Assassins Creed performance: Origins likes 8 or more Threaded CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    If they like 8+ threaded CPUs why is the 1800X at the same performance level as a 7700k?

ivymike10mt and rl66 like this.
  3. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    It has begun...

4. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Because for some reason Origins doesn't like AMD's CCX structure much. ThreadRippers have to drop to a single CCX as it doesn't like the Quad Channel memory config according to reddit (so salt pls). Initially it was thought to be a too many cores thing, but seems to be quad channel for TR4's issues. Hopefully Ubisoft can do some optimisation and get performance up to where it should be. Though after Watch_Dogs_2 not really expecting much from them.

5. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    The reason for that has been found - while attempting to crack them game it has been found its using VMProtect on top of denuvo - Ubishit shitting on their costumers again...

6. xoroku

xoroku Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX 670 2Gb
    We won't know the performance impact of the VMProtect layer is until it's cracked but it's safe to say that the impact is there and noticeable. I just hope they'll patch the game after it's cracked so that paying customers get the same performance. And I really hope that people will make a big stink over it once the numbers come rolling in showing a 30% CPU usage for something that doesn't add to the game in any way.

7. kaendd

kaendd New Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Actually the cracked version still have Denuvo/VMProtect running in the background so the performance is almost identical to a legit version of the game (it's like an emulation to fool Denuvo into thinking the cracked version is a legit version). To really measure the performance impact of Denuvo we need to compare with a version of the game where the developper itself removed Denuvo (and without changing anything else in the code besides removing denuvo related code).

rl66 likes this.
  8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Because a core from AMD doesn't react like a core from Intel... And even in own brand core differ in the same family.
    it's the main reason why in most case the best 8 core from AMD previous gen were unable to get a 4 core from Intel from previous gen.

Also it depend of the game code optimisation, but the more you optimise the more you might have compatibility issue... then they don't do it too much (the more you sell the more you get money... remember the farcry 64 for AMD fiasco... )

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    true...

10. ingeon

ingeon Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-768I
    This is very intresting. Since PCiE 4.0 is coming I'll wait till the dust settles and then upgrade.
    Currently have enough games to play that run perfectly fine on my trusty 3770k from Q2'2012

11. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    No, it hasn't. Its a new software protection (VMProtect) eating up more CPU time.

VMProtect Virtualizes Code
    Code virtualization is the next step in software protection. Most protection systems encrypt the code and then decrypt it at the application’s startup. VMProtect doesn’t decrypt the code at all! Instead, the encrypted code runs on a virtual CPU that is markedly different from generic x86 and x64 CPUs as the command set is different for each protected file.

So a legit user needs to suffer performance penalty even if he spent 60€ for this game, just because a few people want to pirate it. Ubisoft I got news for you if they pirate it they wouldn't buy it anyway. I'm glad I do not buy games at the release date anymore. It's better not to buy a cat in a bag.

The performance penalty might be huge, depends on how many files are protected, if each file need a separate virtual processor to process encrypted game code which then needs to be translated to normal assembler x64 instructions. Also VMProtect claims that their software is fully compatible with most Windows OSes including 32bit Windows 95, that may indicate the CPU emulation is done fully in software, so no hardware virtualization extensions like VT-d, etc. are used.

VMProtect Supports Most Versions Of Windows
    Unlike some competitors, VMProtect doesn’t rely on undocumented Windows features, so protected files work well on almost any version of Windows OS, starting from Windows 95. Both 32 and 64-bit versions are supported and there are no problems with DEP or UAC.

HonoredShadow likes this.
  12. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    8700K its barely come into market, its not cheap 6 Core CPU - not 8C.
    But nah forget it.. this game was coded by monkeys. I just feel just Ubisoft strikes again.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    procreating Ubisoft gonna Ubisoft.

14. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    And so my personal boycott of Ubisoft continues - ever since Starforce.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  15. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    Zen is a good architecture, with good IPC (just look IPC test here on Guru 3D), but it wont be as good as it could be(especially in games) if softhouses don't take advantage of it, I think that Tomb Raider's patch proves my point.
    Is Intel a bit ahead? Yes. Should the diference be that wide? No. :)

airbud7 and Loophole35 like this.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Could not agree more. However don't expect Ubi to be the one to set the trend.

airbud7 likes this.
  17. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Has anyone tested the Ryzen 6core vs 8 core on this game

18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Man that 8700k is one bad ass processor!......Zoom!

19. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    The fact that I7-8700 is so much faster than 7700K tells that. Also how do you think 1800X with less single threaded performance is able to keep up with 7700K's higher clockspeed, if not by it's additional threads? Though the mention that game benefits from additional 8+ threads is a bit cliche, as most games nowadays do.

Gaming cpu performance is all about getting efficiency to your critical threads. In DX9-11 , and OpenGL surroundings these are your main game logic thread, and driver thread. The faster your cpu can execute additional threads, the faster game logic gets to parse that data, and send it forward to sound and driver threads to process them futher (to gpu and sound card). I7-7700K's case efficiency of total clockspeeds towards game logic is simply less, as the thread simply needs to wait for other data to be executed longer.

20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If you like a product that is too expensive and should have been released 3+ years ago, sure!

Keitosha, xIcarus and airbud7 like this.