Assassin’s Creed Origins

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Not necessarily this particular game, but they are definitely in the process of transitioning AnvilNext engine over to DX12. They spoke about it in GDC earlier this year, so a lot of people (including myself) thought that AC Origins would be the first AnvilNext game with DX12 support.

They could still do it I suppose, and release a DX12 upgrade patch later on.

2. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    No they can´t, they are journeyman studio when it comes to pc, Ubisoft Montreal never fixed some of the graphic glitches in Unity and never delivered the tesselation patch for it, even some of their other half good latest ports still suffer unexplainable slowdowns/hiccups on high end systems and will never get fixed.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  3. MrIGM

MrIGM Guest

GPU:
    CZXZXC
  4. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 TI FTW UL

5. MrIGM

MrIGM Guest

GPU:
    CZXZXC
    yeah... 2 layers of DRM....
    what next? do you believe once its cracked they remove it? have they ever?

6. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    Somebody explain this too me...

[​IMG]

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I’m am now in Alexandria after 10 hours of playtime and a *lot* of exploration and dying due to encountering not just high-level enemies, where my weapons do no damage, but also tough-as-nails hyenas!!! Love the characters and missions so far. Feels like a real place as opposed to one made for a videogame, cliched as that might sound. The combat is also excellent in this game; weapons have a real sense of weight to them and you can feel their impact (playing with an Xbox One controller so that rumble helps here too).

The opening area is great with lots of detail and a busy, lived in feel but Alexandria is on another level. It is astonishing and beautiful to behold, and is by far my favourite setting of any Assassin’s Creed game to date. I’m just having so much fun with this game... and Wolfenstein II and Super Mario Odyssey.

Best. Weekend. For. Games. Ever! :D

Carfax likes this.
  8. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    don't trust benchmarks ?

9. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    ryzen 1600 + 16gb +rx580 4gb / high - medium settings 40-60 fps , the problem is on some points of the maps the fps stuck to 40-42 fps .

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Alexandria, where I did most of my missions yesterday, was running at 37-55 fps almost constantly on maxed out settings on my GTX 1080 Ti with CPU usage hitting 100% at the lowest framerates. Not really sure quite what is going on there as some of the low framerates were taking place in enclosed areas or places devoid of the usual A.I. crowd clutter. G-SYNC thankfully made the experience playable but nevertheless when the game hit 60-110 fps I could certainly tell. Hopefully future game patches and driver updates will improve the performance but even if they don't then I can't say that I'll be disappointed as visually this game is stunning. Sure, if you look too closely then you can see the cracks - less detailed NPCs, pop in and animals switching from weird 2D sprites to 3D ones as you get near them (alas, this is done way *too* close and is rather obvious IMO), etc - but overall the graphics are richly detailed and impressive as a whole.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The benchmark is silly as even on my GTX 1080 Ti at 2560x1440 and maxed out settings I got an overall Performance rating of Low even though the framerate averaged around 60 (it might have been a bit higher).

Would have made more sense if the benchmark assigned the Low setting to sub-30 fps averages, Medium to 30-60 fps and High to 60+ fps since the engine is targeted at 30 fps on the consoles, even the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X!

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ubisoft acknowledged DirectX 12 for Anvil Next but this game was probably too far in development to be more than a quick conversion to DX12 although it's interesting that there doesn't seem to be any major GameWorks features touted about this time, granted PCSS Ultra and HBAO+ Ultra on AC Syndicate completely tanks performance. (Ran through AC Unity and AC Syndicate again a few months ago, Unity is better but a bit rough even after patches, Syndicate well it runs better but those two options in particular need to be off unless you have a really high-end GPU.)

I am very impressed with how quickly this game loads and how well it runs, it's not 60 FPS of course not with this hardware but it's better than many of the previous games in the series (Wonder how Black Flag or AC3 would do on this system, probably not too different from the previous 290X GPU I had then.) while also being completely stable and compared to other Anvil Next games it uses a lot less VRAM although texture quality is a bit rougher and LOD is well it could be worse but unlike say Wildlands the game world has a lot of objects strewn about and several larger architectural objects and landmarks that can be seen from a very long distance so it's a balance act though a ultra quality texture pack could work for 8 GB GPU systems. :)
    (At least the transitions are less noticeable, Unity was bad, really bad with this but then again AC2 and on it's always been fairly conservative with LOD and view distance.)

Far as using DirectX 12 or Vulkan in a good way, well there's not too many games using DX12 but Gears 4 stands out as a pretty good case for that API although since it doesn't have DX11 support there's no way to directly compare.
    For Vulkan DOOM and Wolfenstein New Colossus appear to run really well with that API but I'm on a AMD GPU so the results are a bit skewed since AMD has had problems with OGL performance for some time now.

