Samsung Achieves 1.7Gbit/s Downloads with 5G traveling at 100 km/h in a train

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    This is really cool and obviously a major achievement, but I also question how much this kind of technology was worth investing in. Nowadays, most people's phones have wireless broadband, and I'm sure in Asia, the phone providers aren't so stingy about bandwidth caps or tethering. In other words, seems like it's already nearing obsolescence.

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I don't know if mobile data caps will change a lot once 5G reach mainstream but right now i have the best plan i know in my country and it's only 25 GB per month.

Let's to the math: 25GB=150Gb so i can "enjoy" 88.23 seconds (150 Gb/1.7Gb) of the shiny new 5G speed per month!

4. Nomack69

Nomack69 Guest

GPU:
    GTX980M
    Kinda sad those limits of yours... I have here in Finland 150/50Mb 4G mobile and everything is limitless, calls, txt, data, and its only 24.90e/month :) most of the finnish ppl have these since we dont have datacaps. Waiting for 5G to arrive so i can toss my limitless 100/5mb cable connection away :p

5. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Seriously?? I'm paying 86$ Cad with taxes and all for my shiny 7GB per month here in canada for LTE speeds.

6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    man Canada is a joke for wireless data my plan costs the same about 90$ a month and i only got 3gb cap for the month which i share with my girlfriend because i refuse to pay anymore.

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    $76 CAD for 6 GB for me. Used to have unlimited way back when I had a Touch Pro 2, but those plans no longer exist.

5G doesn't interest me in the least, at least not until I can get unlimited data. If it was a choice between 5G @ 6 gigs and 4G @ unlimited I would gladly take the latter.

8. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    Completely agree with the "canada data rates are a joke" statement.

I wouldn't say that these speeds are approaching obsolescence yet, my suspicion is that as the years roll by people will need faster and faster connections to be able to continue enjoying any and all content on their smartphones or other devices.

my choice of words would be "highly futureproof"

9. Hapatingjaky

Hapatingjaky Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080Ti OC
    $215/month Canadian 4G/LTE

Unlimited Talk ( Nation Wide )
    Unlimited Text
    20GB Data

HAHA I win.

10. Canerw

Canerw Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 XXX glouglou
    €16/month 4G/LTE in France with Free.

Unlimited Talk ( Nation Wide )
    Unlimited Text
    Unlimited DATA + SPEED

Who's the winner ?? ^^

11. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Data caps = cancer

12. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    And how big is Finland, both in landmass and population? One could fit 2 of your countries inside of my Province of Alberta with room to spare, and our population is almost on par. It's not that countries such as Australia, Canada, and the USA are either lacking in service, technology, and/or overcharging in any regard. No, it's the infrastructure needed to cover such vast landscapes, and that comes at a cost, like data caps, bandwidth limiting, and high cost of adoption of new technologies.:cool:

13. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Are you canucks including a phone in that plan? Also I think Switzerland has you beat. At least in roaming, 6 euro per Mb

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Wish my 4G could do even 10 Mbit consistently...
    and I'm using a router with an external antenna.

Though the ISP support said for some reason my router connects to a mast 10 km away instead to one 4 km away.

The nearer mast uses 1800 MHz freq. so I can lock the router to 1800 but the signal is nonexistent, probably why the router defaults to 800 MHz further mast.

15. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Sweden is not much bigger than Finland and you won't find limitless for such cheap here at all. I lived in Helsinki Finland for 5 years and then moved back and was distraught just how behind Sweden was on this. The difference is likely due to what the governments prioritize.
    Caps also mean a lot of profit for the businesses, so this is why they are not removed.

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, imo, wireless is by far the biggest rip off today in technology. Apparently, many people are suckers for internet-connected cell phones, and the manufacturers like Apple and Samsung see you coming from miles away--and charge you through the roof, too! Wired Internet at home is so much better a value than xG, it's incredible that *anyone* is still using a xG cell phone. Right now I've got ~13mb/s (mega-bYtes) down and up, unlimited cap and access for ~$20 a month in a package deal through a Comcast fiber EWAN! That's it. I carry a dumb phone (gee, who would have thought of using a cell phone to make phone calls and nothing else!? I must be a genius...;)) Anything I need the Internet for I do at home *before* I leave...! The money you can save is quite substantial.

This really shows how stupid the net-neutrality people are, imo. Under all of Obama's vaunted "nn" rules--xG wireless Internet service wasn't affected at all! You get charged for ridiculous 5GB per month caps, all kinds of fees, etc. Bottom line is I could easily pay 5X what I am paying now for wired for a much inferior service product with utterly stupid caps built in. If you go on a road trip, the very nice side of carrying a printed map with you instead of relying on Google/Apple is that when I leave a wireless service zone the printed map still works...;)

17. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Buying the latest phone for 400$ with a 90$ a month plan is quite silly for most of the people who get such deals, you don't need to be a millionaire to have a decent smartphone and a small data plan, why not use a generation old phone at way less than half the cost while using a small 1GB plan? A lot of us spend a ton of time out of our home and need internet on the go. I'd be miserable with caveman internet like yours lol

18. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    One thing is certain. We can rest easy and not stress over 5G much for the time being.

None of current gen smartphones supports it anyway afaik. :p

19. gdmaclew

gdmaclew Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX-580 4GB
  20. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    What's "caveman" about his internet? He can stream 2x 4K movies at the same time. You need more speed for facebook or? :)