Microsoft adds TruePlay option to catch cheaters on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Of course it's just MS store games, as that is what the article states lol.

Does stuff like VAC etc... work though, as all i still hear people complaining about cheating, i've even saw people with multiple platforms pick the console version over the PC version.

That suggests to me the problem still exists.

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    LOL my bad. I stand very corrected. Way to go me for not reading the article carefully.

Redemption80 likes this.
  3. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    I am a (single player only) game cheater. I have been using trainers for many years, and it makes my gaming experience much more enjoyable. I have not, nor will I ever use cheats in a multi player or co-op game environment. But as I said, trainers make my gaming experience much more enjoyable, and here's why; I really enjoy looking closely at a game's artwork, and this includes textures, 3D models and other in-game assets. As many of you know, many hours are spent by a game's development team to create the look and feel of the game they release.

So needless to say, I really hope this anti cheating addition won't disturb my usual single player gaming practice.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  4. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    I can see this to be implemented to protect game company's precious microtransactions fuckery in single player.

5. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    i'm affraid it will be in weird way with countless patches,workarounds and then we'll get semi legal statement from MS that the programm halt or whatever they say the kind of that stuff.Personally i got more troubles than bonus from Creator update and that kinds of news make me more pessimistic and sarcastic about MS. Anyway let's see how it'll work and mainly, how long it'll take time to stop it. I think it is time to have a rest for Billy. Maybe it is time to think of eternal life or The Universe or so on....

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Cheaters are annoying, but seem fairly rare. I think you have to be a certain kind of special to be a cheater, so perhaps there's only so many. The reason I don't play online much anymore is a-holes. It includes the cheaters, but I hate people who act like d-bags online, and there seems to be no shortage of those tools. We could go down the list of stuff I'm referring to, but I'm sure if you've ever gamed online, you know what I mean. If they could fix that (impossible, humans just suck), we'd be getting somewhere.

This idea seems like good intentions but ultimately non cheaters will suffer somehow and the cheaters will bypass this. Then there's the subtle big brother aspect. What a win-win for the non cheating gamer. *eyeroll*

7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I think many (most) of us are in this same camp. Do what you want in SP, it's your game to enjoy, but MP is for all to enjoy, so a level field is critical.

From what I read, this isn't supposed to affect SP so tinkerers should still be fine. This is supposed to be about MP only. We'll see.

8. EJocys

EJocys Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    Do you know what is the main goal of the cheater? It is not getting caught while stealing victories from other players. Long time ago I tried to determine percentage of cheaters in FPS multiplayer games. Some cheating sites made it easy by bragging about hundreds of thousands sold cheats. Anti-cheat sites also publish some numbers. I did some simple math and resulting number was that 1 out of 8 players in FPS (COD, BF, ...) multiplayer use cheats. Most cheaters look like normal players, because good undetectable cheat program is what gives most profit. For every obvious rare cheater there are hundreds of sneaky ones. Cheaters can be even famous players. Even world TOP players at highest level were caught cheating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stripped_Olympic_medals

P.S: 34 countries out of 206 cheated in Olympic games. Now, think about market full of teenagers with social skills and moral values still forming. Good anti-cheat system is like police in society, it is necessary for fair and healthy society. Online multi-player gamer must get player wide ban. If cheater is caught then cheater must be banned from all official multiplayer games. Maybe, for 3 months. That term could double with every repeated offence. 10 offences would mean permanent ban for life.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  9. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    M$oft being the biggest cheater of them all...

10. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    very good news.Now hackers will detect more easily and get banned.Wall hack and Aim bots ruined all FPS games

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I would prefer to see Microsoft to working to a per-app hypervisior blackboxing instancing (Yes, I know it would requires tons of work and probably break any device without capable drivers)...

12. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    I dont care how it's done. Catch them and ban them all. Blow their computers up if possible.

airbud7 and HonoredShadow like this.
  13. ChicagoDave

ChicagoDave Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 / EVGA 970
    Sounds good to me. I use cheats/trainers on some single player games if I find some part of the game annoying or too time consuming. Or if I just want to see what happens if I do Y instead of X. I'm pretty sure no studios are going to care about single player cheating unless they are heavily relying on micro transactions (especially free to play games).

For multiplayer, any and all help in stopping cheating is welcome. While I rarely play multiplayer modes/games, the few that I do are constantly being screwed with.

Microsoft is smart to offer this service - they'll be able to detect things that games/Steam/Uplay/etc can't. Essentially they should have the game run in its own sandbox or VM like modern web browsers. Completely restrict access to the memory occupied by the game and watch for any process attempting to view or inject data into memory. Plus I imagine it'd be easy for the OS to detect things like aimbots that scan the video output and detect certain color/shape patterns; again just watch for any processes that are trying to access the video output, or processes that are causing keyboard key presses or mouse movement. While you're playing a flagged game, the OS should lock out anything else from registering key presses, mouse clicks or movements.

All in all seems like the OS is perfectly positioned to catch cheats as well as simply lock out other programs from accessing memory or video, or registering inputs.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Now if the video card driver had cheating detection.

15. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    To be said, i don´t like cheaters.

I´m sure it is alot more convenient for 3rd party to do all the hassle of tracking and logging to find cheaters,
    rather than a dev would do it.

But as said, what if your just using legit mods, trick for solo game play, etc...
    And as Hilbert mentioned, What else is MS tracking with that program?

Is it just a excuse, so ppl can´t turn that program off, while we all disable everything that MS tracks,
    but with this, they found a way to go around it?

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    So you suggest to increase latency by changing from UDP to TCP?
    You should read a bit about packet headers and how they do affect real-time game-play before accusing developers of being anything.
    Besides that, encrypted authentication is not enough, there is more to local data than just that.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    While i am all in to perish cheating from online games , i can not shake the feeling that this can back fire big time, if i have to make a prediction would be that eventually cheaters will crack it or fool it or bypass it and cheat to their hearts content , while it will give false alamsnin cases ending punishing users that it should not, i hope i am wrong

18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It is left to developers to use or not the new "TruePlay" APIs as any other "anti-cheating" services around the world. At least looks like that "TruePlay" can be easily toggled compared to other anti-cheating systems.

19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Also, if you implement an OS-level anticheat system, the worst thing you can do is advertise the fact that it exists publicly. Now hackers know to look for it and defeat it.

20. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    It's a pretty simple solution: If you don't like it, don't buy games that support it. Microsoft has had to abandon plenty of stupid ideas due to lack of consumer interest, and this could well be one of those.