Need help calibrating cheap budget monitor.

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by rap1021, Oct 3, 2017.

1. rap1021

rap1021 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 8 GB OC
    Hello all,
    I just bought the LG 19m38a Monitor.
    But since 3 days i am unable to perfect the color and gamma settings.
    Can anyone help me calibrate it.
    Everything is at factory default.
    It has 4 gamma modes but no manual control.
    Factory default settings are
    Brightness 100/100
    Contrast 70/100
    Gamma mode 1.
    Color mode - warm
    These settings are too bright and white has a yellow tint.
    And if i lower it then white becomes tinted blue.
    While watching a video in vlc black scenes are way too white.
    I used windows calibration but in that greys and the brightness contrast seems good.
    Its a big headache for me.
    Please some help me.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Unfortunately, panels aren't always the same even from the same maker. Best results come from using a hardware calibrator. I've been doing it for ages, and can do a decent job of it by hand, but I'm not there to help. :)

3. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    First off shame on your for getting a LG. Secondly, what exactly are you trying to do. The monitor should have a reset option and what not. Or go tweak the colors in nvidia panel and what not. gl

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's going to be difficult to get it right, it's a 5 ms TN panel with 1366 x 768 resolution and 600:1 native contrast. I realise it was bought on a budget, but maybe there were other options that weren't much more?

Are you connected with DVI (digital, wide plug) or D-sub (analogue, narrow plug)? Digital will be considerably better.

5. rap1021

rap1021 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 8 GB OC
    Why... what is wrong with lg

6. rap1021

rap1021 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 8 GB OC
    Its connected via d sub.. thats the only port the monitor has

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Ah okay, must be different versions available. You simply won't be able to get a high quality image.

8. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Frank speak all monitor with 1366 x 768 resolution and TN panel in market is a very very bad quality monitor. Nor-matter how you adjust it, it also look craps.

Sorry to said it won't appear miracle because it is a very low quality TN panel, a high quality TN panel already is not so good and some more this is a very low quality TN panel.

Don't bother to adjust it as how you adjust it still look suck. In future don't buy the cheapest monitor in market, if money is an issue, try the best saving more. This kind of monitor not only it look suck, it also make you headache and not good to eye (in 0% brightness still look too bright).

My company small manager also make a mistake purchase 22 units of another brand BenQ DL2020 which kind of same spec as this, all get reject and now it is a junk inside store.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I didn't even know they still made monitors with analogue only connections. I can see they didn't want to pay the HDMI royalty, but DVI is royalty free? and has either analogue plus digital or dual link digital (for higher bit than 8 and resolution than 1920x1080) so surprising it doesn't have it.

10. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    In market still have superb cheap lousy panel monitor that only have one analog D-sub input. This include 1080p resolution. It is worst than 7 years ago panel quality.

Acer (EB222Q), BenQ (DL2020), LG (19M38A) and etc still manufacture such panel.

Below is that no quality Acer EB222Q display. I shoot my friend that sell me, lucky already get full refund. I already said I need a quality IPS panel and he give me such vomit panel. This is my last time buying anything from my friend PC shop.

As you can seen it is too bright and color not constant. Terrible right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And below this is no quality panel from BenQ DL2020 my company purchase that get reject. This one I only take the box that time. The output is even worst than above panel. Washout (shall call it white out), not constant color output as well.

[​IMG]

Such quality panel do you think can calibrate? Just waste time only. The panel is still over bright (whiteout) even setting the brightness to 0%.

I never seen the LG one yet, but from price and spec I believe it is similar. All this 3 panel each cost around USD $70 only.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There's no point trying to calibrate it, there's a reason why other monitors cost a lot more :). How much are you willing to spend? The best cheap monitor available here in Australia is $109, which is around US$82. It's the Philips 19.5" 200V4QSBR. 1920x1080, LED backlight, DVI (use this) + Dsub, and very importantly, it's a MVA panel :) that has a native contrast (only go by native contrast not artificial contrast ratio's like 1,000,000:1) of 3000:1, which is really good. I haven't seen this monitor itself, but seeing as most other cheap monitors are lower resolution or TN panels with bad refresh rates (for TN that is), this monitor should be a winner in terms of small cheap budget monitors.

If you can go to a little over US$100, you could get a 24 inch (or 23.6 inch etc) monitor. Again, I would go for a VA panel like the Asus 23.6" VP247HA (has HDMI), non-PWM backlight (flicker-free, this is good), and the remaining specs are similar to the smaller Philips. Other options with basically the same specs are monitors like BenQ GW2270HM.

12. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Truly agree with what you said, by just top up slightly you can get a very decent 24" VA+ panel. Those superb cheap TN is no point do any calibration because it is too bad and calibration can't solved it even you combine together with GPU setting in windows.

One thing I need to point out is D-Sub is not that bad, it still can output similar quality compare with HDMI or DVI output up to 1080p 60hz resolution, the differences is where naked eye can't really differentiate it as long as you got a good quality D-Sub cable.

D-Sub only start unusable for now after 1080p resolution as it can't go as high as 1440p (2560x1440) resolution. A short length and good quality D-Sub cable can do up to maximum resolution of 2048x1536.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  13. Suzza

Suzza Guest

GPU:
    40GB Hard disk
    In market cheap monitors are available.You must go for DELLS2740L.I am a crazy love fan of Tv drama, that I used to watch on Pinoy show on DELLS2740L.

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU: