Nvidia GeForce 388.13 WHQL Driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by skizzo, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Venomsword

Venomsword Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Elite
    Stutters for me too.

2. Madhatstand

Madhatstand Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    388.13, 388 or 387.92 would not install on my system while running a modified 980ti bios - so I flashed it back to stock just to test and hey presto, 388.13 installed first time with no issue... what gives? I want my modded bios back!!!

3. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    working fine on my laptop with GTX 960M, i also noted some minor fps gain in some games, but also noted a little sttutering in killing floor 2 but in general the gameplay feels smooth in most newest games

4. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    NVidia,, fix PowerDVD 16-17 3D ! and fix HDR already..... this is a bloody mess , can't do anything with Windows 1709 Fall Creators , can't play any 3D movies with PowerDVD and also can't play any HDR games.... like what the hell am I supposed to do with a gaming computer and PS4 is working perfectly fine !?

5. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'm currently using 387.92 and it doesn't go past 1080p. On 384.80, it does. Hmm looking at this I need 387.96? Wonder why 384.80 worked.
    Nevermind...needs FCU and a purchase of a HEVC codec. Sticking to the smart tv app.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Still haven't experienced any real stutter yet.. And Im also using windows gamemode when ever I can or if it doesn't have any side effects (occasional pauses)

The only issue sometimes is a bit laggy Firefox56 with flash video content.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I think the issue with videos cutting out in Chrome is Chrome related.

In tried 1709 with 388.13, 388.00 and now 387.92 and it still happens. Also went back to 1703 on 388.13 and 388.00 resulting in the same issue.

Pretty sure it happend when Chrome got updated to Version 62.

8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    MachineGames released a new patch for Wolfenstein 2, they still mention that Async is disabled untill NVIDIA releases new drivers.

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Actually they don't mention Nvidia in the point about async being disabled till newer drivers which makes me wonder if it's just disabled universally now.

10. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    PC Fixes

• Improved stability on NVIDIA 10-series GPUs
      o Async compute temporarily disabled until driver fix available

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That's not what I see in the release notes:

[​IMG]

12. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I think it's only for NVIDIA, can't see any reason to disable it for AMD cards.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Pretty sure it's still for the 1080Ti GPU's on Nvidia's side, unless they found something on AMD too in-between the beta version of patch 2 and this full release but I don't think that has changed.
    Pascal should have support for async too so I have no idea what the driver issue in question is, unsure what happens if you force it in the console or through launch paramters or config editing.
    (Curiously while water async compute was also mentioned that cvar is disabled by default even on AMD GPU's.)

(r_async should have most of them when using the console unlocker, which will need another update now for the final version of the second patch I'm guessing since the exe was updated.)

EDIT: Also unsure how much of a performance gain the setting actually provides, their Twitter posts and such tend to showcase async and compute shader increases over idTech6 from DOOM but it's a AMD supported game and they tend to highlight async and compute support so hard to say, once the driver fix in question is out and they update the game again to take into account whatever that driver will be named then a better comparison can probably be made. :)

EDIT: The next driver can't be that far out either, Battlefront 2 unlocks on the 17th and probably 3 - 5 days earlier for EA Access users, Need for Speed Payback also comes out soon I believe and both could probably benefit from having driver support.
    (But both probably also have some form of existing profiles though it can always be improved further.)

14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There are plenty of reasons. In fact, it was disabled on AMD cards too before 30/10 patch so I don't see why it can't be disabled again now.

Nearly zero for NV. AMD cards probably fare better but still it's likely to be in the usual ~+10% area. Twitter updates are mostly related to console renderers I think and a lot of stuff mentioned on them don't make much sense on PC at all (like why would you use compute to tessellate a surface if you have a fast FF tesselation h/w in your GPU? oh, right, you don't have that in consoles and as for PCs, well, tough luck).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  15. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I really hope that Volta will come with proper support for async.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There's nothing "improper" in Pascal's support for async. Also if "Volta"* SMs will be stateless like in GCN there will be even less idle bubbles in a typical graphics workload on "Volta" which means that async gains on it will probably be even lower than on Pascal. And this is actually a good thing.

* I don't think that Volta will ever come to GeForces. It will be a different arch next for gaming.

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Very unlikely. They already have the product. It makes no sense economically not to sell it. Even if it isn't as big a perf difference as Maxwell->Pascal was, they will make GeForces out of it.

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It makes even less sense to launch a product which will be almost a year old by the time of its launch. Or do you think that NV engineers were sitting idle during this whole time since GV100 launch?
    I think that it will be a bigger jump than Maxwell->Pascal was as it will be somewhat of a repeat of Kepler->Maxwell.

19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Since there's nothing from AMD that could rival them, they can release a year-old GPU as new. I don't see why not. Looks like a natural way to maximize profits.

I have a 980 Ti. The 1080 Ti is about 70-80% faster. If a Volta comes out that is 140% faster, that sounds like an insta-buy for many people. Upgrading every two generations is a very popular upgrade path.

Not too long after that, they can release their newer GPU and get sells from the Pascal owners.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    If there's nothing 'improper' with Async on Pascal cards then why do the Wolfenstein II patch notes specifically mention removing Async support for GeForce cards until it is fixed in a driver? I don't know whether it was that setting which caused the game to lock on a black screen when applying resolution settings in that game but when it was removed I had no further issues changing the graphics settings or resolution.

To be honest, DX12 and Async support in general seems a bit underwhelming on NVIDIA cards (well, DX12 on the whole is disappointing really offering nothing over DX11 in terms of visuals enhancements and next to nothing for most games when it comes to performance). AMD cards seem to benefit from both far more than NVIDIA to the extent that it brings performance much closer between comparable NVIDIA and AMD cards.