Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. Hello Agent-A01 Thanks, but i had that already in bios and Windows, was trying to try other values, but is the same thing, u.u

2. dubstep

dubstep Guest

GPU:
    6GB
    Hello!
    How can I set msi and limit?
    My pc:
    cpu: AMD Athlon II 640 X4
    gpu: GeForce GT 710
    motheboard: Foxconn a76gmv
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    USB1/2 controllers, which is everything there listed as standard enhanced/openhcd USB controllers do not support MSI mode.

SB audio cards usually don't work in MSI mode either; the ones that are using PCI slot will never work in MSI mode.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Strange that Nvidia card has not switched to MSI mode.

But have you rebooted your rig after applying changes in that tool?

Btw, have you installed AMD chipset drivers?

5. dubstep

dubstep Guest

GPU:
    6GB
    But have you rebooted your rig after applying changes in that tool?

Yes, I rebooted after applying.

Btw, have you installed AMD chipset drivers?

Yes i installed all needed drivers.

6. MKVII

MKVII Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    IN-COMING...sorry
    Honestly i edited it down alot..lol

So i came across this thread randomly, while reading up on usb and such, and i decided to try and put my 1070 in MSI mode. Less IRQ sharing in general is good, and everything helps the whole somewhat i say.

So there was no perceivable difference in general, with video, nor in the programs i test my mouse polling and various performance ( this whole thing was round about my mouse performance, as an aside).

So i came back to keep further reading the posts in this thread and decided to go ahead and with the MSI utility enable MSI mode on as many things as were sharing IRQ. Mainly PCI root port. I was a bit afraid to mess with SATA i don't want to do anything that would compromise my data or drives, especially since i just put a brand new one in. I thought i did check the SATA actually, but maybe it didn't stick. But at any rate for now this is where i'm at.
    [​IMG]

Also i must add, Before this the other day i did other things like unpark my CPU cores and made sure my System timer was set at 0.5, Though the information on this is mostly that it should just be left alone and let Windows manage it and do what it needs to do. I never bothered with it. But you know how it goes, just trying stuff out.

So I noticed nothing in general between setting the timer and unparking my cores, though it may have shaved some off the latencymon test, but nothing huge where i said ok that's huge.

HOWEVER. After putting the PCI root ports on MSI mode and effectively making all IRQ independent except for SATA. Man, For sure i notice something with overall system snappiness.

First off i still use HDD's. I've not jumped on the SSD bandwagon, and until 2TB minimum is about 150 bucks...yeah..

But man, for sure my pc booted very noticeably faster. Just from cold boot to Windows Login BAM. Then after initial load the small things still faster overall.
    Yes it was noticeable, not that i really care how long it takes to boot really.

But then i started up Firefox. No exaggeration i always have about 150-180 tabs cued at all times. I have it set that they do not "load" until you click on them, but it still makes it take a bit of time to load up initially, and to fully load the currently open page. No big deal, it's just that initial load and my browser is always open thereafter anyway.

Well BAM. Hugely noticeable. That thing loaded up chop chop. And not only that but load a page in general seems so much faster.

Now. One could chalk this up to having just rebooted. But honestly no, there is a definite difference from a previous normal reboot to opening Firefox which is usually the first thing i do when i reboot my system. Of course should never jump to the gun. But i mean after 4 years this thing never loaded so fast with that many tabs, even since switching to 64bit Firefox.

So i don't know. It seems that maybe it was not doing the MSI thing alone but perhaps all things i recently did together that added up to this point. Though nothing on it's own felt like it did much. Whatever. I'm feeling like it's a noticeable difference.

So then i decided to run Latencymon.

So first this was my latencymon result from a year ago, after i install the Nvidia hotfix driver for Pascal latency issue, and update my Realtek sound driver. Not great, but it was much better. I would see people with much lower latencies and it kind of irked me a little.
    I didn't run it very long, i saw all i needed to see.
    [​IMG]

And here is my Test Today after doing all the above things combined. Nvidia driver crept in on this one. Usually it's just ataport.sys, or perhaps network, but i am not cherry picking results. This just happen to be the first time i saw Nvidia driver in along time, but i think it's mostly trivial..
    [​IMG]

I'll give it a few days of gaming and general usage, using some heavy programs and such that i use all the time and see how much more i notice or do not notice.

Anyway. Thanks for the post, links and Infos.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Then you can uncheck all devices which refused to switch to MSI mode and apply.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I see that most probably you are not on Win10. For SATA you just need a proper driver - search or ask here
    http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-newest-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html
    After installation of proper SATA driver your SATA controller will switch to MSI mode (because Intel utilizes it in its SATA drivers).

