[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS3 - Fall Creators Update - Build 16299.15

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Their game is obvious, hide the functional and useful settings so far out of view that people are forced to use the new crappy settings panel, another reason I stuck with RS1 (LTSB), every new release pushes the Win32 part of the OS further back, it's like they took a look at facebooks privacy settings and thought "That's how you hide settings, we'll do that!"

Same with most of the things they're doing now, locking features to certain Windows 10 releases and not others to force people to upgrade, locking games to the store etc

Thanks but no thanks

lucidus likes this.
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Why is upgrading windows a problem, and when a new android comes out its not a probem ? Menu settings are different then as well

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Windows upgrades have regularly been a problem for many, see Vista vs XP, see 8 vs 7, and now RS2/3 vs RS1

When MS make it better, it's not a problem, when they change things for the sake of changing them and essentially make things more confusing, complicated, and long winded to get to the same places as you could in less clicks before, then it becomes a problem

I love new Windows releases, I hate when they do stupid stuff like this, this app crap / XAML is functionless and annoying and just like the start screen of 8 I predict will not last forever either, not to mention they based 10 on a dead mobile platform for some obscure reason, then discontinued it

Real Windows releases last the test of time such as XP and 7, as you see they refuse to die, dumb releases like Vista and 8 die quickly

EDIT - Android releases IMO have just progressed and become better each release

lucidus likes this.
  4. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yes, people tend to have problems with upgrades. that has been there since windows 95, and not without reason i might add. usually it is because of bugs, not because of design choices.
    while some windows versions in the past were a disaster, they stepped up with windows 10, giving people pre-releases to test , and remove bugs that were found.
    needless to say there still will be bugs when upgrading from rs2 to rs3 or when people start installing drivers when windows hasnt fully updated yet.

i agree the ads is pretty annoying, thank god that can be stopped. same as privacy. but im pretty much used to it since it is there since release, and its one of the first things i do.
    The games that come with windows i just see the same as games that come with windows xp for instance. and apps, well it does have autoupdate feature, so basicly you wouldnt have to check manually.

Recently a app called paint.net also changed , and can be bought on the app store. (while free on their site). I think the program looks more slick right now and launches way faster, so thats definitily a advantage in my eyes.
    I havent bought it, since you can just download the same (non app) version on their site. but maybe i will in the future. tbh im not into those apps too much, so i just know this advantage of pre-app store and when it converted. maybe you can give me another example of this. Oh , and i do have ubuntu installed so i can use the command line for that as well. just 200 mb , and its installed. pretty cool imho.

I agree that xp and 7 will last long, but its due to people unable to adjust to a new environment. people still say vista is crap, while i strongly disagree on that. it had a rough launch, but around when sp1 was out, it was a great OS.

I feel microsoft cant do any good, and people just want to stay on a (first xp now) 7 version of windows forever without any change. personally i think we have far more options then every before in windows 10, if people just get familiar where to look.
    I do agree on the bug fixes, but they also may be there because driverr support is gone from where they bought the product. I have no problem installing windows 8 drivers btw.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Actually the ads / games / telemetry are not the main reason I won't upgrade to RS2/3, it is literally because of the design choices, apps and XAML have no place on desktop PCs, so when I am forced to piss about with them in order to finally get to the Win32 setting I want I just say no, and refuse to even play their games

And I don't believe it has anything to do with people not being able to adjust to a new environment, that's the same argument that has been repeated every single time a new OS is released that is worse than the last, and some people can't accept that it's just not liked by everyone and their dog

Considering a lot of us grew up with DOS, I'd say we have 0 problem adjusting to new environments, we just don't like dumb changes that make things worse

When it comes to designing an OS, the main thing should be making things more easily accessible in less time, and improving functionality and improving performance, Windows 10 is doing the complete opposite, they are just adding more and more bloat, removing useful features, complicating access to important settings and overall just making a complete joke out of the name "Windows", for no reason other than to push that dumb app crap they seem to think is the future on PCs

Professional used to be the SKU everyone wanted, now it's no different to Home other than GP and maybe a few different settings

I mean come on, they are bundling app games into the Enterprise SKUs too, tell me which businesses would be overjoyed to find their employees playing Candy Crush? lol Not to mention they are gonna likely be on a domain and locked from installing games anyway

The Windows team as they are right now have lost the plot, plain and simple, mucking about on social media, they've turned Windows 10 into one big piece of malware, a fresh install of 10 Pro takes forever to tame and stop bugging you with retarded popups for everything under the sun that you never needed in the first place, and stuff that you disabled in OOBE still popping up and running regardless, "Something went wrong with your default apps, so we reset them all back to our crappy ones", really? Why not just reset them back to the ones I had set in the first place?

