Some system components cannot be hooked right now...

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Punkrulz, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Punkrulz

Punkrulz Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hey all,

Since the Windows build issues, I have been having problems with running my RTSS. I've gone through and downloaded the latest builds of both applications which reported to fix issues, but since doing so I now consistently get an error message saying:

Some system components cannot be hooked right now. It is strongly recommended you restart the application.

I've already made sure everything is up to date, have reinstalled several times (both AB and RTSS), and still haven't been able to find a resolution.

Any ideas?

2. p0ly

p0ly Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070Ti
    Same problem here after Windows update to 1709 Build 16299.19.
    Before absolutely no problems with AF+RTSS!

Tried to disable AV, start as admin, reinstall latest versions (AF 4.4.0.11912 b19 ; RTSS 7.0.0.14877 b30).

Any hint how to analyze this behaviour?

3. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Uninstall/reinstall AB/RTSS. Say no to saving data if upgrading. Reboot between install/uninstall.

p0ly likes this.
  4. p0ly

p0ly Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070Ti
    Ok, start from scratch *puh*

Uninstalled (also cleaned registry/files), reboot, installed AF+RTSS seperatly, reboot, works now!
    Reconfigure everything now...

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I got that message after upgrading and a reboot cleared it up.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I usually get that with every main Windows 10 OS update, checking the config files tends to see new addresses found for the DirectX related files though these can also change if one of the cumulative updates alters any of these files.

That's these things:
    [FnOffsetCache]
    [FnOffsetCache64]

Found in the "Config" file on the Profiles folder for Rivatuner.

A restart of Afterburner will usually take care of it, waiting around 5 minutes or so for everything to unhook first. :)
    Although lately I've been having some problems with ApplicationFrameHost.exe not yielding properly and occasionally Firefox.exe will not let go either, copying RTSSHooks64.dll and trying to delete it is how I've gotten around that, tells you which files/processes are currently holding the file so you can just ctrl+alt+del and shut them down, AppFrameHost just starts on it's own after some time or when you start the system settings app or any app for that matter I guess.
    (Moving back the copy after deletion is successful and nothing is accessing the file harmless and since it hasn't been mentioned it's likely a local issue somewhere on my end and for this system but worth mentioning as a way to check if the file is currently in use and what could be holding it.)

Also helps when uninstalling or re-installing MSI AB and RTSS when a updated version is released, if a file is currently in-use the installer will set up for a reboot which can be skipped by ensuring everything is fully closed first.

EDIT: And I'm blind or something since it clearly states consistent in the first post, restarting the software wouldn't clear that up if so, well unless the file was still hooked into something which from my understanding of a earlier comment from Unwinder it takes a while for Windows to unload all instances of the RTSS hook .dll files thus waiting a few minutes.
    (Or rebooting, if it still happens after that then yeah that's a different issue entirely.)

Also I forgot that Rivatuner now has a option in it's GUI to reset the cache that way too. :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  7. Punkrulz

Punkrulz Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Unfortunately I'm still having the same issue, despite additional Windows Updates, full uninstalls / reinstalls / reconfigurations of MSI Afterburner and RTSS. I'm using the latest betas as well and still am getting nowhere.

Does anyone know what I can do in order to get this rectified?

8. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Nothing but running application in antivirus sandbox can cause that. And the only solutions are already listed above.

9. Punkrulz

Punkrulz Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Unwinder, I'm not sure what you mean by that. I've attempted running this with antivrius disabled, and the only antivirus sandbox I know is Avast paid version (I have free).

I'm willing to perform more troubleshooting steps if you have any (just shy of reformatting my computer lol)

10. Dullingaah

Dullingaah Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    I found a solution for the exact same problem I had, before that I tried to reinstall everything and reboot between each step, search and clean the registry, nothing did work.

So the only thing to do, at least for me, was go to C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server and right click "RTSS.exe" click settings or properties and go to compatibility and UNCHECK "Run program in compatibility mode" or whatever it says on the english version (I'm not native english speaking). Doesn't matter which Windows version it showed before, just uncheck it.

I hope it works for you and everyone who meets this problem as easy and well as it did for me.

11. Punkrulz

Punkrulz Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Thanks Dull. Unfortunately I had never gotten a chance to try this. RTSS seemed to mysteriously begin working better after uninstalling that and MSI from my D drive and installing them on my boot drive. After that they seemed to be working fine.

I'm unsure if it has to do with the fact that the applications weren't on my boot drive (they weren't previously when it worked), or if the configuration is just so corrupt on the D drive that it works better on C. Unfortunately the folders were deleted (AFAIK) every time I uninstalled and reinstalled, so I'm not sure what would've been corrupted.

12. Ghost0s

Ghost0s Guest

GPU:
    THIS IS THE SOLUTION I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR SO FAR THANK YOU !

13. zakalwe

zakalwe Member

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290X 4GB
    Huge necro but thanks. Problem is if you are skinning 22H2 you need to run it in compat mode or the context menu tooltips etc are invisible and you can't use the editor properly. Suppose you can just keep modifying it but I keep tweaking my OSD and then forgetting etc.