2017 LG OLED TVs 1st to offer Dolby TrueHD Lossless Sound

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Alexandrus

Alexandrus Guest

GPU:
    UHD630
    Lesless sound, trolololol, this is new.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Seems a waste the TV supporting lossless sound. Audiophiles have 10.2 systems bi-amped and would never use TV speakers.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I think it extends a little beyond the TV speakers - e.g. being their smart tv function supporting say video playback with Dolby True HD / Atmos. E.g. if their TV can process signals with lossless HD audio over multiple channels, they can do a signal pass-through over HDMI-ARC and thus feed receiver / soundbars HD audio / HQ / multi-channel True HD and Atmos signals. I know I'd like that :)

alanm likes this.

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    If the audio stream is pass through (send bits as they are AKA bitstream) to a AV receiver over HDMI the TV doesn't need to be able to process the audio streams because...it doesn't process (alter) them at all.

Loophole35 and Noisiv like this.
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yep, first thing that occurred to me. Anyone interested in the Dolby True HD/Atmos functionality will certainly not be playing it through the TV speakers.

7. dfsdfs1112

dfsdfs1112 Member Guru

GPU:
    2060 SUPER
    I did not understand the article
    If I have a LG B7 from 2017
    How do I transfer the sound to the AVR?

After all, the TV has only SPDIF output
    Where does lossless and uncompressed audio format come from?

What happens if I connect from my HDMI computer directly to the AVR?
    And HDMI to the screen?
    Will Atmos within the TrueHD sound less good?

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    HDMI-ARC. Although that seems quite a big task for its also of carrying the video signal.

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/lg-oled-b7-oled55b7v

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I believe it's HDMI Input 2 on the B7 (that's what it is on my C7), is ARC enabled. You need to go into the TV settings and enable it as well. Your , although most modern receivers/soundbars/etc support it. Depending on the receiver you might have to enable it in the settings there as well (I did with my Marantz).

11. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    SPDIF isn't compatible with newer HD surround technology. You should use HDMI if it's supported on your AV amp.

12. Razoola

Razoola Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 (MSI gaming)
    Its a pity they do not sort out the terrible lip synce issues that happen on both the 2016 and 2017 range of LG OLEDs when using the TV's internal apps (iplayer, youtube, netflix etc). Its no good adding stunning audio if you can't correctly sync it to video LG!!!

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    One: I do not have this issue, and i have a OLED65B7A

Two: Even if this is an issue on some, LG has a very nice and easy to tweak sound delay option to fix it.
    http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1399374324873-audio-out-of-sync

14. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Why would you EVER use a Television's speakers over a decent home theatre setup? If you can afford one of these brand spanking new OLEDs, I suspect you can afford a decent receiver and speakers. I don't care how good the sound is on these things, it's not going to hold a candle to good speakers.

15. Dwwolf

Dwwolf Guest

GPU:
    R380X
    Because some people care more about the visual aspect of their home installations than any percieved sound quality advantages?

16. dfsdfs1112

dfsdfs1112 Member Guru

GPU:
    2060 SUPER
    HDMI-ARC-
    1. I can connect HDMI to a TV with Dolby TrueHD via HDMI 1/3/4 on the screen.
    2. and FROM HDMI 2 in the tv to the access HDMI in AVR to listen Dolby TrueHD ???
    I understand it right ?

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ...percieved?

Like, i understand when people say they don't need a soundcard.

But, perceived sound quality advantages?......from built in TV speakers, to a soundbar/sound system?

What?....perceived?

These are facts. Though some of LGs built in speakers are actually nice, considering instead of just slapping speakers on it, they essentially attach a soundbar onto it, there is nothing "perceived" about the sound quality differences between a soundsystem/soundbar vs a TV, TVs with soundbars attached aside.

[​IMG]

^ Decent sound on a TV, because as you can see, it essentially has a sound bar attached. That's what that bottom portion. The negatives to this is, many people find that to be a dated look, and there is no subwoofer.

[​IMG]

^ Not even remotely good sound quality, and there is absolutely, 100% not "perception" here. You can not get even decent sound quality from a TV that has to shove any and all the sound either towards the floor, or the back wall. It's impossible. It's not a "perception". You might as well make a homemade, cardboard box speaker, as you'd get better soundquality from that.

Now, i'm not saying that someone can't be satisfied, enough, with the TV speakers. But i agree with who you replied to. Considering this is an OLED thread, the fact that you'd spend thousands of dollars on a TV, and can't be bothered to spend even $70 on a soundbar to better complete your entertainment, is just...strange.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  18. Razoola

Razoola Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 (MSI gaming)
    I wish that was the case but this is a well known long standing situation...

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-e6-lipsync-problems-in-apps-issue-thread.2084839/
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled-c7-lg-sh7b-sync-issues.2111274/

I have gone to shops myself and confirmed the issues happens on both the B7,C7 and E7 and it is impossible to fix with LG's sound delay option (because the option does not work correctly and does not allow the picture to be delayed enough. I personally have had three differen E6's and all have had this same issue and has been in Lg's hands waiting 7 months for them to fix.

You must be one of the lucky people not experiancing the problem or have a build of the OLED (panel revision) that is not affected.

19. dopus

dopus Member

GPU:
    asus gtx1070
    Is it just from netflix and other streaming apps, because if i stream mkv files to the TV video player (works great ) it does not send trueHD sound to my reciver with arc enabled, but only dolby digital. I have set my dlna server not to transcode anything, just to send the file the way it is) The tv is an LG oled55B7V.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I believe HDMI 2.1 with eARC (enhanced audio return channel) will resolve all outstanding issues that plagued the older standard. I think TVs shipped in 2018 will have it. With eARC the audio bandwidth increases from 1 Mbps to 38 Mbps (8 channels, 192 kHz, 24 bits). That will allow full lossless multi-ch audio to work properly with extra to spare for whatever future audio tech developments may occur over the years.

https://hdguru.com/hdmi-2-1-to-bring-robust-home-theater-experience/