Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, Jun 11, 2017.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I like the graphics, but the characters look very different from before. In particular, BJ and Anya are unrecognizable - frankly, I think they went too far with the redesign.

2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i don't have the game but i heard Vulkan isn't doing much for it performance wise

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Not sure about that. In fact, I completely disagree.
    Didn't find BJ or Anya... or any character unrecognizable. They look like they did in the previous games.

4. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I don't care about this game anymore, but damn Damien - don't you have a problem to recongnise people in real life sometimes? The two chicks above in Marcel post are completelly different persons. Even BJ had some pretty severe wrinkles in TNO, but in TNC he looks like 30-something also with different face. In fact all of the characters looks like vax figures in TNC. Reminds me of Doom 3 BFG redesigns, very much unnecessary and uncalled for.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This is by far the best fps game I have played in YEARS!!!

Metro LL and 2013 are both amazing fps games, the original Wolf and its DLC were both great too but were hindered by a terrible game engine.

I LOVE IDTECH6! This game pushes some of the best animation, best lighting, and best frame rates I have seen in a game. Not to mention the gameplay is fun as hell, the game is genuinely funny, well written, well acted, and has some deep characters and emotion thrown in too.

Outstanding work by the devs!

6. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Best is subjective.
    Great to hear though you found it best.

7. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6950
    do the cutscenes look like they are running at 30 fps. I just checked with afterburner and they're not. With v-sync on they run at 60fps, uncapped they run at something like 600 fps

8. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    @macatak The cutscenes are pre-rendered, so it's just a video, not actually rendered!

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Thank you for that. :) Made me laugh. Nice to have a good laugh in the morning.

10. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    skybox is fixed on next patch , tiago sousa said will be up soon around this weekend

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Nice. Interesting to see what else the patch addresses.

12. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    Maybe not unrecognizable, but I think character models were a lot better in the first game.

[​IMG]

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Texture detail seem to be affecting the faces too at least for some of the characters, weapons too for that matter.

Unsure if it's caused by this but the game only has 12 GB of texture data in that "virtualtexture" folder which from what I know is pretty low for idTech5 and 6 even if Mega Texture was reworked a bit in idTech6 though then again most of the environments appear to look fine though lighting for a few level is a bit bland.

EDIT: Another beta branch update?
    https://steamdb.info/app/612880/history/

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    They look quite plastic don't they,

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, I just downloaded another Beta Patch, same size as the last one. So... hmm.

16. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    double post

17. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    "DirectX 12 & Vulkan

DirectX 12 is a new, “console-like” graphics API from Microsoft that empowers game developers with more direct and obvious control of PC hardware.
    This direct or “explicit” control better exposes the hardware resources of AMD Radeon GPUs to yield higher hardware throughput and, ultimately, more performance for users. To put it simply: much more efficient hardware through smarter software! At the discretion of a game developer, this superior efficiency can be spent on higher framerates, lower latency (VR), lower power consumption, better image quality, or some calculated balance of all four. In any scenario, gamers stand to benefit greatly from choosing AMD hardware to run their favorite DirectX 12 game."

In short: the games will perform better while looking like consoles plastic(or less polygons) graphics.

I love Wolfenstein The New Order,gameplay and graphics,but this Wolf2,well,not.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    The more I find out about Tiago Sousa, the more I like him. He's a true professional, a man that takes pride in his work. He just revealed some technical info about Id Tech 6.5 in Wolfenstein 2 from his Twitter account, and this engine is just incredible:

1) +30k drawcalls per frame, up to +6 million triangles per frame (low level API be praised!). That's almost half a billion tris/2 million drawcalls per sec. 30 times the amount of draw calls found in Doom!

2) All "fog" is volumetric and unified, every light + shadow + indirect lighting affects it, including water caustics / underwater light scattering.

3) Water surface is "tessellated" on the fly without GPU tessellation. Caustics are dynamically generated and derived from water surface. Water geom also uses async compute jobs to async with itself ( which is kind of crazy ).

And he hasn't finished optimizing yet! He says there's still room for improvement! :D

19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    The beta 2 patch fixes that annoying skybox corruption glitch!

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I just remember that running the game in OGL and then switching to Vulkan added a good 20-25fps. So it does something right, that's for sure.