2017 Upgrade Path - What device are you upgrading to in 2017 ?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by chispy, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Bit the bullit today and bought a 8+ today. Not interested in the 10.

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    iPhone 5s to iPhone 8 :D No interest in the X either.

3. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Anything with a quad-core for less than $99.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok so I saw Nokia7 now,

https://m.gsmarena.com/nokia_7-8907.php

And it looks great, best nokia so far and its 141mm size looks perfect.

[​IMG]

Think I get this then or maaybe galaxy A3 2018, A5 2018 is too big.. or s8mini if it ever sees the light.

Mr.Bigtime likes this.

5. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    IntelĀ® HD Graphics
    Nice that they've finally moved the fingerprint to the back. Now they just need a high end version like that and waterproof and stereo.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The only phones that've even given me any interest in "upgrading" have been the Google One Moto X4 and the iPhone 8..... Unfortunately the iPhone 8 doesn't work on Project Fi so it's really not an option and I don't see where there's a benefit to the Moto X4 over my Nexus 6P. Maybe something will come up next year that is more enticing...

7. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Been using my new moto x4 for a little while now, very happy with it. Battery life is excellent, I can usually get 2+ days out of it if I forget to plug it in. Got a 64GB microSD for $23 and a cheap case and it has a headphone jack lol, suck it pixel 2. I'm not sold on the dual/wide angle camera honestly but it does the job fine. I think I prefer my old galaxy s4's camera to anything I've had since. Still waiting to hear back on my trade-in of my older nexus 5x, but if the estimate they gave me is accurate then the overall cost of this new phone should end up less than $250 which is a steal.

*Edit they finally processed the trade-in (only a month late) and they took off a little over $30 for 'Damaged Screen', which is bullshit. I mean there were problems, the headphone jack had a broken-off 8mm stuck in it and there were some scratches on the plastic case but the screen was perfectly fine. There's really no option to contest or anything apart from telling them to send it back for no refund. I'm glad I did it because hey $80, and it's possible it got damaged in shipping but otherwise pretty weak to subtract money and lie about why.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    New 5.5" Galaxy A5 2018 will be named A8 2018 and the bigger 6" A8+ 2018.

Looks like Nokia will follow S8 bezel with Nokia6 2018 model as well. Shame there is no news about Nokia7 refresh.

Guess I'll wait for A8 2018 then, should be released very soon now, hopefully that 5.5" translates into max 145mm..

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I upgraded from Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra to Sony Xperia XZ Premium. This this is a beast in every possible way, well worth the money.

Also fastest phone there is, even faster than iphone X and puts it to shame.

10. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Maybe some of you will choose older platforms,as a tip: choose phones with 10-14 nm SoC. :)
    Much better for the battery life,because newer SoC will consume less power.

(The Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 Mobile Platform is the first SOC from Snapdragon 600 tier which is manufactured using the 14 nm FinFET manufacturing process and this leads to
    35% less power consumption when compared to the Snapdragon 617 processor.)

Snapdragon 835 ( or the Snapdragon 845 was announced on 7 December 2017)
    The Snapdragon 835 was announced on 17 November 2016.
    Notable features over its predecessor (821): 10 nm FinFET process

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Qualcomm_Snapdragon_systems-on-chip

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The year is almost over. Two upgrades this year:

New monitor. One of those 27" 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync ones (XG2703-GS.)
    New speakers. Edifier S1000DB. My neighbors are not happy :p

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've managed to hold onto my buggy as hell N6P this long. Maybe it'll make it another year without me smashing it. Had to replace the glass lens over the camera a few months back. Not a big deal. It's just held on with adhesive. Very simple to replace. I'm still eyeing that iPhone8 though, or to be more accurate, the iPhone8 Plus. Can't do 4.7" screens. Too bad it'll never work on Project Fi cuz I'd be all over it then. I've actually grown to hate my N6P over the last year. Between apps crashing constantly, the excessive battery drain, the constant reboots..... It's become barely usable half the time.