As for Latencymon, only "Highest reported ISR routine execution time" parameter is affected by MSI/Legacy mode. And overall Latencymon was created specially for purposes of professional audio on PC. You can simply ignore "Curent/Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency" and "Highest reported hard page fault resolution time" parameters.

Unparking the CPU cores is correct move. This parking thing was introduced namely for servers with tens of cores.
    And system timer resolution is a test and decide thing. I only use it for troubleshooting purposes (and found a game which is cured by maximum resolution).

PS And be aware that every NVidia driver installation reverts back to Legacy mode.

9. MKVII

MKVII Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    Thanks. Yeah when i built this PC i just used IDE mode. I either didn't fully understand AHCI, and wasn't interested in Raid. I've always backed up important things manually, and gotten pretty good at it, and it seems less prone to disaster. :D But when i built this machine i was also using my old PC's HD from like 2006/2007 then as a backup drive, and i was only SATA 3Gb/s, as well as my DVD rom Burner, which i still have installed :p It could the ataport.sys be that? Though it not like it is in use, anyway so i just went with IDE.

Actually i just retired that old hard drive about 2 months ago. It was still was going strong and showed as healthy after 10 years of constant usage. Samsung Spinpoint.

Anyway my transfer speeds match what the drives are basically rated at, so i'm not going to muck around with that. It's served me well and i plan to be upgrading in a manner of months anyway so i'll just let this one live out its days as is.

Yeah it might have been a combination of all the things, maybe uparking the cores actually helped. But i seriously didn't notice the improvement until i put the rest of the things in MSI mode.

I have since loaded up programs that i use a lot, and game engines that would normally take some time to load, i would say the main thing is it is just feels snappier overall. Click on something and it pops up instantly. Seems like that would be from unparking the cores? Anyway, this is just a nice little extra something for free. Mouse feels snappier as well. Almost felt like i upped the dpi. Sometimes that can be placebo, but i don't think so in this case.

Thanks again

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I can assure you that SATA controller in AHCI mode works faster then in legacy IDE mode. But you can`t switch it in BIOS without preparations in OS.
    And AHCI doesn`t mean RAID.

11. MKVII

MKVII Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    I understand that AHCI doesn't mean Raid. But the link you provided was for AHCI and Raid drivers combined it looks like? I never installed Raid drivers on this system either since i wasn't going to use it. So i was just commenting on that in general. Still i hit 150MB max transfer speeds across my drives, which is around what they are rated at, and comparing to others system tests with similar drives. So it's good enough. I load into games mere seconds after people i know that use SSD. I use one WD Raptor 10krpm and one Toshiba 7200rpm X300 4Tb. It's more that i'm just not interested to bother with that at this point in this PC's lifecycle, and cause potential issues or no boot and have to change it back anyway or whatever. I read enough posts with complaints or issues with it in Win 7 that it is just not worth a hassle. Might be great and work flawless, i just don't care. On my next build i will be optimizing all that stuff to the hilt from the get go.
    Thanks Again.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    It's not a combined raid driver, don't think you are understanding that the driver files include raid and ahci support.
    Updating from default microsoft to intel drivers are not going to make your PC not boot.

Use SDI driver installer to safely update all your drivers if you are 'afraid' to do so.

13. MKVII

MKVII Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    I guess not, because i didn't bother reading into it. I clicked the link provided out of interest and a quick glance revealed i been there before and said nah i don't need this. But when something matters to me and i need to understand fully i will.

The point of the matter here, was i'm not interested in switching to AHCI mode, and i'm already using Intel Drivers since day one.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It can be that in IDE mode Intel drivers are not used (but MS ones are). You can check in Device manager. But your approach is understandable - if all works without hiccups, then you can ignore difference between IDE and AHCI.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I set my motherboard's realtek sound chip to MSI mode via the tool and I noticed I would get loud pop sounds from my speakers every now and then and especially while using aimp. I set it back to its default and everything works okay now. I'm using a fairly recent driver, didn't expect any issues tbh. It worked okay with an older driver.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It seems to me that the qualification of system developers in OEM companies as well as in Microsoft is declining.

17. SalmanSH

SalmanSH Guest

GPU:
    AMD 8570D
    Hi
    thanks for thread
    How can I set msi and limit?
    cpu : AMD A8-6500
    gpu : 8570D
    Mainbord : MSI A68HM-E33 V2
    [​IMG]

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

Is that picture from first run of utility without you touching anything? Or you already changed something?
    You can uncheck all "... USB Host Controller" devices because only USB 3 controllers work in MSI mode.
    Do not touch the limit values.
    What OS you use?

SalmanSH likes this.
  19. SalmanSH

SalmanSH Guest

GPU:
    AMD 8570D
    Yes i have changed it
    Win 7

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you rebooted computer after you`ve changed settings? If not then reboot and take new screenshot in utility.

SalmanSH likes this.