What to keep?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BLEH!, Nov 23, 2017.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Hey Gurus. I have a dilemma over what hardware to hang onto. I've always kept a spare PC around, and I got rid of some stuff to offset the cost of my X99 upgrade, but I've still got a fair amount of hardware lying around.

My current backup rig (7850K, 8 GB DDR3 2400 MHz) is alright, but I fancy replacing it with a Raven Ridge rig when those come out, so I figure now would be a good time to sell, maybe.

I've also got the old core of my main rig lying around (980X, 24 GB DDR3 1866 MHz) which is computationally far more powerful but significantly more power hungry and requires a GPU on top of that. The mobo (P6T7 WS supercomputer) is probably overkill for the needs I have.

I've also got an old AMD laptop (Trinity core I think) and an Athlon 5350 rig lying around somewhere.

The question being, what is it worth holding onto beyond my main (X99) rig and laptop to act as a desktop backup should go wrong?

Ta

BLEH!

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Sell your current backup rig as it's the most recent (=worth the most) and you'll replace it later. Use your 980X system as backup until then.

Ofc you can sell the old AMD system as well, but it probably won't net you very much.
    In other words it could be more effort-effective to just recycle it.

You can surely find a second-hand entry-level GPU for the 980X system for basically nothing. Or re-use the GPU from your current backup rig if it has one.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Seems like the best course of action. Backup rig doesn't have a GPU, but I do have spares.

4. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    If you want a good gaming laptop its going to cost you at least 1600 or 2000. gl

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Damn this is some next level trolling