Nope, I don't want any of it, had enough of what they're doing to 10, I`ll be sticking with LTSB 2016 for as long as possible

Blackfyre and lucidus like this.
  6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Figured out that these are indeed coming from Firefox. It isn't the "crash the entire browser with black screen" thing anymore, but rather a split second white flash that can be, and indeed was, missed by blinking at the wrong time. SFC and DISM came back clean so not much to worry about it seems.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Try changing a default app for an extension via the CP. It instead takes you to settings and you can't even browse your own PC for programs. Store only. procreating fail o/s.

Extraordinary likes this.
  8. caleb59

caleb59 Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3070 8GB
    Why I can't see Cortana button in my Settings? Also why some movie files like .mpeg, .mpg don't have thumbnails?

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Use Icaros for thumbnails. It'll generate a thumbnail for almost everything you throw at it.

http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-New-Release-3-0-2-FINAL

10. caleb59

caleb59 Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3070 8GB
    What about Cortana? I'm from Europe so maybe Cortana is disabled by default in Settings for that region?
    Or maybe I can't see it because earlier I've disabled Cortana in Creator's Update?

Is everything here normal? It looks like this:

[​IMG]

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Amen to that! Also DOS was an excellent OS, did exactly what it was meant to do, nothing more, nothing less.

Which reminds me, I used to read a PC mag called PC Format. On their editorials page a reader once wrote that his son had erased his hard drive by accident by trying to get the bundled CD to start.
    Tried all sorts of things like "start pc format", "run pc format" until he remembered a command that surely works:

format

Not sure if it ever took place, but the editor replied that they'll urgently change their name to PC Scandisk :D

Jackalito and Extraordinary like this.
  12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, it's fine. Cortana's settings are in the last button (magnifying glass).

caleb59 likes this.
  13. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    It seems that now I can select 60 hertz in games where before I could only select 59 or 59.94 hertz, after many years it seems that this solution has finally been solved.

14. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Pretty much similar reasoning to yours, and have been happily using LTSB for a long time now without issues (apart from the fact that even after enabling the Windows Store, it won't allow me to download and install Forza 7, saying I have to have CU installed).

The main worry I have is if Microsoft starts telling nVidia to stop making drivers that support Windows 10 prior to CU, and forcing people to upgrade. Even then, if there are modded drivers being made, I'll happily switch to them.

With no improvement & even more issues piling up now with RS3, there is absolutely no incentive for us to switch out of LTSB and head back 10 PRO.

Extraordinary likes this.
  15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    As long as Nvidia has corporate customers on 14393, there shouldn't be such a problem. I can't imagine game devs and other kinds of software developers not preferring a stable environment!

16. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Rumor has it....Soundblaster Z drivers are bad in RS3 (Maybe that was my problem)

Another guy told me he couldnt install Z drivers and when it did...he had unresponsive desktop/File Explorer like me..

Some little proof right here:

http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=742038

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    And you will still get the same 59.94 refresh no matter what you'll select.

Noisiv likes this.
  18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My SoundBlaster Z card is working absolutely fine in v1709 build 16299.19 as it was in the previous v1703. Didn't have to reinstall the drivers or anything. The only thing I did have to do was change the default audio device to the Z as NVIDIA driver installs have an annoying habit of switching it to the monitor audio (even though it is disabled all the time). I really wish NVIDIA would fix this.

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  19. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Well concidering the fact that games (patience, minesweeper,hearts, and the other game which i cant remember lol) came with windows since NT , i find it pretty normal.
    Is it counterproctive. yes! but it is up to the IT manager to setup the device for the enduser including software and games.
    You would be surprised btw how limited home version really is. I have it here on my uncle's tablet, and some things were just removed or were inaccesable. i felt helpless compared to the pro version.

Sounds like you have had a very troublesome experience with windows 10 though, i mean , popups , resetting of apps. i maybe have had the resetting of apps one time, but thats it. If you mean with popups, the task system like scanning for virusses, yes i get them. but normal like on the desktop popups, never seen them. first thing i do is disable uac though, but thats been the same since vista i guess.
    I havent had any weird things , only with the preview versions. but that is to be expected i guess.

I also dont have a problem with being forever to tame, in fact this is faster to tame then windows 7. Every windows release there is less things i need to do. sync features make sure of that.

Well to each their own i guess. im looking forward to RS4 already. Im glad the windows 10 team is offering previews which they didnt do prior windows 10.

20. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    The stuttering I had before the update is gone now my games are smooth like silk and I do not have to use CRU to force 60 hertz.