The Ultra-wide club

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by wavetrex, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Hi, I can't use Nvidia to do it as I am running laptop and main output is control by Intel HD 530. My Nvidia 970m only active in gaming and video playback. So the only way is using CRU and nor-matter what refresh rate I set also facing that issue. I even set as low as 50hz. By the way the highest I can go is 56.5hz due to I am using HDMI cable only. Maybe HDMI cable issue also, if this the case then no choice as my laptop don't have Display Port.

Do you might give me your custom setting from Nvidia. A screenshot is fine.

2. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    This is junk, unless its 4k resolution. Your not going to like it when the price goes down and something new comes out. BTW curve blows goat imo. Gimmick make things nasty and what not. gl

3. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    You obviously haven't tried a curved monitor yet. Useless for TVs, perfect for ultra-wide monitors though.

Shataan likes this.
  4. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti

Agreed, especially larger ultrawide monitors. TV's can work, you just gotta be in the middle and at the right distance, making it very impractical for most rooms.

To each their own though, Hammie may just not like it. The curve can be subtle at times but it makes immersion more intense and makes the screen feel bigger. I really like it when I have 2 web pages open, its like the page is turned to me a bit. Just like having 2 monitors on my desk pointed at me but without the bezel in the middle. Its pretty sweet.

5. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Absolutely agree. Ultrawide is real awesome especially the curve give real immersive.

As for normal wide wise I do feel it is not very necessary.

6. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    I know more then you, Im 40 years old and I pown you. I went and saw 1 curved screen at Costco the rest were flat TV's/ Why you getting angry about my opinion. It looks nasty curved, I want straight Relax there buddy Ive been using 4k resolution ever since they came out withi it. I payed 700 bones and its not LED cuz LED is a gimmick too. gl

7. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    I want a picture that looks identical to my ctfmon. sony FW900 22.5 inch ,,,,, for 10 years I used 2304x1440 @ 80hz. I dont need extra background lighting. thank you

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    The curved Ultrawides are fine for up-close monitor use. Having had fun doing a 5-screen curved setup to do 200 degree visual gaming is a hoot. :) Tho now you can do VR headsets for similar affect.

9. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Are you sure that your screen is CFL backlight, even though it's a 4k resolution? I wouldn't bet on that.

As someone already said, curved monitors are great for the immersion. And it's much less hassle than using 3 screens at the same time.

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    What do you guys think about this? Can I do 1 ultrawide in the center plus 2x 1080p on each side? Or will that mess everything up? Trying to complete our surround setup.

11. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    49" that one is not Ultrawide, it is Super Ultrawide release by Samsung, in the whole world only got one model.

Ultrawide is 21:9 aspect ratio - equal to cinema 2:35:1 movie
    Super Ultrawide is 32:9 aspect ratio - Eyefinity gaming purpose

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  12. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    In this setup, you can just go for Samsung 49" Super Ultrawide monitor, it is 32:9 ratio, will be perform as what you want without the black border. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  13. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Just notice put Start Menu at Left Side is kind of nice for Ultrawide monitor. :)

[​IMG]

14. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I've had this on the left side for years. Our IT guy hates it :D

By the way, does anyone here have a good idea for background lighting? I always liked Philips ambilight and I have a 3rd party solution for my regular TV.
    Any good solution for 21:9?

15. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Finally added the second monitor. :D

[​IMG]

Main Monitor - LG 34UC79G - UltraWide 21:9 ratio, 34" 2560x1080 resolution.
    Second Monitor - ViewSonic VP2468 - Wide 16:9 ratio in Portrait Mode, 24" 1920x1080 resolution

16. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    I am the IT guy, nobody can hate me put at left. Haha! :p

21:9 most manufacture by LG, Asus, Acer and Samsung. I think Philips don't have UltraWide

17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Yes, but I'm searching for a background lighting solution.
    Something like DreamScreen, Lightpack or such. As far as I'm aware, at least DreamScreen 1 was only full HD and 60Hu compatible.

18. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Ooh. Such thing I really no idea

19. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Just to give a little update: I tried a Lightpack device, with 10 packs of LEDs behind the screen. After fiddling around with different software programs, I finally found a good program & setting that worked in all my games.
    The biggest issues I had remained though: The "resolution" of the LEDs is rather low, as each pack can only display one color (not one color per LED). The other issue is the latency it has, maybe due to the low resolution.

Now I'm looking for a new device, as the effect really adds to the immersion of the screen.

20. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I'd move taskbar, also vertically - coz vertical space is premium, all shortcuts, info - such as date/time and whatnot to secondary display if I were you. Otherwise I like what I see. Well, backgrounds will need to be darker and with less blue and all displays will need to be calibrated, but that's OCD talking, don't listen.