SamSung 960 Evo Firmware Update 3B7QCXE7 and 2.3 NVME Drivers

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by KyleStilkey, Nov 11, 2017.

1. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Hey guys,
    I just got a notification about this update and have installed it. I've not seen this posted around anywhere just just more of a heads up for users and to see if anyone knows what they might have changed or fixed.

Also on a side note incase anyone doesn't know they also released an updated NVME driver at the end of Oct version 2.3 that adds Support encrypted drive. I didn't see this posted anywhere here, but sorry if it's already been said.

mikev190 likes this.
  2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
  3. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    [​IMG]

Like I said, it popped last night, not sure what's been changed or fixed, but thought I would give this a throw out there since nothing's been posted about it.

4. Gonzo7

Gonzo7 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 GTX480

I have encrypted drive "ready to enable" since installing the 2.3 driver, is this for real!
    I am scared to reboot in case it goes away :)

5. blurp33

blurp33 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Same. Everything works fine.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Same here. Update was super easy, and super fast! In the latest Samsung Magician, just click update, it takes a second or two, shuts down (turns off the computer), and upon reboot ready to go. No long convoluted making a boot disk etc. Not available as a separate download currently (as a boot disk method), only through Samsung Magician.

7. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It turned out I needed to install Samsung Magician 5.1 to get the firmware update. I was running version 5, but when I checked for a new version it said I was using the latest one.
    I had to download it manually form their web-page.

8. Gonzo7

Gonzo7 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 GTX480
    No joy enabling bitlocker hardware encryption after setting it to encrypted drive. Anyone else tried?

*this will also f**k up any chance in using secure erase every again.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  9. Monstieur

Monstieur Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    It's not clear what they mean by Encrypted Drive for NVMe. I think it just toggles TCG Opal capability on and off. BitLocker is still impossible on all NVMe drives since there is no UEFI spec for booting it.

10. Gonzo7

Gonzo7 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 GTX480
    Tech can't tell me anything apart from the fact they only way out of this is to RMA it, they are happy to do that so they can reset it.

11. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Yeah their software never tells me when a new Magician update is out, I'm always checking their site every few weeks just to see if anything new has released.

12. Panagiotis

Panagiotis Guest

GPU:
    Radeon Pro Duo / 32
    Hello can anyone confirm if there is a problem with the latest firmware. When trying to copy a large file it starts at 1.6GB/s for a minute and then falls down to 350MB/s. When Reading from the 960Evo there are no problems speed stays stead at 1.5 - 1.6 GB/s but when i writing performance drops.

13. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Mine reports new update.

14. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Depends on source and destination.

15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Its not a problem with the firmware. Thats what makes the evo cheaper. It doesnt sustain the 1500+ mb write after 20GB. It will drop to 300mb. Which honestly isnt an issue unless you are using it for large storage or content creation and need very fast write speeds. For an OS drive, its bitching.

16. Panagiotis

Panagiotis Guest

GPU:
    Radeon Pro Duo / 32
    I also have a 950 Pro which works perfectly fine and sustains the speeds. I want to use it for content creation but i guess i can only use it as the source drive for the footage since the read speed is sustained (at least) and use the 950 Pro for the writes/exports/previews.

17. Panagiotis

Panagiotis Guest

GPU:
    Radeon Pro Duo / 32
    Do you mean per file? If i copy 10 files of 10GB will it sustain the speeds?

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

They can get pretty warm with frequent writes, those integrated heat spreaders that some motherboards have aren't there just to sound good :). Not sure how many GB written is required before throttling occurs.

19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I dont know if its 20GB total or per file. Im using it as an OS drive and havent writtent anything bigger then 11GB while testing speeds.

Ofcourse doing a benchmark in Samsung Magician, I got 2k read and 1350mb rite. The test before the new firmware was 1676mb read, and 1501mb write.

As for temps, mine hasnt ever gone over 36c while Copying the 11GB file from my 550mb/read ssd. But I do wanna put a heat spreader on it because it sits right above my fury. But most of the time the Fury doesnt go above 63c, and I have an exhaust fan under the fury and a rear 120mm exhaust fan. 960 evo 250Gb right now idle is 27c as I type this.

So I ran Crystal Disk Benchmark. Just read and write with 32GB file.
    Here is what I got with 1 file selected. I saw the write peak for a bit at 1700mb then it dropped to 300 and went back to 600 for the rest of the test.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That's normal as EVO drives use cache to get good write performance. After a threshold is reached it goes to a much lower sustained write speed.

Bigger drives have more cache and it will take longer to get the performance drop off.