CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) Tips, Tricks and Monitors OC (LCD/LED/CRT)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 3, 2016.

1. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    I just got a Samsung C32HG70, and as reported by other users the Freesync range seems to be locked to 90-120, or 80-120 ("ultimate" engine), although the display can do 144 Hz, and should be Freesync 2 compatible, which should require a much lower frequency - I guess this is some Firmware or Driver bug.

But even with CRU it didn't seem possible to override the frequency, but I think I may have just found some way, by deleting this Vendor Specific entry:

[​IMG]

After this is deleted all range settings actually work, but also the (probably fake) 10 bit display color option is removed from Radeon Settings:

[​IMG]

Only now I have some minor flickering in 144 Hz, I guess I'll have to see if I can remove this, before deciding if I return the display, because of all the problems.

Edit: 10bit still works up to 120 Hz.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    What happened to reading the EDID of Freesync 2 monitors and seeing what they have compared to your normal freesync monitors.

Last i tried to enable freesync on my monitor - the feature was enabled but tearing was still happening.

3. mor619dx

mor619dx Guest

GPU:
    RX 480
    My message was deleted because of the forum update.

I'm having a problem, everytime I get in the range of the freesync I defined the screen goes black and blanking, Tried many refresh rates and many ranges and couldn't get it to work.

What causing this black screen? what do I need to change?

Here is all the settings I set:
    http://imgur.com/a/gtFIq

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Monitor HDMI is 1.4
    Graphics card is RX480

When I reach 55+ fps in the demos the screen goes black.

My monitor just might not be suitable to freesync :(

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Set your max FPS for FreeSync = to your monitor's max FPS. Do NOT go by the advice of others who have said that you should be so many frames less than max, because that was debunked by AMD_Robert on Reddit.

Your V rate limits seem way off for Range Limits. Use the monitor's actual settings. No need to make that range match FreeSync. In fact, that can cause problems.

5. mor619dx

mor619dx Guest

GPU:
    RX 480
    My monitor max fps do you mean the refresh rate?

Not sure I understood the V rate limits, I found the manual of my screen (P2417H) in here:
    https://cc.cnetcontent.com/inlineco...67594404764a4b31ad1540827c878f52/original.pdf

[​IMG]

I saw it is written 'Vertical scan range: 56 Hz to 76 Hz (automatic) so I assume this is the range - is it not? or I need to find it by myself?

I changed the V rate limits to 56 - 76, and the FreeSync range to 55-65 Hz.
    Now every time I open the AMD Freesync test and remove the vsync option so only freesync will be enable the screen goes black (flickering), what do I need to change?

here the pictures of the settings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Here's a quote from Reddit from AMD_Robert in regards to setting up FreeSync with and without VSync / FRTC (It demonstrates why turning off VSync with FreeSync may not be desirable):

I hope this answers yours and other people's questions in regards to FreeSync setups.

7. alessander

alessander Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56
    I have V32F390F Samsung monitor (1920x1080 60Hz, HDMI 1.4).
    After executing the instructions on the first page, FreeSync is activated in the driver. Check in the windmill AMD utility leads to a spontaneous transition of the monitor to 50Hz. At 50Hz, FreeSync runs nice and more smoothly than Vsync. But any other refresh rate lead to black screen. It's the same in games.
    Vertical Frequency 24 - 72 Hz is indicated in the spec, but any refresh rate (setup in CRU) more than 60Hz on 1920x1080 lead to black screen. Some other resolutions with a refresh rate of less than 60Hz also don't work. Although 1280x1024 75Hz is working fine.

Am I understand correctly that scalar is installed on this monitor, and this is the cause of the problems?
    Are there any solutions in my case?
    (translated by Google)

8. slizersam

slizersam Active Member

GPU:
    Vega64
    Hi, this has to be the topic to resolve this:
    [​IMG]
    bougt a vega64 card and ofc no dvi port, so i got lucky on ebay and got the adapter that should work.
    https://www.startech.com/AV/Display...ual-Link-DVI-Video-Adapter-Converter~DP2DVID2
    anything above 60hz results in grain like bad tvreception.
    xl2411 144hz ran 144hz flawlessly with 7970.
    i switch to desired refreshrates the osd says the correct rate etc and what i can spot the pointer move as its the correct refreshrate.

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Would help to know what model of monitor.

