Assassins Creed Origin DRM Triggers High CPU Utilization

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    It really hammers my performance, in cities my performance would drop below 35fps resulting in low gpu usage.
    Six core CPU's don't seem to suffer much from these fps drops so it's not tied to my GPU.

I compared the performance to someone's video showing Ryzen 1600 /w Vega 56 hitting 60fps in Siwa.

3. Hulk12

Hulk12 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 :D
    I've bought Octane Render standalone in 2016 :) because this OR is NEVER pirated yet. The best protection anti-piracy by OTOY is excellent for almost no any CPU utilization. :)
    Denuvo DRM is FAIL. lol

4. kaz050

kaz050 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW RGB
    UBI is running dual DRM's VMProject and Denuvo.

5. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    My i7 4790K @ 4.6 @ 1.25 is being pushed more than any other game it is at 100% so often its more like a CPU stress test.
    My CPU cooler is keeping the temps down, I wouldn't recommend playing this game on a stock cooler.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Gee, and companies wonder why people pirate games...

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'm sorry to say but I'll wait for a no DRM patch. This is absurd and shouldn't happen. So, now that we have better performing CPU's they use the extra cores for DRM instead of making the game better? Nah, not dropping a single coin on this!

So glad I stooped buying AAA games, just Indies now.

8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I think Ubisoft is getting desperate since Denuvo keeps letting them down.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Same here, or at least I don't buy a AAA title until maybe 2 or 3 years later, where the problems are either ironed out (and if they're not then I dodged a bullet). Sure makes hardware purchases much cheaper, too, since indie titles tend to be less demanding.

Silva and HonoredShadow like this.
  10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah. Voksi posted it on reddit. For the techies,

"I played the game for a bit, tried to trace what is happening and here it is, complete proof that the game is calling VMProtect section (.vmp0) at run-time non-stop. God only knows how deep it goes."
    [​IMG]

How long until Ubi even distributes ransomware at this point?

RzrTrek likes this.

11. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Do we know if they are making a fix for this? The game itself is so good that i'm not that bothered anymore by frame drops in citties.

12. Tuoni

Tuoni Guest

GPU:
    Denise
    I bet it's all one big conspiracy to push Threadripper/i9 CPU sales! :D

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Which in turn is all masterminded by the power/oil companies.

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I am playing the game at 2560x1440 on maxed out settings with dynamic scaling turned off on an i7-4770K @ 4.0 GHz, 16 GB, GTX 1080 Ti, Windows 10 Pro v1709 PC and I have been seeing CPU usage in the 80-100% region almost all the time. GPU usage is also high but that is not surprising as I use G-SYNC on a 165 Hz monitor with an uncapped framerate (well, technically capped at 165 fps).

Performance is all over the place - 65-110 fps in the opening village with even though it is fairly densely populated to 35-55 fps in Alexandria, the first major city I've visited. While G-SYNC helps iron out any stuttering (mostly, since the engine is prone to streaming stutters, especially for the first 5-10 minutes after loading), the dips from 100-35 fps are certainly noticeable.

I have enjoyed the dozen hours so far though even if I suspect performance is not where it should be. No other game that I've played has maxed out all 8-threads of my CPU 100% for prolonged periods and visually, while Origins does look lovely, I am not seeing a massive leap in detail or NPC numbers over Unity or Syndicate. Both of those games run better on my hardware. And when you factor in that the Xbox One and PS4 both have woefully weak CPUs in comparison to even low to mid-range PCs then it's not hard to think there is a problem somewhere.

Whether it is the DRM or not, I don't know. I guess we will have to wait for more PC sites to do in-depth testing on the game to see if their is any truth to the rumours. Of course, I do not code games so I have no idea what CPU usage should be on a system like mine. At a guess I would have expected it to be very similar to other open world games like previous AC games and Grand Theft Auto V which have complex A.I. running. I am not seeing anything more complicated in Origins though; in fact, the game seems to "cheat" in places as I've seen animals switching from what appears to be static 2D sprites into 3D models as I've approached them. This isn't normally obvious while walking but if you run or are riding a camel or horse then it definitely is!

15. Tuoni

Tuoni Guest

GPU:
    Denise
    A crack won't remove the DRM, it will just fool the game into thinking you're running a legit version.

A crack won't remove all the DRM code from the game.

Silva likes this.

16. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    It's almost like some people just want to buy a game, install, and get to playing :eek:.

Keitosha and Silva like this.
  17. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    The Irony of Yves Guillemot's words when he claimed 93-95% of games on PC are Pirated are still coming back to haunt him. Hey newsflash you arrogant idiot Yves, people wouldn't pirate your games if you released them as quality products not riddled with bugs and stuffed full of DRM to stop the people pirating them. He probably should check out that EU Commissioned Research Paper the EU tried to bury which highlighted that games didn't lose sales from piracy, in fact it worked more like free advertising for them...

HonoredShadow and Neo Cyrus like this.
  18. Megabigd

Megabigd Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 3080TI FTW HYB
    I personally am not having any problems on both of my computers.

1440p with a 5820 and 1080ti maxed locked to 60fps. Never drops. Stutters every once in a while in cut scenes.

4k with a 3570 and 1060 on high locked to 30. Never drops at all.

On both computers, neither is getting anywhere close to 100% usage.

Lucky I guess

19. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    Its a viscous circle, devs blame sales due to piracy, mostly cause of there greed for every penny tbh, drm comes in then legit buyers pirate, so its forever blame pirates, blame devs for drm

I wont buy this game till they completely remove the drms, il wait for other means to get this game and test it out now
    If anything this Denuvo crap is only making more people pirate as If you dont have a connection to denuvo server you cant play for years to come
    Devs should just cut there losses, you wont ever stop piracy whether its music, video or game etc, focus on making a great game or whatever and people will buy it

HonoredShadow likes this.
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    DRM do nothing but piss off there buying customers special with crap like this.

cdprojektred understands this and make games people want to buy and there for there games sell why cant rest them do the same.

Ubisoft in my eye are almost as bad as EA if not worse followed by Activision. Since the age digital, Q/A or Q/C or what ever you want to call it has droped like 10 ton brick, game are released broke and by that I mean in state where 10+ years ago they game would never been released. granted things are getting more technical and complicated but they dont want to put in the work needed these days to make sure it ready and worthy of peoples money.

lucidus likes this.