Microsoft adds TruePlay option to catch cheaters on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Quality posts incoming... :rolleyes:

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If it's mandatory for it to be enabled to be able to access the MP portion of the game then I think it's a good idea.
    Sure... there might be some performance hit, but unless your are cheating then that is better than having to deal with the cheats.

I rarely play MP games so my experience is limited, but I also still see a lot of complaints about cheating so I don't know how effective any of the current solutions are.

Do people just hold the view that it's similar to DRM in that there will always be people who circumvent it, so just don't bother with anti cheat solutions as they are a waste of dev resources and increase the chance of performance/stability issues in the games?

4. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I am really guessing this is really all about the close integration of XBOX into the Windows 10 eco system vs outside games. But I realize, can be utilized by non Xbox developers and games.

5. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I don't cheat don't mod games so I really don't mind this, for me I really hope it works and they get rid of the cheaters.
    I sometimes wonder if games should have a cheat mode which separates them from none cheaters so that the cheaters could play and mod together.

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Oh ok then thanks for the insight. The only multiplayer game that I play is Diablo 3 not sure if Blizzard would even want to use it for their games since they have their ways of doing things. Plus there might be some game devs that might not be interested in MS's help so they wont use it. Plus this might not apply to games that have been released for years and still have servers for online play. So you are correct in saying that its up to the game dev at the end of the day. Plus some game Devs offer ways to show proof of cheating by the users themselves so to me this anti-cheat tool by MS is useless but only time will tell that I am wrong.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Are there not a good amount of cheaters who only do it to cause carnage and ruin games? They would no doubt shun the cheaters only games completely.

Also, I see it a bit like having a sports organisation where no one is drug tested, some would join but there would still be a lot who would want that extra advantage and would rather continue subtly cheating.

8. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I always had the suspicion this was the very reason that "private" browsing functionality was added to browsers... to remove the need to also look through and log all the normal internet traffic... now users explicitly tell them exactly what they don't want them to know... which makes it all the more interesting to them ;)

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I enabled it a bit and there was nothing out of ordinary. Its off again though..

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  10. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    I think this is stupid in a lot of ways but the main reason being.... it's not an OS job to catch cheaters.....
    Having this feature at the OS lvl is "overkill" and completely inappropriate as your OS would be working against u (if u were a cheater)... ? and to be really useful to devs without a ton of false positives, it should be extremely configurable for each game... and we know "configurable" and "MicroSoft" don't belong to the same sentence :p

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I have a crazy thought do server side auth with encrypted communications and 99% of cheats are over. When you patch the game change the salt on the encryption key. Lazy arse game developers.

Prince Valiant likes this.
  12. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Sorry but after being falsely accused in 3 different games in past 15 years I am VERY DISTRUSTFULL to any kind of anticheat that can have false positives because in majority situation you need to invest a lot of time and/or cost to convince otherwise.
    In majority titles especialy asian origin you just get plainly banned without even providing any proof.

Not that I am against anticheats, especialy in multiplayer titles, but it STINKS to be in that 0.1-1% that get burned.

13. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    That's my take on it. Players are too accusation happy these days though. If you've got proof it's one thing but if not I think it's as bad as actual cheaters. Possibly worse since they're damaging someone's reputation and their account without stopping to think about it.

Agreed.

The line of thinking is probably something like this: Why do server side anti-cheat when we can give players a placebo and collect data at the same time?

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I prefer it when games have strict anti-cheat systems, but also gives you servers that are "play at your own risk". That way, cheaters get to do whatever they want without ruining everyone else's experience.

Cheaters are like pirates: it doesn't matter how much you hate them or how much they're ruining things for everyone else, they're always going to be there. They're also similar in the sense that the companies want to eliminate them, but as a result, they often end up punishing the honest customers, and the cheaters/pirates end up winning. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, the only way to get rid of them is to make it easier for them to do what they want. Don't use layers of DRMs. Don't use heavy encryption. Give the players a server for them to be reckless. I know of people who pirate media because it's a more convenient experience. Cheaters cheat because they want to take the easy way out and get all the perks without any of the effort (after all, how is cheating fun when the computer does all the work?). When you have both cheat-allowed servers and anti-cheat servers, the cheaters aren't going to waste their time playing in the anti-cheat servers if it means getting serious penalties; they'd rather play in a place where they can do whatever they want consequence-free. As a result, the honest players get what they want and nobody should rightfully be able to cry wolf every time they lose.

15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Anything to catch cheaters, but what's stopping them from collecting additional data?

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this is just plain creepy. i dislike cheaters as much as the next guy...somehow i don't think this will stop bot-play, gold mining, or account hacking.
    so by giving a vague definition of cheating, it allows for a more aggressive sampling of data.

btw... there is no such thing as "too much data"...i live near at least six very large multi-billion dollar companies that all they do is data mine. and sell software/services to the NSA as well.

and the biggest data miner of them all is Google.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not only that. That end users like ourselves who live stream and record game play footage can help catch cheaters as well because game devs welcome the help of their users of their online service to help report cheaters and use the clip in the form of a video or still shot as evidence. Plus at the end of the day its up to the game dev to accept MS's help or not to catch cheaters. Plus alot of false positives would be useless and game devs do not have the time to sort through all of that data any way.

18. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    It's only for MS store games. If MS wants to have something like VAC everyone acts worried about privacy. All anti-cheat systems scan your computer and none of them can stop everything. MS doesn't need to announce new features to add more spying capabilities - they can do that at will, and don't need to announce it to the world or ask for permission. The idea that MS is trying to "sneak in" more data collection doesn't make sense.

Fender178 and Redemption80 like this.
  19. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Yea, I hate cheaters. Especially those with better rigs than mine that get better performance/game play.
    And I'm sure the cheaters won't be able to circumvent it...in about a day!
    Total waste of time/money imo.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    OK if its for MS games only then we have really nothing to worry about since most of us do not purchase games from the MS store. As I said before game devs and Steam have their own version of anti-cheat scanners such as VAC.

RzrTrek likes this.