10. slizersam

slizersam Active Member

GPU:
    Vega64
    sorry Benq xl2411t

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    1) According to the device's information, it should support up to a 120Hz @ 1080p. If it's messing up at 60Hz, I suspect the DVI cable you are using is causing this.

2) Try using the monitor with HDMI directly to your card's HDMI port. Why you bothered using an adapter is really beyond me, unless you are using multiple monitors and the HDMI port is already taken.

3) Personally, I would have gotten a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter instead. Tho, I do not see in your manual whether the HDMI port does or does not support 144.

I used these when I had a 1080p x 3 setup (1080p @ 75Hz):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F90H9BY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12. slizersam

slizersam Active Member

GPU:
    Vega64
    Hdmi cable only options 60hz.

tested two dvi-dl same results.

also tested with a similar type you linked but dp-dvi active max 60hz aswell. and two with no active mark.

guess its time to retire this monitor:)

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Try forcing the monitor to 120Hz. I noticed your adapter only supports 1080p@120. Having at 144 in Windows may be causing some misconfig with the adapter.

"Hdmi cable only options 60hz."

The HDMI port is only 1.2? I ask because HDMI 1.3 can do 1080p@120. Have you tried using a 1.4 or 2.0 compliant cable?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  14. slizersam

slizersam Active Member

GPU:
    Vega64
    this gigabyte vega64:
    3 x DisplayPort 1.4
    1 x HDMI 2.0
    i have two HDMI cables avaiable not sure how to tell but only one says "High Speed HDMI^tm cable.
    both cables list a maximum of 60hz in windows10
    The Benq xl2411t use the HDMI 1.4a.

edit hdmi 720p@120hz works.
    a custom resolution on 1080p@120hz says not compatible.
    using custom resolution in amd radeon settings

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    The monitor is HDMI 1.4a, and the HDMI on the Vega is 2.0, then your cables are old 1.2. Time to get a 1.4 or better cable. Monoprice has a very lovely and inexpensive selection.

Also make sure when connected via HDMI whether the EDID shows modes for 144Hz. Unfortunately your manual doesn't confirm what performance the HDMI is rated for, but since it doesn't specify, and not having DisplayPort, that it should support full capacity.

16. adi32

adi32 Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5750 1GB
    Hello

I have ATI 5750 and windows 10 with a Samsung tv
    I want to have refresh rate 50hz in games because in 60hz tv has not dynamic mode and the colors are very poor.
    I can't set 50hz in some games like fifa in full screen (goes to 60HZ)
    I added a custom resolution to Ati catalyst CC with 50hz but always fifa open with 60hz

With Custom Resolution Utility I can't select 50HZ This option is red and the minimum is 60

I search a way to delete all resolutions with 60hz and to have only 50

17. d0X

d0X Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2070S Ventus
    Any luck with this? Because I get the HDMI Scaling option, but no FreeSync, so I guess the HDMI block is partially working.

18. z8373767

z8373767 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT/8650G+7970M
    Anybody with 144hz and Freesync monitor here? I need a screenshot from CRU or AMD Settings for 144Hz profile settings.
    My AOC G2460PF have Scanlines problem + some blinking blank pixels near corner. AOC 144Hz profile seems to be very poor. I found 144hz profile from one of the Acer monitor, Blinking 100% solved, Scanlines solved in desktop, but in-game still exsist. My solution for this was overclock refresh rate to 146Hz, but in that way blinking pixels still exsist.
    Im using DP cable which delivered with monitor. Maybe buy some more quality cable?

PS: Monitor is fine, working with GTX 970 greatly in 144Hz mode.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  19. HuMa

HuMa Member

GPU:
    7950 WF3 @ 1150/1500
    Hello guys, i have a problem, i have 60hz monitor, the maximum hz that my monitor support for 1920x1080 is 70hz i play CSGO so i need 4:3 black bars resolution, the problem is the next: if i use for example 1280x1024 at any refresh above 70hz i cant have black bars, i have to play stretched, its so weird, the monitor support 75 or 80hz at lower resoluitions, but seems like the GPU scalation setting dont work at any refresh above 70hz, i can have black bars at any resolution @70hz but i cant have the black bars above 70hz even if the resolution is supported by my monitor i have AMD gpu, anyone knows any fix for it? thank you

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV