Watch_Dogs Material Hex Editing

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by mlleemiles, Oct 23, 2017.

1. mlleemiles

mlleemiles Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    What you need
    Razor's Data Conversion Utility
    A Hex Editor (Hex Workshop recommended)

Hex Editing
    Opening a material with Hex Editor, you should see a few strings at start in text view like this
    [​IMG]
    Do not edit this part

Now that you've acquired the shader for your material, go to common_unpack\engine\shader\materialdescriptors and find the corresponding xml. In my case, the shader is Character, which means that we need to view Character.xml in that folder.

Scroll down and find
    [​IMG]
    Copy one of the parameter names to Razor tool's input, convert String to CRC32, then copy the output and paste to input, convert BinHex to CRC32 to get final result. Sometimes a material can refer to Generic.xml as well.

Now copy the result and search it in Hex Editor a part of the data following it is value. For example down below, I've got RimLightPower and the value is
    [​IMG]
    Value type 01 = Float

Keep in mind that the type can sometimes be 4 bytes and sometimes 3 depending on last value type.

Use base converter from Hex Workshop allows us to convert values to float and other type and edit the material.

That's all for now. It's really a hell of work at the current state. I wish someone would make a proper tool for WD material.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017