Cro-Engine used by Croteam for Serious Sam Fusion (And the earlier Talos Principle.) is also using Vulkan though there's some remaining known issues and Fusion hasn't been updated in a while as they're working on some bigger updates for it now but the game is one of the few where it's also possible to swap between API's at runtime without doing a complete game restart and the developers have worked on the engine for some 20 years now almost so they know what they are doing.
    (But there's a lot of legacy bits in the engine as a result, Fusion is a pretty major overhaul also porting all their old games over to the new engine base which will also be used for Serious Sam 4 whenever that gets released.)

Even with a less experienced team (For low-level API's that is, DX12 and Vulkan being new to everyone in the industry even if Mantle allowed a few AMD partnered dev studios to get some practice with a low-level PC API.) well the game could probably see a improvement in how GPU and CPU resources are allocated though I guess brute force works too but yeah hexa cores are being put to a bit of work in Anvil Next though quad cores have it a bit rough.

Would be interesting to see this game used for performance comparisons for the newest upcoming Intel and AMD CPU's and some of the older models too, though "Big D." probably hinders things a bit due to the max allowed activation attempts per day restriction as to avoid people selling account access to others and family sharing and such although some of that is still going on since they do allow something like 5 by default for the users convenience.

That VM change is a bit problematic too if it affects the game at runtime and not just start, don't really want to hit the CPU in a already CPU bound game after all, if crack groups ever learns how to actually remove the DRM rather than feeding a activation through it and running it that way it would be fun to see some comparisons on performance for that too but it's probably down to Ubisoft patching it out entirely which I doubt will happen anytime soon.
    (It's surprisingly resilient instead of falling in a few days, guess we're seeing this thing in many newer D. protected games now if it holds.)

Carfax likes this.
  13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Alexandria is nice but so very very GPU/CPU intensive. Like you I'm playing on a 1440p screen (for now, will try 4K again this evening) to be able to run the game at Ultra settings which gives me 80-120fps depending on the scene. But when I got to Alexandria I saw the FPS go down to the 60s it's no longer an enjoyable experience. Wonder what would help lowering when in Alexandria. Perhaps Character detail an Environmental Detail?

Other than that I agree that the game is an absolute blast to play! The side quests vary a lot so far, the combat is great once (you get used to it) and the environments are truly amazing.

Bu the way, is there really a point in upgrading weapons? I bought one Ubi Club weapon thinking it would be really good and it is fairly great, though slightly expensive to upgrade. I also found a Legendary Bow by chance but unfortunately it has low base damage so I cannot oneshot enemies.

14. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Altering with multiple graphical settings does nothing in terms of cpu usage drop. Game has a serious problem with this cpu hammering. Needs a patch or two. Hope they fix this.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I believe the Upgrade system allows you to bring up your weapon to your current character's level so that you aren't having to give them up just because they are no longer effective against higher level enemies. At least that is my understanding of it.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've been reading that this game uses two DRMs: Denuvo and VMProtect and that these may be causing the 100% CPU load across all 8-threads that I'm seeing in this game (which combined with 97-99% GPU usage results in the 35-55 fps framerates I am getting in Alexandria).

Is this true?

The 100% CPU usage issue does look a bug as I have never come across ANY other game that stresses all cores like this game does. It's either the best CPU optimised game ever or... it's not and it's a bug! :D

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Denuvo always used a form of VMProtect but for this game it appears this is then wrapped in an additional virtual machine for extra protection.

It's working as so far as to make the game remain uncracked but it could potentially affect CPU performance depending on how this is configured and running, if it's primarily during the license check and verification as the game is booted that's not too bad but if it's constantly running it could affect CPU performance particularly in a game like this which can utilize 6+ cores and actually benefits from doing so. :)

Far as comparing goes well besides the few cases where Denuvo was patched out entirely the crack if you can call it that mostly just bypasses the DRM and feeds it a activation letting the game be played but it's not the same as stripping out the DRM entirely so I wonder if it would affect performance at all.
    (Far as I'm aware on how this worked at least, not too many newer protections being actually removed these days rather than emulated or worked around.)

Really doubt Ubisoft is just going to ship a unprotected exe though, perhaps later on as the game moves away from active development and continued content releases but even then as long as the server is still working they don't have to remove the protection so it could remain for a lot longer, just have to wait and see what happens.

18. MrIGM

MrIGM Guest

GPU:
    CZXZXC
    No, only shitty optimized games use 100% of your cpu.
    good games use 100% of gpu and about 50% of your cpu. because it shouldnt need more power with the amount of power ur GPU can provide if utilized.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm simply trying to understand if it's necessary to do this or not but I don't know what to spend Drachma on apart from outfits.

I'm wondering if it's really like this since I remember that Unity also ran at 100% on i5 and close to 100% on i7. Perhaps this was the case with Syndicate as well?

Regarding CPU load I'll try once more to play the game in 4K and will check CPU load (which I remember being lower than at 1440p). I'll post pics for those interested.

20. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    So if I get this right even if i get a 7700k at 4.8ghz I will get the same scenario? I mean the hyperthreading will get me say extra 10fps?