8700k showing high voltage

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Ricepudding, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    so been playing games on my 8700k and noticed it bumped up to 1.43v (normally more at 1.4 or 1.41v) at stock clock speeds. Mind you it does run on an asus board which syncs all cores making them all run at 4.7ghz. This was while playing the new assassins creed game

I don't know if it's just being read wrong. Or if the asus board is just pumping more volts than needed to just sync the cores or if I got a very bad chip.

Should I try and tweet the settings myself as this is a lot of volts to push into the system, I hear of people using less when more overclocked cpus

2. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    It does sound like the overclocking feature on your motherboard is using way too much voltage for that overclock. If you know how to overclock your processor manually go for it, but definitely try reverting the overclock back to stock because that is way to much voltage for that processor to hit 4.7Ghz. I'm using the overclocking feature on my motherboard as well. It's called TPII and its only giving my processor 1.312v at 4.8GHz. So that is a big difference compared to 4.7GHz with 1.4xv.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I will give it a go and see where I end up, cause it seemed way to high unless hwmonitor/cpuz is showing too much. On the motherboard screen it only says it's 1.125v, but I don't think I can believe that one.

I will try and play around with it and see what I can get. Should lower temps hopefully too haha

4. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Try manual oc. Not that hard, just start with setting the multiplier to 48 and then start at something like 1.34v. Then turn down 0.01v until your system crash and bump it up 0.01 again.
    Mine is rock stable at 1.28v@4.8/1.31@4.9/1.36@5ghz

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What you using to report your voltages?

Currently cpuz shows 1.28v at 4.7ghz all cores

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  6. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    I use both cpu-z and corsair link for control, they show the same. (Not all monitor software is up to date with z370.) Note that i use asrock z370 fatality i7. First releases of bios was sketchy, but latest (1.20) is very stable.

7. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well this seems stable currently at 1.28v at 4.7ghz all cores. I dont think I'll push it any lower as this voltage is much safer. And a stable one, though maybe I could go down to 1.25v if I wanted too but could be unstable. I will just have to mess around with it

8. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Easiest stable benchmark is either just run the one built in cpu-z (find it under benchmark) aida64 (only cpu) or just play battlefield1 (that game crash on any unstable cpu :). The hardcore benchers use prime95, but that just press the cpu way near thermal limit, that no real use ever will.

Ricepudding likes this.
  9. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Well I've dropped it down to 1.264v at 4.7ghz. Gone from the chip running near 80c fully loaded to now running around 67/68 fully loaded. Much nicer, though need to use it for a day to check real stability

Edit, I couldn't go any lower when setting it below 1.25 it puts it to 1.32v for some reason and just is not stable sadly :(

But this is fine thanks for the help and info

10. superpoeper

superpoeper Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    i set my ram timings first (only the first set of values the rest was left on auto)
    i also disabled some led crap settings (i dislike the rgb craze)
    i disabled the qfan settings so that the noctua NH-D15 Fans run at full speed because those two are connected to the motherboard (all my other fans are connected to two fan controllers i had from other builds).
    All other settings are left on auto at the moment.

these are my initial changed settings within the bios: (ASUS Hero X Board)

https://imgur.com/VWDUstL

https://imgur.com/XrYWn1f

https://imgur.com/9TVErra

i then tried this after receiving some feedback:
    And I changed these settings:
    svid behavior : best-case scenario
    cpu core/cashe voltage: adaptive mode
    offset mode sign: +
    additional turbo mode cpu core voltage: auto
    offset voltage: 1.250
    cpu load-line calibration: level 7
    IA AC load line: 0.01
    IA DC load line: 0.01

During Prime 95 4th stress test for 30 minutes give or take a minute
    CPUID HWMonitor gave these values:
    VID 1.284 V
    VCORE 1.312 V
    Cpu temp was 86°C for a very short moment and this is 2°C lower then with previous settings (the ones from the screenshots).
    (and it was at the same room temp as during previous test)

I guess i lowered my temps a small bit (2°C Profit) and it is still completely stable...
    i have not had one issue and i have been gaming quite a few hours...

I just finished the 2 latest tomb raider games with max setting @4k 60Hz Vsync (without using Anti aliasing)
    And the VID and VCORE never went over 1.4V

PS:
    In windows look at your power plan settings...
    try the default balanced power plan so it will lover the voltage and CPU speed automatically when idle
    (mine only lowered it's cpu speed and voltage when idle IF and only IF i disabled my bitdefender, asus aura and corsair CUE software)
    bitdefender: antivirus/firewall...
    asus aura: control rgb crap on GPU and motherboard
    corsair CUE software: corsair scimitar RGB settings app (DPI settings, macro's, lights...)

11. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

My Cvoltage is 1.248 stable now - this does offset to 1.269v when under full load.

VID shown on hwmonitor however bounces around all the time, even hitting 1.389v and at one point hitting 1.455v though i think this was only for a second. i'm guessing HWmonitor is just reading it wrong and not giving me the correct information.

Running Stress CPU on CPU-Z however only shows VID hitting 1.369v on both HWinfo and HWmonitor. just assume that it's showing the wrong information or its a little higher than it should be, least thats what i think.

Turning my Vcore down to 1.248v however has made me drop from around 80-85c in assassin creed origin to more like 65-70c

Edit: Also seems adaptive and offset don't work for me, for some reason and i cannot find out why if i put it on these settings instead of Manual it puts the Cvoltage back to 1.394v, which i'd rather it always run at 1.248v than be that damn high! Which it is low enough to be fine to run at that speeds, my pc isn't on 24/7 and my last pc ran 24/7 with 1.325v and never had an issue there.

Looking more into VID it seems software just is not picking it up correctly or the CPU is just asking for more than it really needs as this seems to be an issue all around with loads of people asking about it.

12. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    on mine maximus x hero if i enable adaptive its on desktop 1.5V and i 1.22 stable 4.7... curius when they realse new bios i cant wait mean while im in manual 1.2 for now but VID can go to 1.5v if he want.

13. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    New bios realese today for the maximus x and still 1.520V at desktop with LLC 6

14. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    what happens if you manual set the voltage? can you put it down? i just have mine always manually at 1.248v now, much safer and cooler

15. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    yes i have same at least its at my control i have 1.21 stable 4.7ghz mo need more 65c vs 90c when auto voltage
    im still curius if its motherboard broken or bios... ?
    if i enable adaptive voltages same as vid voltages i think and if i disable svid cpu power i have only offset settings from auto not like adaptive that i can specify from where do offset but still its didnt lissen to what i did 1.2 voltage and +0.010 adaptive offset
    no how i put down only with adaptive what ghz you oc at 1.248?

16. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Adaptive never worked for me, it put it too high on the voltage too.
    I'm only at 4.7ghz @ all cores. totally stable mind you

17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    It took me a while to get adaptive working. I don't see how you could find a good "perfect" solution with both adaptive voltage and regular LLC values.
    Load is just so different and voltage all over the place that I don't see much sense in running voltages high enough that each & every test might work.

So far, I tested the voltages I needed to be stable without AVX (Prime AVX was just way too much) and then checked what I needed to do to get the same voltage with mild LLC and adaptive voltage.
    This setting won't be fine with Prime & Linx anymore, but it still seems to be absolutely stable (especially as I tested all the voltages, not only vcore).

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Why are y’all using adaptive instead of offset? Offset still drops voltage when the CPU downclocks.

19. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Well, that's what offset is about, no? For me I can either choose fixed or offset/adaptive.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    On my board there is manual, offset or adaptive.