[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS3 - Fall Creators Update - Build 16299.15

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 16, 2017.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, my guess is that it's still nothing.

There were some very minimal gains in UWP games.

Extraordinary likes this.
  2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I am currently updated to 1709 16299.19 and I have noticed a very nice boost in games on my Ryzen 1800x, CPU usage seems more streamlined across the cores, fps dips I was getting before are basically gone now. I was getting weird stutter in CSGO, and some massive drops in Warframe. Both are totally gone now.

Maybe seen as placebo, but the drops I was getting before were pretty massive where the game would just freeze and then jump forwards and then carry on fine in Warframe, this is gone and the game it self hasn't been updated since I last tested it on previous version of windows. CPU usage was around 40% but only across 4-6 cores now its around 55% but spread across 12-14 cores/threads which is great! It seems windows scheduling has been improved for high core count CPU's.

3. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    I suspect so too. Weren't the gains pretty much within margin of error though?

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They were reproduceable so it wasn't an error. They were just rather small, in line with what a ~10-20MHz overclock would get you.

5. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    if you do not have crapware in running in the background which is easily triggarable from the OS you will never see magic improvement. game mode is for the avarage user with ton of programs running in background. moreover if the application is not recognized by the runtime you have to add it manually with the game bar and restart the game to have it enabled.

6. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Is GoW4 one of the games that should benefit from it? If so I'm gonna do some tests on my end.

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, I believe it is.

8. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    I tested GoW4 with 3 benchmark runs on each with and without Game Mode at 1440P on max settings.
    Enabled - 3 run average - 103.0 FPS
    Disabled - 3 run average - 102.6 FPS

So right now it's pretty much useless, I'll try again after doing a clean install on the new build.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Upgrade. I'm going to download and try an in place upgrade install. Doing clean installs is extremely time consuming when you have really shizzy net. No matter what you do, you still end up downloading GB for apps and games, even if installed on different drives.

10. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Thanks for the provided MCT link for RS3. Have already performed two clean upgrades.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I used MCT in the end, lol got tired of waiting. It took only 15min max to install (keep files and settings) after 1st reboot. Kind of fast, RS2 took longer.

But I got few mini glitches
    -unresponsive start menu (fix alt+f4, log off, login again)
    -xbox live app stopped responding, had to uninstall and reinstall again

I reinstalled gpu driver just in case, audio xfi DanielK suite works fine - it defaulted to entertainment like by fresh install.

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This seems to be due to a weird X-Fi installation path as Windows installs three drivers in a row with each next reboot. The middle one somehow affects Start menu.

13. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    So the official final FCU build is 16299.15? Does it later update to .19 or is 16299.19 still an insider build?

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I don't have X-Fi and I've seen that on 3 systems.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    .15 is RTM, .19 will be installed by Windows Update on the first updates check.

Huh, weird, well, maybe it's no related then.

Vidik likes this.

16. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Thanks!

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Seems like 1709 fixed that annoying issue with windows forgetting their sizes if you've changed a display configuration (disconnected one display, for example) while a window was maximized on another display. On 1703 this lead to this window loosing its previous non-maximized size and being "fullscreen". Don't see this on 1709 so far.

18. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I've switched to and have been running Windows 10 LTSB for a good time now, since early RS2 (CU) days. I'm sure others jumped ship to LTSB here too.

For those of you who've now come to RS3 from LTSB, how does it fair? Any improvements? Especially in terms of gaming, any benefits to upgrading?

Thanks in return for any responses.

19. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just noted 4GB VirtualAlloc() limit on DX9 applications has been finally fixed. My creative X-Fi Titanium also works fine.

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have stopped using Game mode because in every game I tested, the framerate was either the same or, in many cases, *lower* with it enabled. For example, in Forza Motorsport 7 I lose around 25-30 fps with Game mode enabled!!!

Kind of defeats its purpose really. While it might be intended more for low-end PCs and those running lots of background apps (mine does as well but Game mode doesn't increase performance at all), you would think it would have some kind of auto-check in place to test whether game performance is reduced when Game mode is enabled and, thus, recommend it not be enabled.