Nioh: Complete Edition

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes. This is my settings file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <settings>
    <CONFIG_TYPE>CUSTOM</CONFIG_TYPE>
    <DISP_MODE>FULL SCREEN</DISP_MODE>
    <REN_REZ>LOW</REN_REZ>
    <SCR_REZ>3840x2160</SCR_REZ>
    <FPS>60</FPS>
    <SHADOW_QUAL>HIGH</SHADOW_QUAL>
    <AO>ON</AO>
    <RT_REF>ON</RT_REF>
    <MOT_BLUR>ON</MOT_BLUR>
    </settings>

I cannot see that other setting file that -Tj- mentioned was in the main folder though...

*EDIT*
    Just noticed that REN_REZ is set to Low not High! No wonder the game has aliasing, it's running at, presumably, 1920x1080 and not 4K (@ 2560x1440).

2. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    Yep, it needs to be high or the render resolution runs below display res.

I'm using 1440p, all settings on high except for shadows at medium and it's locked at 60fps, it looks and plays great.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ah sorry, its in main save game folder, but guess it doesn't matter, it didnt affect gpu usage when I raised to 4xSSAA..

btw use game launcher not exe, then it will save high ren_rez and resolution, etc..

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well, the launcher settings did not work for me at all as no matter how many times I changed the settings and clicked OK to save them the settings would revert to 1280x720 windowed on the Low preset. The settings just would not save from the launcher. In the end I had to change them in-game but that has everything but the resolution and screenmode so I had to edit the config file manually to set those and make the file read-only to prevent the launcher from resetting them. Running the game as an admin made no difference by the way. Could be a Windows 10 Fall Creators Update issue maybe.

Whatever, the game is working fine now and at 4K the graphics do look much nicer than they did previously (when I played it unknowingly at 1920x1080!). Some of the textures are a bit ropey but overall the game has a nice art style that compliments the level design. Shame that cutscenes run at 30 fps though as it is certainly noticeable (though I'd take that over pre-rendered FMV any day of the week!). Also, performance is 60 fps for 99.7% of the time but there are dips down to the mid-40s fps at times, especially during hectic combat with lots of particle effects on-screen. Still, the game otherwise runs silky-smooth even if it is capped at 60 fps, thanks to proper framepacing, and those few dips are worth it to run the game at 4K IMO.

A great game. Great on PS4, slightly better on PC thanks to a locked resolution (PS4 version uses dynamic resolution which even on Pro can dip below 1920x1080), a more consistent 60 fps framerate and, of course, higher resolution support too.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So all you get as a PC player is 4K support and 60fps? Nothing else? And for the ridiculous price of 50€?

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well, the PS4/PS4 Pro versions targetted 60 fps too (and did a good job holding it in my experience) so you're only getting the higher resolutions really plus any DLC that was released (hence the Complete Edition sub-title).

I paid £30 for this game from GreenManGaming when they offered 20% off plus a further 5% VIP discount. It's well worth that price IMO as it really is an excellent game; arguably better as an action RPG than Dark Souls (which has lacklustre cutscenes where NPCs converse with you without ever moving or moving their lips for that matter!). While artistically Nioh isn't quite as inventive as Dark Souls, it still manages to look very attractive at times and the levels are very well done with lots of things to find (plus completing missions unlocks further sub-quests too which often change the position of items and enemies slightly).

If you love Dark Souls or The Surge then this comes highly recommended. It's hard but IMO it's not quite as punishing as Dark Souls. It's also a far, far better port to PC than the travesty that was the first Dark Souls games.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Sorry, I should have said that I already own the game on PS4 (not the complete edition though). And regaring 60fps you are completely right but apparently it holds 60fps due to dynamic resolution scaling which often goes below 1080p. I feel that this could be correct since the presentation can sometimes be "grainy".

I have not completed the game on PS4 and when I saw the promise of 4K/60fps I got interested. 30£ isn't too much and the VIP discount is important in this case. But like you mentioned in your earlier posts, a HD/4K texture pack would have done wonders and probably help me a lot with the decision of buying this version.

Right now I can't quite see the reason to do it (especially since a 1080Ti can't hold 60fps on max settings).

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Part of the reason I wished for an HD texture pack was that I was playing the game at 3840x2160 using the low rendering setting which meant it was being upscaled from 1920x1080. That resulted in the game looking underwhelming in places with noticeable jaggies. Now that I'm actually playing the game at native 4K downsampled to 2560x1440 the game does look a lot better; better even that it does on PS4 Pro where it can drop the resolution down as low as 1280x720 according to Digital Foundry.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Did you start it trough launcher too? It sticks here if I do that.. Anyway ok there is always a workaround :)

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The game always starts with the launcher for me whether I launch the game from my Steam library or from the desktop shortcut.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Should be patched now. :)
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/485510/announcements/detail/1457339714342851962

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I wonder how the game looks in true 4K. I'm hoping that DF will post a performance video of this game sometime soon.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This might not be anything special technically, although IMO it looks a lot nicer that any of the Dark Souls games to date, but it does run very nicely indeed. Apart for some minor slowdown when things get busy and there are lots of particle effects on-screen (this is at 4K, mind you) the game otherwise runs at a silky-smooth 60 fps for 99.7% of the time with correct framepacing. It's an absolute joy to play a PC game that is bereft of any stuttering issues. Played it for about 11.5 hours so far and I'm enjoying it more than I did on PS4.

14. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  15. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Anyone found fix for horrible adaptive vsync?
    Forcing vsync off in NVCP doesn't seem to affect it at all, still runs at 30 FPS most of the time which is infuriating.

16. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Susahamat and warlord like this.
  17. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    @kx11 great finding my game is enjoyable finally, well, I suppose that forum has fixes for many 21:9 games I didn't know it. Thanks!

18. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
  19. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
  20. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    Very much looking forward to getting this game tomorrow. I never anticipated that I would play it let alone come out on PC. Really glad i did not watch the lets play although I did watch the beta videos.