NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Try TrMSAA maybe. (The simple on off toggle above TrSSAA)

2. Ungeheuer97

Ungeheuer97 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Tried it, didn't help. :(

Also, HBAO+ causes some weird vertical black lines in the upper right corner of the screen.

TrSSAA without HBAO+:
    [​IMG]

TrSSAA with HBAO+:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: TrSSAA works with the same profile in The Two Thrones.

In-game 4xMSAA:
    http://abload.de/img/pop3_2017_11_07_00_469rkzu.png

8xTrSSAA:
    http://abload.de/img/pop3_2017_11_07_00_496ikbo.png

HBAO+ works with the Aion profile as well, however it does flicker occasionally and bleed through the menu screen. I also can't capture it for some reason - it's absent in screenshots.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    That can happen, you can try the performance AO setting instead of quality or high quality. Sometimes that fixes it.

4. Ungeheuer97

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Still doesn't work.

EDIT: The 0x00000041 flag works with Sands of Time too.

No AA:
    http://abload.de/img/pop_2017_11_11_20_09_eakhi.png

8xTrSSAA:
    http://abload.de/img/pop_2017_11_11_20_11_3fk7i.png

For some reason forcing anti-aliasing causes some lines to appear on the Prince's pants. Otherwise it works fine.

EDIT 2: Enabling the AA fix seems to have solved the aforementioned problem:
    http://abload.de/img/pop_2017_11_11_22_30_a0k17.png

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

5. blackdragonbird

blackdragonbird Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080Ti
    Any flag to Unity 5+ engine? Tried the ones that I found but no one works in Cities Skylines.

Got HBAO to work in it again using DX9, but the AA is still very poor implemented. Need alternatives over Supersampling, it's not an option with my old GTX970.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    DX9 is the only option to force AA in unity. (Which in games you can disable FXAA looks decent enough, but performance can be an issue.)

Some unity 5 games use their new TAA, which is only any good if you downsample on top of it. Otherwise it's a smear mess like UE4TAA

7. blackdragonbird

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080Ti
    I'm already using it in DX9 like I said. But no AA flag I found in this thread works.

There's a mod that implement TAA in it but the "trails" behind moving people and cars are very distracting, but the quality is very impressive, basically it get rid of every jag.

Seems I'm stuck with FXAA from nvidia panel them. =(

Thanks.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    If you are using DX9, try 0x084012C3

9. blackdragonbird

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080Ti
    Interesting. Seems that the game has some bug with the UI.

Using this flag there where still no AA, but the GPU usage went to the roof. Like it was working, but, was not working. When I changed the camera to the Free Camera the AA kicked in.

I will post it in the Paradox forum, but probably the devs will not give a crap about it. =(

Thank you man. =)

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Well that's a last ditch sort of flag. One of those bits may be causing a problem. Try removing just the 8, or just the 4, or try changing the end to 81

11. blackdragonbird

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080Ti
    Tried all suggestions and still they only work without the UI.

I installed a mod that allow custom UIs to be used and it seems to not interfere with the game rendering.

Unfortunately SGSSAA is too blurry, I will use MSAA instead. Better than nothing.

Thank you for the help.

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Turn on or off the AA fix (Which can increase sharpness in many games), or change the very last number to a 5.

You can also simply sharpen the image.

MSAA will miss everything that isn't geometry aliasing. If you want to do that, change the end 2 numbers to 41

13. Your initiative will bear no fruit. They are one of the worst game dev companies. You would find more help on the EA forums if Cities was an EA game.

14. blackdragonbird

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080Ti
    I will try it. Thank you.

Yeah, I know it. The guys are over their heads with the success of Cities Skylines. They do not accept any criticism about the flaws of it and the fanboys are EVERYWHERE defending the "perfect" city simulator off all time.

I only play the game because I was a HUGE fan of SC4, but the thing is too old, don't run good in modern hardware, and there no other better than CS yet.

15. Ungeheuer97

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    OK, so water effects don't render properly in any of the games from the Prince of Persia trilogy when AA (0x00000041) is forced through the profile inspector. It's not a serious issue but I was wondering if anyone with more experience could eventually suggest a possible workaround.

Also, how can I prevent Anti-Aliasing from changing the in-game gamma? I've tried disabling Gamma Correction in a number of games but to no avail.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The gamma shift might be unavoidable unfortunately. If the game has a gamma adjustment you might be able to counteract it by adjusting that.

Alternatively you can try 0x000020C1 for MSAA. Might behave differently and might cost more performance.

It might also be worth trying just to use OGSSAA instead with 0x000000C1 (YxY Supersampling modes)

17. Ungeheuer97

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Thank you very much! Both of your suggestions worked and brought the in-game gamma much closer to the original. The game looks even better with 3x3 OGSSAA applied compared to 8xTrSSAA. However, OGSSAA seems to blur the image a bit. Is there any way to increase image sharpness (e.g. Negative LOD Bias)?

No AA: http://abload.de/img/1xtxdm.png
    8xTrSSAA: http://abload.de/img/2jnbhq.png
    3x3 OGSSAA: http://abload.de/img/3goys0.png

EDIT: Actually, I don't think there's any Transparency Supersampling applied in the second screenshot. Only 8xMSAA. I'm not sure though.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    In that Instance OGSSAA is not softening the image at all. You probably just aren't used to or do not realize all the stuff you perceive to be softened is actually being properly AA'd. (The textures on the armor for example. And the bandages. That's all aliased originally quite clearly and there is still aliasing left with OGSSAA.) TrSSAA you can't tell if it's working simply because there are no alpha tested objects present in that scene since that's all it affects.

You can try turning it up to 4x4, which should be slightly sharper (And may actually introduce aliasing back into the image from poor resolve). But those textures will remain similar to 3x3 because that's the ground truth of what's present beneath the undersampling present in the way the textures are rendered without AA.

OGSSAA also does automatic LOD adjustment. So further is not necessary, nor may it work at all.

19. Dweeb

Dweeb Guest

GPU:
    GTX680 4gb
    MrBonk, are you going to do a write-up for Okami?

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I didn't buy the game. Is it DX9?? If it is, I can probably buy it, test and refund it at some point.