Speakers hum only when playing games?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by mrlips, Nov 9, 2017.

1. mrlips

mrlips Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW
    I have a problem that I have been fighting for the past couple of weeks that I cannot figure out. My speakers started humming when I play any game and the hum changes with whats on screen. I found that I had a ground loop and fixed it but the noise continued. I tried a new SoundblasterX AE-5 and the noise is still there. I bought a Evga 1080Ti FTW card and the noise is still there. I tried onboard sound on my Asus Strix X-99, same sound. I tried optical on the Soundblaster and motherboard and the hum is still there. I bought a new shielded displayport cable same hum. I run my speakers through a Marantz receiver with every console available now hooked up to the receiver I get no noise with the consoles, only the PC. The next thing im going to try is a new power supply right now I have a EVGA supernova 1000p.
    One thing I noticed that seemed odd was when I hooked up the molex connector to the Soundblaster card the computer wouldnt power on, unhook the molex and it would power on. Does anybody have any other suggestions cause this is driving me crazy. Cross posted in the Nvidia section too.

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Well its obvious there issue with speakers.
    Try other source to make sure. Connect smartphone or tv and see if issue persist

Do you have amp implemented to speakers or dedicated

3. mrlips

mrlips Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW
    If it was the speakers wouldnt it do it while playing my PS4, Switch, Xbox one and 360. It doesnt do it while watching movies just games.

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Not necessarily. If you have a UPS, try plugging the amp into the battery side. This will isolate the amp electrically, and see if you still have hum.

5. mrlips

mrlips Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW
    I dont have a UPS.

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Can you describe your setup?

EX:
    1) Soundcard --analog--> AMP --> Speakers
    2) VGA --digital--> DAC --analog--> AMP --> Speakers

label each device with product name you actually using.

7. mrlips

mrlips Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW
    Right now I am using the Soundblaster Zx running analog to a Marantz sr5011 receiver then out 5.1 to Definitive Technologies speakers. I have tried optical too running from the Zx to the receiver and the noise is still there. Last night I replaced the power supply and reran all wiring in my computer and its still doing it.

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Ok. Do have any other sound output beside speakers?

1) Try plugging Headphones, IEMs or other speakers into your Marantz sr5011 and see if issue persist.

2) Make sure its not surround sound issue. If there way to force stereo signal, try it. Both PC and Marantz sr5011.

PC should be fine, we need to make if its your receiver that producing it.

9. mrlips

mrlips Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW
    I will borrow my sons headset tonight and try it. If it was the receiver wouldnt it do it with the other consoles? I will force stereo through the receiver and check then. Im also going to borrow his monitor and check that too.

10. Xul Aethyr

Xul Aethyr Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI MSI Gaming X 2ghz
    hmm did you unplug the soundcards 3.5mm to the receiver when you tried the digital out? even just plugged in it can introduce noise, if you did then this is very odd :p

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    He did optical signal to amp, and it still happened. Issue is not in soundcard.

It’s rather problem with amp or stereo to surround / surround to stereo (PC audio encoding or amd side)

12. Xul Aethyr

Xul Aethyr Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI MSI Gaming X 2ghz
    if he left the analog connections in while he tried optical it can still pick up electrical noise. it doesnt happen when he uses his conoles so its not the reciever. why would there be an encoding issue while hes playing a game and why would it change with what is on screen.

13. mrlips

mrlips Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW
    It was a bad power supply, I replaced it last night and the sound went away. Not sure why but thanks for your help.