Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL costs 799 and 939 euros

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Google has presented its Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL smartphones. Google  is using the new high-end smartphones and Android Oreo operating system to demonstrate its possibilities.The devices cost 799 and...

Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL costs 799 and 939 euros

2. Dwwolf

Dwwolf Guest

GPU:
    R380X
    No headphonejack = no buy.

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Kind of split on this phone.

$849 is a lot to pay up-front on one hand compared to the Galaxy S8+ that has more features (headphone, SD, bigger screen in similar sized body, etc).... however, Google is right when they say that their software is their strength. Right now I'm around $2-$3 a month for Drive storage that is mostly taken up by Photos and videos. If I get this phone, I get unlimited storage for them so I would be saving around $36 a year (and getting more space) just on that....

That, and Google might actually be serious about hardware in light of its recent acquisition of HTC engineers... or it could just be Google and they will shut down this whole project in a few months.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Seems like Nexus phones used to get about 3 years of updates directly from Google too, so there is that benefit too. Even though that's a pretty long time to keep a phone.

5. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I still have my galaxy s5, but its extremely slow and the battery doesnt last as long anymore.

However, I kinda wanted to go for a phone that can be wirelessly charged, that seems kind of cool. Unfortunately, that isnt the Pixel 2. I do like the fact that the Pixel 2 is directly from google, so updates will be much faster.

Hmm, I can't make up my mind. It would probably be up between this and the S8.

Quite expensive too...

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I recently bought a OnePlus 5 and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a fan of Apple or Samsung, as the costs are simply unjustified vs specs. These look interesting, though the price seems to be a bit too high. Google Drive is pretty nice, though since I already have the Office 365 1TB Onedrive for photos (and stuff from my PC), I use it exclusively for phone back-up.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    We need more developers that actually give long term support. Apple is great with the iPhone line for support, and only reason the Nexus program before was on a 2 year fixed update schedule was because of the fact that the Nexus devices used to have a lower cost, but seeing that these devices from Google are now getting up there(which they have been since the Nexus 6 honestly), they need to give proper support.

8. Titan29

Titan29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 | 7900XTX
    Was in the market for a new android phone as my S3 is getting really old and slow, and was eagerly awaiting Pixel 2 launch. However, was disappointed looking at the specs (missing features compared to S8) and high price. Also, the fact that it will get only 2 years of OS updates (same as other manufacturers like Samsung). Ordered an S8 plus right away.
    Cost me USD $780 including import duty and shipping (ordered from Amazon US).

9. Moto_Life

Moto_Life Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 1070 gaming X
    Not very impressive for the price.

StewieTech likes this.
  10. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Yeah im not impressed either. For that price you would expect an all around top piece.

I mean thats almost 1000 bucks. People have to work a lot for that kind of cash to spend it on a phone to make calls and watch youtube,

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    This.

Also, I guess I understand the price because it looks like Google did spend hundreds of Euros on such massive amount of bezels. It looks like they're trying to rival Apple in the chunky-ass bezel arms race.

Call me crazy, but I'll stick with slim bezel phones, thanks. It's honestly sad to see the Nexus line turn into this crap.

scoter man1 likes this.
  12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I think I speak for a decent amount of people when I say we're all still waiting for a worthy Nexus 5 successor. The 5x was okay, but gimped by the cpu. The pixels just cost way too much. Plus the dev community was/is freakin awesome.

13. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I have google fi and have a nexus 5x I want to replace, and I was worried these would be my only options since I can only use fi with the 'official' google phones. Fortunately they just announced the moto x4 for $400 plus I get ~$115 + $50 credit back for trading in my 5x, so really it'll end up being a bit under $250. Screw paying a grand for a phone lol

*Edit* Looking at those 'features', I'd actually take the $400 motorola phone over any of them, purely because it has a headphone jack and a micro-sd slot. That literally makes it a better phone in my view than the ones they're asking over twice as much for.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I was thinking about jumping on that deal myself. I have a Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P....and I'd trade both of them at this point for that Moto X.....unfortunately, it's not an option for me quite yet.

15. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    my S3 is getting slow... think it's time to upgrade to a s6e. Gotta love the second hand market ( warehouse leftovers). :D