Nvidia GeForce 388.13 WHQL Driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by skizzo, Oct 30, 2017.

1. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Just chiming in to say I'm seeing stuttering in Wolfenstein II and Overwatch, happens every few minutes, but when it happens it is certainly noticeable on a Gsync 144hz monitor. Gonna roll back to 388.00.

Edit:
    Rolled back to 388.00, no more issues.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  2. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    I'm the only one having green flashing lights in fullscreen mode, with any games i try?This doesn't happen in borderless or window mode...

3. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Well known issue.

4. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    But if i go back to 388.00 i have not this issue

5. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    You should stick with 388.00. I'm sticking with 388.13 until the next WHQL.

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Next WHQL will likely come around SWBF2 launch on 17th of Nov. Hopefully it will fix whatever issues 388.13 has because there's a long pause in AAA releases after that - until the end of February.

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I wouldn't bother with these if you play BO3. I was hardcore grinding BO3 mp during 2x cryptokeys period. 388.13 has weird minor green texture bug that once it's triggered doesn't go away. I'm back on 388.00 and no issues.

8. sagnol

sagnol Member

GPU:
    nvidia 9400gt 1gb
    Wow everyone is having issues with 388.13 why nvidia didnt release a hotfix or something about the stutter...

9. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Yeah, mostly around mid of Nov'. I found two bugs with 388.13;

1) Launching an MPC-HC application that uses GPU-enhanced decoding in exclusive full-screen mode or playing Doom (2016) & Dota 2 Vulkan mode produces a black screen & without mouse cursor.

3) Alt + Tab out can cause some green artifact glitches for certain games in exclusive full-screen mode. (Tekken 7, TKOF XIV, SFV)

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I don't. I was able to replicate the stutter from power monitoring but I think that you have to run something really heavy and at ~30 fps for it to be noticeable which I currently don't so it doesn't affect me. No other issues besides the reported earlier output color bits reset on reboot.

11. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Well I guess I will post again as all is still well over here after playing quite a few games. It seems a lot of people are having crazy issues with these so I though I'd update with an expanded list of games played with zero issues and how I go about installing/managing my driver updates.

I have installed every driver using this system: I always do the the 'minimal' install where I extract the installer and delete every folder except for: Display.Driver, HDAudio, NVI2, and Physx while I only use Display Driver Uninstaller between driver branches and I just install over the previous drivers if they are still part of the same branch. I have had very little issues since owning this card and have stuck to this install plan which has clearly minimised my issues compared to many people across a multitude of forums. Although, I do understand just because it works for me doesn't mean it'll work for you as there are so many builds out there but I truly believe the above to be a good way to keep updated and minimise issues.

I am running Windows 10 x64 1709 with game bar (and everything to do with Windows 10 gaming as in DVR etc...) disabled with a GTX 980m and these drivers are fantastic running without a single issue while games play smoothly on a 100hz panel using nvidiaprofileinspector to limit FPS @ 90 (I can't tell a difference between 90 and 100 while I can between 80-90 so I decided to ease the load on my PC and stick with that while it also reduces tearing and the need for vsync in 99% of games) with fast sync enabled globally in NVCPL and vsync off in almost every game without a single bug, hitch, or otherwise (I had to turn vsync on in Wolfenstein TNO or it would just tear 100% of the time no matter the frame rate).

Been playing Warframe, Wolfenstein TNO, Rocket League, RB6 Siege, Dying Light, Quake Champions, Dragon's Dogma DA, Castlevania LOS UA, State of Decay YOSE, PUBG, Fortnight, 7 Days to Die, STRAFE Millennium Edition, Resident Evil 7, Immortal Redneck, Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice, Stories: The Patch of Destinies, and more.

EDIT: I would also like to note that I am using a program called Compact GUI which uses some sort of build in, optimized compression within Windows 10 that compresses files without actually putting them into a compressed file so it all looks and runs the same while I have saved over 100GB on my games alone! I use 8k compression as I have a laptop so my CPU is under-powered compared to desktops and even with a 3.4ghz i7 4710HQ I have not noticed a difference in loading times or performance and I am sure that most of you with much better processors could use 16k or higher and save way more space without having an impact on performance/loading. Highly recommended!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You always have stutter with this setup, so you're used to it.

(It is impossible to not have stutter with 90FPS@100Hz, and it's amplified even more by fast sync.)

13. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I am very sensitive to stutter and do not have it in the game listed. If I have stutter I do everything possible to fix it as I most assuredly notice it and hate it. Just to be clear by stutter I mean constant stuttering. If there is a bit of stutter during a particular part of a game where these is intense loading and it is normal then I do not care or comment about it, but if there is during normal game play and it is constant or semi-constant I absolutely cannot handle it.

For example in Warframe when you enter/exit the gates of the Plains of Eidelon there is massive stuttering but it just because of loading without a loading screen. In the Evil Within and Devil May Cry there was stuttering throughout the game play and I figured out everything I could do in order to get them running smoothly (and I was able to for both) as I can't abide that during normal game play.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @Mott 90FPS@100Hz has stutter. No way around it. There is no way to fit 90 images into 100 frames without duplicating some of the images.

It is physically impossible to not have stutter. You're not as sensitive to stutter as you thought you are.

15. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    So Agent if I understand well, you tick the 'disable full screen optimizations' in every single game executable without exemptions ?

16. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    I unticked the "disable fullscreen optimizations" on BF1 and in BF1 set it borderless screen. Now I can open gamebar in-game and from there I enabled game mode for BF1 specific.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Correct; I've seen no benefit with FSO enabled.

Apparatus likes this.
  18. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Not everyone, I don't have issue also. Not stutter issue to me.

Deleted member 255716 likes this.
  19. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    The Division still has flickering green artifacts under DX12.

20. JonnyF

JonnyF Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti 6G
    Hi,

I posted in an earlier thread for 387.92 drivers, I noticed that TimeSpy Graphics test 2 (only 2) is a micro stutter fest on these drivers.

It still seems to be the case @388.13. (including drivers in between 388.00 definitely)

I reinstalled Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and let it install the Windows Update version, which is 385.79

The issue is gone at this release, upgrading back to 388.13 and the problem is back (used DDU to uninstall clean from safe mode)

So, it's definitely a driver issue.

Funny how no one else has noticed this, generally gaming is great bar a couple of titles like Forza 7 where you get stutter at times (probably more to do with the lack of proper threaded CPU optimisation) - but I was just wondering if this driver issue was part of the problem since I could repeat micro stutter issues in Time Spy.

Maybe someone could test?

My system specs are i7 7700K and MSI Gaming X 1080Ti 11Gb, 16Gb DDR4Ram, Z270 TUF Mark 1 Mobo.

Cheers,

Jon.