Need help with malfunctioning card

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by vidra, Nov 24, 2017.

1. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Hi, as I was playing Grim Dawn today, my PC froze. I restarted it and the image started artifacting even in Windows. Now, when I check Device Manager, I have an exclamation mark next to my graphics card and it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". I've tried cleaning the drivers and re-installing them but to no avail. I suspect my card is gone, and yet with windows default graphics drivers, my 2d experience is now fine (I can browse, type, watch movies and such).

Has anyone had similar experiences? Is there anything else I could try? At the moment, I really cannot afford a new graphics card. In 2012 I managed to scrape enough together for a GTX 670 and it has served me well since then. I was hoping I could get a little more juice out of it, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I'd say there's not alot you can do other than buy a new GPU it's black Friday so you should be able to pick up something cheap and newer

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Hard to say there,you can try bake yours GPU which can bring bit of life for time of being,only this I can think off there

Few weeks ago something similar has happen to my GTX1080,stopped working,tried 2 boards and two CPUs(5930k and 5960x),but looks like card is dead,with stock cooler Geforce logo lit up and fan is spinning but that's it,checked board which seems is OK,RMA won't work in my case as I lost backplate where has been serial,when I moved to different place and EVGA won't take this GPU for RMA without the OE cooler and backplate etc and looks like I will be baking my GTX1080 as well :(

I never thought so this would happen to me

Hope this helps and good luck there

Thanks,Jura

nz3777 likes this.
  4. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately, Black Friday isn't a thing in Serbia. Some shops advertise "Black Friday" discounts, but that's like a 5% discount on USB cables. Graphics cards are not included.

As a desperate attempt, I will remove the card, clean it, re-apply some paste and hope for the best. Meanwhile, I can use my CPU's integrated GPU (never thought I'd need that crap).

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

You can try to clean the GPU and replace TIM which can help, if its artifacts in Windows or gaming then I would reflow GPU(bake GPU), over on AMD thread or subforum few guys done it and this helped them...

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Thanks Jura,

I appreciate that you're taking time to help me out. I've removed the card and I'll clean it first and replace the TIM. If that still doesn't work, I'll remove all the plastic parts and bake it. I've got nothing to lose.

7. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Do a RMA my friend. gl

8. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Vidra, don't bake that card yet. Chances are high that baking the card would help for a while (heat-gun with digital temperature controll is much better solution, it won't overheat capacitors mostly 105 Celsius rated), but try next thing first:

Saw the same thing two times so far (not mine cards) with same error code on GPU in Device Manager and reflashing GPU BIOS helped both times. God knows why/how, guess some static electricity was the cause, on both cards BIOS was corrupted. I went to TPU BIOS database, downloaded the right BIOS, flashed and that's it. As far as I know both cards are still alive, first one iirc was GeForce GT220, don't remember the second one, it was few years ago.

One more thing... If you going to bake that card in owen: don't do it in your own owen, wife is gonna kill you :D

About "Black Friday" here were we are: couldn't agree more, this is ridiculous, makes me wanna cry and laugh at the same time. It's just for naive buyers with wallets full of money.

@Hammie
    It's a GTX670 mate, RMA time is long time gone...

9. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    You could try reseating it into another PCI-E slot. Are you using DDU to clean the drivers? Use DDU in Windows safemode and reinstall the drivers in regular Windows. I hope this helps.

10. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    They can make good cards but not a freakin
    fan

11. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    IIRC I had exactly the same issue and I think it's a problem with the RAM so there's nothing that can be done.

12. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Just pick up gear and see how it goes. I hope all goes well. gl

13. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Thanks guys for all your suggestions. The card is definitely a gonner. Unfortunately I can't RMA it because the warranty has long expired. The epilogue is that I ended up buying a GTX 1060 6GB. It's a nice and quiet, albeit veeery long card. I could barely fit it into my case.

jura11, CrazY_Milojko and jbscotchman like this.
  14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I was about to offer selling my GTX 770 to you. However the 1060 is an incredible card for its price.

15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Great card, congrats!

16. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Wrong post! Thanks again for everyone's help :)

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Not sure if this does help OP but I just want you to update OP,as I said in few posts above my GTX1080 stopped working and RMA has been out of questions as I lost my backplate and only option has been reflowing(baking) GPU and this method worked in my case,GPU is working,trying right now with stock Founders edition cooler which is loud,but tried card in rendering etc and card is working as previously there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

18. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Maybe we can do some kind of Raffle for our fellow guru3d brother? Anyone have a spare gpu just sitting around by chance? I recently sold my old Gtx 780 I would have givin it to you FREE to be honest. What part of Serbia are you in, brother? CCCC!

19. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I'm from Novi Sad and thanks for your kind offer. It's really good of you! However, I have already bought a new card to replace my late GTX 670. I now have a nice and quiet GTX 1060 6G :)

nz3777 likes this.
  20. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Oh cool ! Da ti je sa srecom! My family is from Zemun,ZEMUNDA haha.