Intermittent Video Playback Issue

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Solinari, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    Hello, been a while.

I am getting a video playback issue across all platforms from VLC player to Youtube. The audio is absolutely fine.

It's a stuttering issue about every second. I have had this issue 4 or 5 times now and it appears as suddenly as it disappears. I have tried all the solutions available from Google search. I have updated the video card drivers, I have updated Flash Player, I have updated Java, I have tried a System Restore and I even tried Reset PC (you can imagine how annoyed I was after that didn't work!).

It's entirely possible this issue will resolve itself by the time I get a reply since the issue has always resolved itself but I have no idea why it's happening or why it's going away.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  2. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    And, it's fine again. That's 3 days it's been stuttering and suddenly it's fine again. I know it's something simple.

3. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    79 views and not a single reply? I am open to suggestions. I thought it may be a conflict with my Power Plan and GPU/CPU Power Saving options from Asus EPU and MSI Afterburner. However, I haven't changed any of those settings but I still think it could be a possibility.

I can't think of anything else.

I am not entirely sure if this is the place to post this comment. I thought the Video Card forums may be an appropriate place, however, since it's across all platforms from media players to browser playback, I can only assume this is an Operating System issue or perhaps stems from the OS.

Really, any suggestions, at all, would be welcome. If someone has encountered this before and an update of any kind (drivers, Java etc) resolved it for you, then let me know, maybe I am missing something obvious. I am still convinced this is something simple.

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    It can be caused by latency. SATA controller kicking in during video stream while using HW acceleration, for example. The first thing I like to do for this is do a LatencyMon and see what is hogging timings.

5. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    Thanks. If, or should I say, when the issue resurfaces I'll take a look. I tried disabling Hardware Acceleration and it didn't work.

6. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    I think I found out what was causing it. My HDMI connection isn't solid, I don't know if it's the connector or the socket. I had the stuttering issue earlier and then I lost the image altogether because the HDMI cable gradually came out (stupid gravity, if only I was a flat-Earther I could blame it on a conspiracy) and I reseated the cable and so far, no stuttering.

I will have to put this to the test, of course, since I am not entirely sure this is the cause but it seems like a reasonable and simple explanation which is what I thought it would be. Derp for not checking the connection!

So, I have my PC connected to my TV and just now as I type I can see the TV move slightly from the vibration of typing on my keyboard so that, and gravity, seems to allow the cable to shake loose.

So, does anyone know if a poorly seated HDMI cable would cause a stuttering issue with video playback whilst not seeming to have an overall effect on the rest of the screen?