice. I just tried those modifications and I'm still getting a damn black screen. Refund time. Thank you all for your input.

3. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Basically the game will only use the lowest available refresh rate it detects from certain TV's/Monitors so you end up being stuck on whatever refresh rate the game sees.

Yeah I've tried custom resolutions and and mashing ALT-TAB, nothing works.

It's still a great game though, brought my old AMD FX62 and 8800GTX SLi system to its knees when it released.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not sure if it's a typo on your part, but it's alt and enter, not tab.

Think it was something like 1916 x 1080 I used, but it's a weird bug in that what works for some, doesn't for others.

I'm sure i used a modded DX9 last time I played this properly, saved bothering with the above.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    on my samsung tv i have no bug whatsoever, game runs smoothly.

6. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Odd, I’m on Windows 7 as well with Crysis mods and not having these issues you’re experiencing. I had bought the full Crysis Trilogy pack on Origin.

7. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Yeah my bad I did mean ALT-ENTER, I might install it again at some point and see if I can get it working, could be that it just doesn’t like Ultra Wide G-Sync monitors.

I’ve tried it on a Panasonic DX750 and had issues, haven’t tested it on my LG B7 OLED yet.

8. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080

crysis on my samsung series 7,
    settings:
    2560*1440
    no aa
    high settings with fake very high
    100fps average which is quite amazing considering how single thread the game is

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Crank up AA and watch the framerate plummet, and there is still a lot of aliasing, well at 1080p anyway.

I wasn't happy with how it looked aliasing wise until i was downsampling from 4k and maxing in-game AA (which itself looks a tad blurrier than i remember years ago), and at that point the framerate is "unplayable" even with both 970's enabled.

All that foliage makes it's a pain, i might just play the game with no contact lenses in :)

10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    so what to do for the aliasing? the game is not optimized enough to enable aa, i have edge aa enabled on config file anw.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    At the moment I'm still working on it, ran out of time last night but I wasn't happy with any solution at any resolution.

Since it's the weekend, I will try tweaking other settings that visually have less of an impact than my aliasing phobia.

I can see me disabling framerate overlays though, it's not like the game becomes unplayable at 50-60fps it's just that I get annoyed when I see it dropping on such an old game.

12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    ok waiting for ur suggestion on AA

13. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    The edge AA on this game is rubbish. I still see blocks with it on.

14. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    I am using same monitor as yours, LG 34UC79G, Haha! I actually just bought the Steam version few days ago during promotion, it is native support 21:9 Ultrawide 2560x1080 to me. I no need to do any manual changes. I am running at Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and no compatible mode is required as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    KissSh0t likes this.
  15. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    For AA in Crysis, back in 2007 I was using adaptive AA for ATI card which eliminated the alpha texture (palm trees etc.) jaggies. For this day, you have to use 4x transparency AA in the Nvidia panel in supplement to 4x in-game MSAA and plus forcing FXAA or SMAA from Nvidia panel or that famous tool I forgot it's name sorry. Hell, even only forcing FXAA makes a ton of improvement on the IQ (just look at the grass and palm tree's leaf).

Note that, in-game AA settings other than simple MSAA are obsolete and not supported anymore by the newer Nvidia hardware. I forgot their names as well sorry for that, there was a site that states each and every AA type in detail maybe you can search for it.

Lastly, don't use in-game edgeAA. It is nothing but predecessor of FXAA.

Good old memories... This game is nothing without a good anti-aliasing on alpha textures.

Redemption80 and Andrewtst like this.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    so u want me to force fxaa from the control panel?

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Most of today's GPU's can also make use of the fact that the game should still scale to whatever screen resolution you input with the console cvars though the game itself can be a bit CPU limited since I believe this version of Cry-Engine mainly only uses two cores.

Running the game at 3840x2160 from a resolution of 1920x1080 cleans up most of the aliasing and shimmering though FXAA or forced AA could also be useful.
    For DirectX 9 I guess it's also possible to force various AA modes at least with a Nvidia GPU's and inspector to get even better results such as SGSSAA, on AMD's side I'm not too sure how their AA overrides work these days.
    (In-game MSAA and then enhanced AA from the GPU could work.)

EDIT: Actually pretty impressive, even today few games offer downsampling like that though newer Cry-Engine builds do allow for SSAA and recently also temporal AA although I believe MSAA was deprecated a while ago.
    (First Cry-Engine game to support TAA would be Crysis 3 with SMAAT2X but then improved in later games and engine builds though Crysis 3 also supports SMAA 2x and 4x and even the T2S mode for multi-GPU support as I remember.)

Redemption80 likes this.
  18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I never got round to much testing at the weekend, just 15minutes on Saturday morning and that was downsampling from 4k with driver forced FXAA and while I was reasonably happy with the image quality, performance I wasn't pleased with though.

I want to do one final playthrough of this game and never revisit it again, but I may just wait until I get a new GPU and a 4k screen.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    So I installed Crysis from my retail DVD just now and at the end of installation it has a check for updates tick box, so I ticked it and it opened up Internet Explorer and it went to the Crysis page on EA's website, which should have the updates for the game, but it seems EA has changed the website in the past 10 years and now it just shows information about it being available on Origin... HAHAHAHA!

Spend money, get support.. woooooooo~

I screenshot the page it opens.

[​IMG]

20. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    As far as I remember the patches were never on EA's page. I always downloaded the patches directly from Crytek's site here:
    http://www.crytek.com/games/crysis/overview/download
    Damn the nostalgia entering that patch site, haven't been there in at least 5 years...

KissSh0t likes this.