Middle-earth: Shadow of War

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 12, 2017.

1. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    But does it actually do a job job? I just tried the injectSMAA way and i tbh i don't see a difference.

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    This game is terrible in ps4 pro in terms of game play mechanics. Full of bugs. Action button press unresponsive. Not fluid like Assassin creedor batman. Or previous title. Shame.

3. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    This game is not loading the system graph for some reason. You know how you enabled in-game CPU, RAM, GPU, etc monitor to be usually located at the top left. Also my 1070 is not running at a solid 2000MHz, it's around 19xxMHz. Anybody else notice this? Other than that the game runs smooth.

4. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Any kind of Shelob cutscene is bugging out for me, like it makes a crackling sound then ends it. Includes that first cutscene with her and any memories. Is this happening to anyone else?

I’m also getting color banding in cutscenes despite having HDR on and 4K cutscenes enabled. Are these just upscaled 8 bit cutscenes? Lazy.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yes the Shelob scenes are broken with the 4k movie pack, last one works though.

I'm not sure what format these cutscenes are in either, it's pre-recorded so even at a higher resolution they might have some flaws and drawbacks.
    (If Talion is in it and wearing the default armor you know it's not realtime, that and I guess the unchanging framerate and there's a few that use a more CGI looking version of Talion though it might just be the intro and outro.)

6. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Well it’s not the resolution that’s the problem, it’s the bit depth. Just like with any other 8 bit content you get that color banding. It’s really noticeable when you see Celebrimbor. Just seems odd that they’d go through the trouble of making the game HDR but not actually have 10 bit color in the cutscenes.

Anyways, I’m a little concerned about how buggy this game is so far. I’m only a few hours in and I’ve encountered a whole slew of bugs. I don’t recall having any problems with the first one.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Oh that's right the cutscenes would need to be 10-bit or greater to take advantage of HDR, format is .vib and then .vibuhd for the 4K ones though these might just be containers for some more common media format for games such as BIK or BIK2 for Bink video.

And yeah the game at least auto saves often enough but I had to replay missions a few times too because triggers didn't work as they should resulting in anything from glitches to full on failing the mission instead of completing it when finishing the last objective.
    Later missions also tend to have the player jump between areas more frequently which appears to increase RAM usage, it's pretty quick initially but doing it multiple times will see loading times slow down and framerate will also take a hit. Perhaps a resource leak?
    (Even without the texture pack the game does use quite a bit of RAM and VRAM so could be something like that.)

Warner Brothers and PC support can be pretty varied, I would hope they manage to get some patches out at least while the game is still supported from DLC, not sure how much Monolith can affect things on their end either as it's usually up to the publisher.
    (Which can be a real problem for some games.)

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    I am having difficult time to PROGRESS.

I completed those QUESTS section of the first map. And was doing some killing missions. Second map became available. I kept playing in the first map. I was. Level 7. But all of a sudden level 13 - 17 captains started to appear. Why? Because I play NEMESIS difficulty? I kept dying . Had no chance against those levels . And once I was trying to kill level 8 captain, all of a sudden two level 16 and 18 captains appeared in the same arena. No chance at all.

Anyway I decided to progress on second map. Door 3 quests . Still map is full of high level captains. I am 10 now and yes I can find my level captains but mostly 2x high level captains all aroundş why?

And; I unlocked summon some fighters with me. After watching some videos and seeing screens of the game I think k was summon ORCS etc too. How? I must play more game story?

how to properly progress in this game. Focus on STORY missions? but captains seems getting more level on me. It is because of nemesis difficulty?

9. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Loving the game so far. I've been lucky, no bugs or performance issues, at all. It's running beautifully @ultra/1080p.

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, I noticed the ugly colour banding in the 4K cinematics on my ASUS ROG Switft PG279Q monitor. Why go through all the trouble of encoding FMV at 4K and then have it use what appears to be 16-bit colour?!?!?

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Weird. I'm getting the opposite. I'm at level 14 but I am encountering captains from level 5/6 to 18. I've died a few times but I've killed dozens and dozens of these captains as the combat is relatively easy. For example, you can easily run away by jumping up towers and so on, which take the orcs much longer to follow you up plus once you get the summoning ability you can call up a mount and Gondorian soldiers to aid you too. As long as you pay attention to the weaknesses of the captains then it is not that difficult to beat them. I had a battle with five of them yesterday, one of which was level 18. I beat them all and I'm no expert gamer, I can assure you! :D

Mr.Bigtime likes this.
  12. FinalKenpachi

FinalKenpachi Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Trixx
    I love this game and cinematics. I found the cinematics in game folder i wanna watch it again but i can't. The format is cinematics are .vib I don't know how to open this file or watch. Does anybody know how to do that? Thanks.

13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You need HDR(10bit color) to avoid the color banding.

14. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    Mouse controls feel really strange for me. Don't see any options to disable mouse acceleration, not even sure if that's what it is. Anyone else?

15. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    I hadn’t played Shadow of Mordor in ages but it isn’t too bad once you get into the flow of the mechanics. Had also forged my army.

The character is very clingy to ledges and such though.

I’m loving this game as much as Shadow of Mordor.

Fun these Online Vendettas.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017

16. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    The Sound is async..

17. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    It seems to happen lately since uploading via PS4 to Youtube. It never used to.

18. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Tried a second go at it.

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    to forge orc army we need to progress until story missions? to which one? am I missing something? ffs.

20. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    The game gets quite old quite quickly, it's quite the same as the first game, infinite amount of battles to gain the upper hand.

Find leader, find info on him, try to take him down, watch him speak. Sometimes flee a bit and then come back just a moment later and he will say the same boring speech again. Take control over an area which is supposedly now not active only to be active moments later. Like Far Cry 2 the enemies spawn too quickly back. They are not intimidating after having met them or similar several times over.

The controls are awkward. If you run at superspeed it is difficult to calm him down and often the FOV is too low that it is impossible to see in some corners where the player actually is. Also, after certain animations the camera zooms out too slowly which makes it impossible to see if someone with for instance a spear is about to hit you. The level geometry doesn't work that well either, as there are numerous occations where the player gets stuck in places where it should simply be about sneaking forward (or whatever).

Sometimes I get the humiliation thing on myself despite that I actually did just fine.

A bit fun to hear the Penguin in the game, the same voice-actor but as it plays now it is bad Batman copy. I kind of liked the puzzles as that was something I had never seen before though.

To those who have not purchased yet, wait until it is on a sale, this won't do.

Mr.Bigtime likes this.