Windows 10 FCU & GF driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by k4sh, Nov 16, 2017.

1. k4sh

k4sh Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070 @ 2139-2152
    Hello there,

So i just installed the latest windows FCU (version 1709) and now geforce drivers installation is just a pain.
    I used (maybe not a good idea) DDU to uninstall current drivers and then tried the latest ones (388.31).
    Problem is that whatever installation i choose (minialist or express) the drivers always fail to install.
    I have tried many things found over the net to solve that problem but never had a chance to do so like :
    deleting Nvidia temporary files.
    Stop AV and firewall.
    Stopping Windows update service to prevent any Nvidia software installation.
    None of these solution worked for me.
    Prior to windows FCU 1709 i never had any issue like that.
    Does anyone experienced this issue and found a warkaround ?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Clean install of Windows.

3. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
  4. Xul Aethyr

Xul Aethyr Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI MSI Gaming X 2ghz
    after fcu i also had drivers fail to install, after it quickly failed i manually uninstalled and restarted(pointless as windows reinstalled, so i just uninstalled again and didnt restart) i tried to install from the extracted driver package in nvidia folder but windows denied access, so i used 7zip to extract it in downloads where i ran the setup and it finally installed, i also had to wait for windows update to finish before it would let me install(it was installing windows defender update)

5. k4sh

k4sh Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070 @ 2139-2152
    Thank you, will give a shot tonight.

This i did uninstalled all i could and dezip the driver to run the setup. Even in administrator it didn't help.

The fact is that windows update tried to install an old driver and may be the culprit.
    But, even by stopping it and by stopping the WU service i could never achieved the driver installation.
    This driver installation has a huge issue that really needs to be fixed soon.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Intel chipset installer is not actually drivers; they simply add correct device name to device manager so the system does not give a yellow bang(unknown device).

@OP try snappy driver installer, it will update all system drivers to latest which may fix your issue.

7. k4sh

k4sh Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070 @ 2139-2152
    Another lead to follow. Thank you.

8. k4sh

k4sh Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070 @ 2139-2152
    So i finally managed to install the latest drivers.
    To do this, i had to restart in safe mode. Then I tried to install the 388.31 drivers which failed the same.
    So i tried the 388.13 which worked at the first time.
    Then, i installed 388.31 and it finally worked.
    That was a real pain. :mad: